IGNORED

Rovers Ground

Super

The same point which you managed against Bradford City last week who we drew with at home last year as well..Oh by the way as regards us "taking advantage of them" Did BRISTOL CITY (as you once WERE) not take advantage of all asundry including eight of your own players and therefore held your own ground by default? This taking advantage of a situation is no difference whatsoever to what we done. Only difference is that wedidnt have to change our name to Bristol Rovers 1996.

Anyway im done with you morons. Perhaps if you thought more about your very existence instead of worrying about our ground you might br=ecome a football team that everybody doesn't hate (your words on an earlier topic not mine. Good riddance to bad shit!

The same point which you managed against Bradford City last week who we drew with at home last year as well..Oh by the way as regards us "taking advantage of them" Did BRISTOL CITY (as you once WERE) not take advantage of all asundry including eight of your own players and therefore held your own ground by default? This taking advantage of a situation is no difference whatsoever to what we done. Only difference is that wedidnt have to change our name to Bristol Rovers 1996.

Anyway im done with you morons. Perhaps if you thought more about your very existence instead of worrying about our ground you might br=ecome a football team that everybody doesn't hate (your words on an earlier topic not mine. Good riddance to bad shit!

Bye then. Retard

That's good shit surely? You seem to keep coming back for more. You must be addicted to the good shit!

Time for a name change I would suggest. Slightlypeevedgas should do it!

I could not give a toss about your ground. But I do give a toss with the mem becoming a supermarket on what is a war memorial. The Ashton Gate eight is completely different and you know it. I am really hoping that the mem stays a war memorial for rugby players and you get a new ground by other means.

Why has this ******* retard not been banned.

So happy your ground plans are going up in

smoke.. Pathetic little club that doesn't even need a new ground..

So if the gates and plaque were changed from where they are to another entrance and the inscriptions improved by putting them 8 feet higher would that be ok too,as i understand it the gates are listed,so why isn't the ground

Another thing i asked earlier is if anyone actually knows if the whole area was given as a memorial or not ,no one can give a conclusive answer, or point to any documentation that says that, the only thing i can find is a small clipping that says sir cowlin chairman of the rugby club secured some land for the club, it doesnt mention fully if he bought it or used some of the fund from the sale of bristol's old ground. Im just trying to find the truth based on evidence not assumptions.

Again, as I said to Friendlygas, I'm not going to comment on why SL does this or why SL puts money into that because I'm not his accountant. Write to him yourself with your cute conspiracy theory and see what he says.

Im not sure I understand your first question. IF the ground WAS given to the Rugby club for sport to be played in memory of soldiers who died in WW1 (which seems to be the common belief) then changing the purpose of the venue would mean that sporting activity could no longer take place. Im not sure that anyone knows this for absolute definate and I believe documents have been lost however when you start messing around with War Memorials you shouldn't be so ******* surprised when people ask questions. The whole Gas victim mentality..."you're only moaning coz it's the Gas and you're jealous of our new ground", is massively deluded. How difficult is it to understand, especially in today's climate, that people feel that things like Memorials are very important? As custodians of the Mem people will ask questions about your handling of it, so tough sh1t.

Whatever the truths behind it all I still think a memorial for dead sportsman is somewhere where sport is played not a car park for a supermarket, but that's just my opinion.

Is a war memorial at threat from development ?, I would say yes.

So report your concern

www.warmemorials.org

conservation@warmemorials.org

tel: 02072337356

After having a good read of the FAQ and Definition of a War Memorial on that site, I would say there is definitely a good case for it to be reported and at least investigated further. Can a JR be granted for such reasons though?

A JR is granted for procedural errors/maladministration etc.

Tranmere have just got planning for a memorial field where Wirral council deleted a covenant - I would think that will be called in.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/campaigners-upset-after-wirral-council-3009785

Covenants are notoriously difficult to remove and its not as easy as the council just deleting it.

Interesting to see how that one turns out.

Don't get me wrong, I think their new stadium is well placed and the integration with the UWE a good idea. But selling off a war memorial to enable it? Doesn't sound right to me.

Again, as I said to Friendlygas, I'm not going to comment on why SL does this or why SL puts money into that because I'm not his accountant. Write to him yourself with your cute conspiracy theory and see what he says.

Im not sure I understand your first question. IF the ground WAS given to the Rugby club for sport to be played in memory of soldiers who died in WW1 (which seems to be the common belief) then changing the purpose of the venue would mean that sporting activity could no longer take place. Im not sure that anyone knows this for absolute definate and I believe documents have been lost however when you start messing around with War Memorials you shouldn't be so ******* surprised when people ask questions. The whole Gas victim mentality..."you're only moaning coz it's the Gas and you're jealous of our new ground", is massively deluded. How difficult is it to understand, especially in today's climate, that people feel that things like Memorials are very important? As custodians of the Mem people will ask questions about your handling of it, so tough sh1t.

