IGNORED

Any Successful Boring Managers?

BCFC Jimmer

Its about building the football club, not being a court jester. Plenty of boring bosses have success:
Moyes
Revie
Ramsey
Pellegrini

Anyway, I don't find SO'D boring. He doesn't bleat the same clichéd rubbish you hear from 99% of managers. His responses in interviews are original, which stops me from getting bored.

Depends what you define as boring. I don't find a manager who talks sense and without cliches as boring. Neil Warnock and Ian Holloway with their pathetic 'look at me' interviews are dull.

Suppose some people want a clown who jumps around a lot and talks out of their arse 24/7. Not for me thanks. I couldn't give a damn if SO'D is media friendly - the local journos need to raise the bar and ask some half-decent questions for one, no wonder he's so short with them.

Just waiting on interviewers to stop asking him if player X will take confidence from that goal/performance. He gives the same answer everytime "i dont know, you would have to ask him". Love it.

I love Sods forthrightness, you'd think the interviewer would have sussed by now the type of questions that have a reasonable chance of Sod being able to answer, not having to second guess someone else's thought process.

People who don't understand cricket say its a boring game. Same principle applies to our managers interviews.

Well cricket is possibly my favourite sport so I find your comparison to be somewhat wide of the mark.

I can appreciate that SOD is talking sense and the OP never bought that into question. Doesn't make him dull and monotonous to listen to.

Most of the suggestions of other boring managers dont cut the mustard for me. Even Moyes, Wenger, Fergie are always more interesting to listen to IMO...

I can't even be bothered to reply to most of the posts on here. Not been on here a while but I forgot how most people just seem to compeltely miss the point!

He talks football and talks a lot of sense as well. Would people rather him talk about what him and his misses got up to the night before?

I've been impressed with most his interviews. When the likes of tinman, GJ and Millen were managers I often thought they came across as thick and didn't really know what they were on about.

That's a bit disrespectful to one of our greatest ever managers. I'd rather have results than someone who's articulate in interviews.

The only thing I've grown bored of is how we always seem to need something to moan about. I think a lot of our fans are happier when we're losing a lot, without that it's less obvious what we can moan about.

Well we currently lost 2 out of 3 having drawn the other league game, so it can't be that!

Well cricket is possibly my favourite sport so I find your comparison to be somewhat wide of the mark.

I can appreciate that SOD is talking sense and the OP never bought that into question. Doesn't make him dull and monotonous to listen to.

Most of the suggestions of other boring managers dont cut the mustard for me. Even Moyes, Wenger, Fergie are always more interesting to listen to IMO...

I can't even be bothered to reply to most of the posts on here. Not been on here a while but I forgot how most people just seem to compeltely miss the point!

Interesting... So you think Moyes, Wenger and Fergie are more 'Interesting' to listen too?

What have they said that is more 'Interesting' than SoD?

I can't recall anything they've ever said that has gone into so much detail about what they are trying to achieve at their Clubs.

I really don't think people on here have 'missed the point'.

You suggested in your OP, that the media would not be so forthcoming and the Club would lose attention, because of SoD's personality. I've never heard so much bunkum in all my life. Do you honestly think the media would show less attention to City because of SoD's interview technique?

The bloke or Club can't win it seems.

We've been asking for years for the manager and Club to be more transparent and to connect better with the fans, and when something positive happens, someone nit picks on their 'personality'.

No wonder SoD looks and sounds disinterested, because deep down he know's he's addressing a lot of friggin morons who won't get anything he's talking about anyway, and who know **** all about football.

You only have to read this forum to know that.

Not a dig at you personally... but imho... regardless of SoD's personality, he's been a breath of fresh air to this Club.

My biggest worry is there are so many 'City fans' who don't have the patience or ability to see what he's trying to achieve, and will eventually push him out, if they don't get what they want quickly.

I have to say I couldn't disagree more with the opinion that O'Driscoll is boring.

If you want someone that is going to offer up catchphrases, clichés and matey 'banter' then you're going to be disappointed, but personally those are the last things I want when listening to the manager of my team. Obviously his accent is up there with the worst you can possibly imagine, but if you actually listen to what he has to say I find him much more interesting than the vast majority of managers and he actually seems to want to tell the fans much more than most which has surprised me about him. He obviously gets irritated by pointless questions that are looking for nothing more than tired clichés, and I don't blame him. Plus, he is clearly aware that he may not be the most enthusiastic interviewee in the world, but has gone out his way to try and communicate with the fans. Lengthy and detailed programme notes, turning up on Twentyman, going to the fan's parliament etc..

I couldn't imagine anything worse than having a Holloway or Di Canio type figure who it would seem the media are interested in hearing from as they offer up soundbites and easy headlines, but what do they actually tell the fans of the team they're actually managing? As Doc Brown said about Holloway last season 'he is a bit like diarrhea, funny when it's happening to someone else, but irritating when you've got it'.

I accept I am naturally biased on the subject, but I really do miss what people find funny in Holloway. Fair play to him he did two or three funny interviews about ten years ago when he was QPR manager, but since then he has stumbled from one cringeworthy interview riddled with b****** to another. Yet we're all meant to be happy he is back in the Premier League because he is a 'character'? Nonsense.

Interesting... So you think Moyes, Wenger and Fergie are more 'Interesting' to listen too?

I can't recall anything they've ever said that has gone into so much detail about what they are trying to achieve at their Clubs.

You suggested in your OP, that the media would not be so forthcoming and the Club would lose attention, because of SoD's personality. I've never heard so much bunkum in all my life. Do you honestly think the media would show less attention to City because of SoD's interview technique?

We've been asking for years for the manager and Club to be more transparent and to connect better with the fans, and when something positive happens, someone nit picks on their 'personality'.

No wonder SoD looks and sounds disinterested, because deep down he know's he's addressing a lot of friggin morons who won't get anything he's talking about anyway, and who know **** all about football.

Not a dig at you personally... but imho... regardless of SoD's personality, he's been a breath of fresh air to this Club.

My biggest worry is there are so many 'City fans' who don't have the patience or ability to see what he's trying to achieve, and will eventually push him out, if they don't get what they want quickly.

Couldn't agree more!

For sure I'm nit picking but I do honestly think that SOD's interview techniques mean we will get less exposure in the media. I don't think that is an unreasonable statement at all. Whether its is right or wrong is a completely different matter but the 'big guns' (Sky Sports News, BBC etc) are not going to be interested in a League One manager talking about various formations used in a practice match in training.

I like Wenger, Fergie, etc becasue there is a bit of comradery and gamesmanship there. Something that Sean clearly lacks.

At the end of the day I'm not going to take any of this into account when judging the man. Entertainment on the pitch and results are essentially all i care about. Maybe I was playing devils advocate by bringing this up in the first place.

The rest of your post is pretty embarrassing because it sounds like you have thrown your toys out the pram.

Precisely so. I just think SOD is a bit uncomfortable in front of the mic and dislikes the 'media' part of his job. At the same time, he's a switched on guy and he knows that it's part and parcel of the game. I'm sure he'd say it's something to be endured rather than be enjoyed.

I gather he's a completely different man when the journos have gone home.

Ah its then that hé puts on the red nose and oversized shoes is it ?

I think if you find someone boring it says miles more about you than it does about the person themselves.

SO'D does not like the media side of the job - it has little bearing on whether he is successful. He regularly has a microphone shoved in front of him and is asked a load of banal, thoughtless questions. He memorably scalded Twentystone with the retort 'media question' last season. In other words, 'you should know better than that - you use to play the game'. One gets the impression he doesn't suffer fools and so must be in a permanent state of irritation when answering questions from our local media. That in itself shows character.

This thread makes me think of a scene towards the end of Pulp Fiction when Winston Wolfe (played by Harvey Keitel) says to a woman 'just because you are a Character, doesn't mean that you have character'.

SO'D seems to be the kind of person with character and that is what we need throughout the club.

For sure I'm nit picking but I do honestly think that SOD's interview techniques mean we will get less exposure in the media. I don't think that is an unreasonable statement at all. Whether its is right or wrong is a completely different matter but the 'big guns' (Sky Sports News, BBC etc) are not going to be interested in a League One manager talking about various formations used in a practice match in training.

I like Wenger, Fergie, etc becasue there is a bit of comradery and gamesmanship there. Something that Sean clearly lacks.

At the end of the day I'm not going to take any of this into account when judging the man. Entertainment on the pitch and results are essentially all i care about. Maybe I was playing devils advocate by bringing this up in the first place.

The rest of your post is pretty embarrassing because it sounds like you have thrown your toys out the pram.

Why does it matter about media exposure?

It's about the football.

Why does it matter about media exposure?

It's about the football.