Whatever the truths behind it all I still think a memorial for dead sportsman is somewhere where sport is played not a car park for a supermarket, but that's just my opinion.

There's no conspiracy theories, i never slagged of SL i just said based on the timelines of what's happened and his involvement with the rugby club it was a very shrewd business move, tbh if i was in his shoes i would have done the same bide my time and then move the rugby club while their hatred was facing elsewhere, again even if rovers had held onto the ground the rugby club were going to move to the gate.

my first question was directly related to your post about improvements to a memorial your bit in bold If the ground was left for SPORT to be played in memory of fallen soldiers associated with Bristol Rugby Club then it doesn't matter what changes take place to the actual stands, the purpose of the venue remains the same. , i simply asked that if the gates were moved and improved would that also be acceptable.

For me personally the ground will never be a memorial as i was to sit in the ground on remembrance day, it wouldn't do anything for me, but if i stand at the gates then its powerfully emotive for me to remember friends and family that didn't come home, and in my mind what sainsburys are doing is better than what's there somewhere to sit and reflect on lost friends family and strangers,again it opens the memorial to be seen by more people who doesn't even know it exists, why do you think the remembrance services are held at the gates and not say in the changing rooms. you also mention in todays climate, well what better way to ensure that more people can see the memorial than having a dedicated tidy area. War memorials get moved often at least this one will be preserved, but You can believe what you want of me but i tell you this if the boot was on the other foot and your club owned the mem then i would say exactly the same thing.

Oh theres no gas victim mentality here. i just believe in better facilities in bristol,

Bizi as an egg chaser who has played there the significance is huge. From the moment you walk through the gates to getting changed and then running out there be it for Bristol, the combination or your club side in a cup final it is massive to feel the tradition. The times I have been fortunate to play there have been spine tingling and I always paid my respects to the fallen.

Remember it was given to the Rugby players of Bristol, which includes every Bristol Combination side.

I couldnt give a monkeys if the gas get a new stadium if its better than ours or anything else quite frankly, I do give a monkeys that they are trying to do so on selling ground given to me and other Rugby players in memory of the fallen.

I am hoping that a document is found that prevents this gross violation of sacred ground.

There's no conspiracy theories, i never slagged of SL i just said based on the timelines of what's happened and his involvement with the rugby club it was a very shrewd business move, tbh if i was in his shoes i would have done the same bide my time and then move the rugby club while their hatred was facing elsewhere, again even if rovers had held onto the ground the rugby club were going to move to the gate.

my first question was directly related to your post about improvements to a memorial your bit in bold If the ground was left for SPORT to be played in memory of fallen soldiers associated with Bristol Rugby Club then it doesn't matter what changes take place to the actual stands, the purpose of the venue remains the same. , i simply asked that if the gates were moved and improved would that also be acceptable.

Depends where they are moved to, another position at the Mem or alternative sporting venue then why not? My point is that if you dedicate a piece of land for sporting activity to take place in memory of fallen soldiers then that activity is just as important as the thing that tells you it is a memorial.

For me personally the ground will never be a memorial as i was to sit in the ground on remembrance day, it wouldn't do anything for me, but if i stand at the gates then its powerfully emotive for me to remember friends and family that didn't come home, and in my mind what sainsburys are doing is better than what's there somewhere to sit and reflect on lost friends family and strangers,again it opens the memorial to be seen by more people who doesn't even know it exists, why do you think the remembrance services are held at the gates and not say in the changing rooms. you also mention in todays climate, well what better way to ensure that more people can see the memorial than having a dedicated tidy area. War memorials get moved often at least this one will be preserved, but You can believe what you want of me but i tell you this if the boot was on the other foot and your club owned the mem then i would say exactly the same thing.

This demonstrates the different ideas people have about how lost ones should be remembered after they are gone. Some people like yourself prefer quiet reflection, some people like me think that engaging in activities those people would have enjoyed is just as important. There is no right or wrong way in this matter. In an ideal world it would be possible to upgrade the Mem (no, I'm not going to guess why SL hasn't bought it himself). This is something you planned to do in the past but clearly the finances were down the bog. It's a shame. We have all got our own opinions, you lot need to understand that questions will get asked for the right reasons if you profit from selling a Memorial especially as you were fortunate to acquire it yourselves through the financial mismanagement of the Rugby club.

TIz the ground was given to Bristol rugby club in the 20's by the chairman after selling the old ground previously, with additional land given for the combination(as far as i can tell which again begs the question was this land part of a memorial too). so who sold the combination land and who actually sold the mem, and one no rugby fans will answer is no matter what happened to the mem you were always going to be playing at the Gate.

I too have played at the mem, but the only excitement for me was playing on a professional pitch, as i said i feel more by standing at the gates, now if the stone memorial was at the entrance to the pitch then i would feel different about it.

The thing is everyone says rovers selling the land etc, its true but and heres the big but rovers bought the land, and don't forget how the land was acquired, forcing people off the land by raising rent(who were trying to feed themselves in a time of little money and food) so that the land could be sold on to cowlin

Depends where they are moved to, another position at the Mem or alternative sporting venue then why not? My point is that if you dedicate a piece of land for sporting activity to take place in memory of fallen soldiers then that activity is just as important as the thing that tells you it is a memorial.

This demonstrates the different ideas people have about how lost ones should be remembered after they are gone. Some people like yourself prefer quiet reflection, some people like me think that engaging in activities those people would have enjoyed is just as important. There is no right or wrong way in this matter. In an ideal world it would be possible to upgrade the Mem (no, I'm not going to guess why SL hasn't bought it himself). This is something you planned to do in the past but clearly the finances were down the bog. It's a shame. We have all got our own opinions, you lot need to understand that questions will get asked for the right reasons if you profit from selling a Memorial especially as you were fortunate to acquire it yourselves through the financial mismanagement of the Rugby club.

I can only speak for myself but i feel deep down this is the way forward as more people get to see the memorial, at the end of the day yes we did acquire the ground cheap but that was a clause inserted by the rugby club, and it backfired, any club in the world would have bought it when the rugby club screed up later, unfortunately football and rugby is just a business these days to the owners, and again i really don't understand all the whining about the poor rugby club, facts are we bought the ground, the rugby club has continued to exist(we could easily have said right we own the ground get out when we bought it). SL owns the rugby club but wasn't ever going to pay for two sights (again good business move on his part), so the rugby has had a cash injection, so both rovers and city have had a direct involvement in keeping the rugby club going, how different would it have been if someone else bought it and threw the rugby club out, if that had happened then they would be a non pro club by now that's the harsh realities. and again even if we redeveloped the site the rugby club would not be playing there anyway. but like you said everyone has opinions on what constitutes a memorial

TIz the ground was given to Bristol rugby club in the 20's by the chairman after selling the old ground previously, with additional land given for the combination(as far as i can tell which again begs the question was this land part of a memorial too). so who sold the combination land and who actually sold the mem, and one no rugby fans will answer is no matter what happened to the mem you were always going to be playing at the Gate.

I too have played at the mem, but the only excitement for me was playing on a professional pitch, as i said i feel more by standing at the gates, now if the stone memorial was at the entrance to the pitch then i would feel different about it.but it isn't

The thing is everyone says about rovers selling the land etc, its true but and heres the big but rovers bought the land from the rugby club, and don't forget how the land was acquired initially for the rugby club, forcing people off the land by raising rent(who were trying to feed themselves in a time of little money and food) so that the land could be sold on to cowlin

reposted as i had a homer moment and missed a bit from the other post grrrrr

My understanding is somewhat different Bizi. Can I ask where you are getting your facts from. I really do mean this in a polite way and am not trying to stoke up conflict.

Tiz pm me with the specific info you want(as it will take yonks to find all of it again ) and i'll send it on

Bizi the fact remains for me that the ground is a memorial for Rugby players of Bristol and it is in my opinion a gross violation to sell it off for a supermarket. The issue of what SL would have done is seperate from that. If as has been suggested Mr lansdown had gone down the route I would have been equally as unhappy.

Don't rush back will you!

will do Bizi I will try and relocate mine but fear I will never find the links again. I played for some 30 years for Cleve ( Bristol and the combination as well ) and was equally unhappy when the club moved and the same arguments were opened thats when I got to hear and see much of the deeds regarding the Mem as someone brought it up at an AGM. I was appeased with the Cleve situation due to the gates being moved and the fact that the ground is still given for the puropse of playing Rugby on. Moving the gates for me is a big no as regardless to the ground they must stay there.

Tiz

the gates aren't going anywhere, if they were believe me id be screaming from the top of my lungs, i just feel that the park will be a better place to reflect than whats there now, anyway pm with what facts you want and i will send em on

You're alright, Fordingbridge Pirate is a good poster, even Danny when he isn't inviting vitriol with little digs. Shouldn't ban Gasheads just for being Gasheads imo.

Shame it's not reciprocal on their forum.....the minute you say anything they don't like or hits a nerve your banned.....they like to try and give it but really can't take it

You're alright, Fordingbridge Pirate is a good poster, even Danny when he isn't inviting vitriol with little digs. Shouldn't ban Gasheads just for being Gasheads imo.

I agree, you can chuck nailsea cookie in there as well. Friendly gas and pepsi and shirley on the other hand..................................

Archived