Of course it matters if you want the profile of the club to be raised. Moving up the league is obviously the main driving force in media exposure but if you have a manager who is good in front of the camera it makes a difference for sure.

I am quite happy to let the media circus pass us by as the club go quietly about the process of developing something worthwhile .

I agrée that SOD is not Mr Entertainment but equally hé is educating (or trying to educate ) all around him on a system and style of thinking and being which applys not only to footie but life in general.For those bright enough to LISTEN you could learn important lessons on how to improve the quality of your lives .SOD is smart ,do yourselves a favour benefit from the time he's with us .

What's the point of being Devils advocate, when all it will achieve is negativity... or are you just on a wind up?

The only time the 'big guns' are interested in soundbites from League 1 managers is if they are Buffoon like ( think Warnock, Holloway etc ) Do you really want your Club to be associated with such 'Clown Like' behaviour?

Has our exposure been any less to when we were last in League 1?

I can understand people on here ranting about things that can be improved at the Club... but having a go at our manager's 'Personality' is absurd, because you can't do anything about it. It is what it is....

I'd much rather have respect from Professionals and fans alike based on what we are trying to achieve, and the way we go about it.

Think along the lines of Dario Gradi at Crewe.

Toy's are firmly in the pram thanks :-)

Of course it matters if you want the profile of the club to be raised. Moving up the league is obviously the main driving force in media exposure but if you have a manager who is good in front of the camera it makes a difference for sure.

I'm sorry but we have completely different approaches. I measure success in terms of the performance of the team. You seem to measure it terms of media coverage, with the performance of the team just part of the overall objective of getting on Sky Sports News more.

What difference does that make to me?

I support Bristol City, I couldn't give a shite what the media or other fans think of our club.

S'OD is a real refreshing change from the " joker " managers. I would rather listen to him speak than most other managers. Why, because what he says makes sense, end of.

What's the point of being Devils advocate, when all it will achieve is negativity... or are you just on a wind up?

The only time the 'big guns' are interested in soundbites from League 1 managers is if they are Buffoon like ( think Warnock, Holloway etc ) Do you really want your Club to be associated with such 'Clown Like' behaviour?

Has our exposure been any less to when we were last in League 1?

I can understand people on here ranting about things that can be improved at the Club... but having a go at our manager's 'Personality' is absurd, because you can't do anything about it. It is what it is....

I'd much rather have respect from Professionals and fans alike based on what we are trying to achieve, and the way we go about it.

Think along the lines of Dario Gradi at Crewe.

Toy's are firmly in the pram thanks :-)

There is no manager out there that I would prefer to SOD right now (definitely wouldn't want a Warnock, Di Canio etc) so I don’t know why you are inferring I am against him. I just think he is incredibly dull and that has the potential to reflect badly on the club.

Difference of opinion and it will never be proven either way I guess. Too say I was 'Having a go' was a bit much too. Those toys keep slipping...

What is this no personality rubbish? He has a personality, maybe A dour one but a personality.

What goes for personality now? Getting his wang out and rubbing it on the camera? Talking bollox and making yourself look an arse like holloway? Twitching away while undermining other managers on tv while trying to look like a cheeky chappy?

Give me SOD any day. Says it pretty much as it is, not sugar coated. And from what I can see the truth, nothing hidden behind spin.

If you prefer a pop culture cliché freak, well each to their own.

Well said that man........its the content that counts NOT the delivery style...if you listened to what was being SAID you would not be bored by SOD

There is no manager out there that I would prefer to SOD right now (definitely wouldn't want a Warnock, Di Canio etc) so I don’t know why you are inferring I am against him. I just think he is incredibly dull and that has the potential to reflect badly on the club.

Difference of opinion and it will never be proven either way I guess. Too say I was 'Having a go' was a bit much too. Those toys keep slipping...

I disagree mate, SOD's got a very good reputation in football which I think actually reflects very well on the club. Who cares if other fans may take the piss about our "dull" manager, if he can get us promoted playing like he got Donny and Bournemouth playing and bring a bit of stability and positivity back to our club who's going to have the best shout then?

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

How you can think 'being Dull' as a manager,has the potential to reflect badly on the Club is beyond me.

Anyone who know's football, including those in the media, know SoD is an intelligent manager regardless of how dour some people may perceive his personality. They will still talk to him, if there is something noteworthy happening in a game or at the Club.

Yes, he'll probably never end up on 'Talk Sport' ( but who care's... such programmes are the equivalent of the Daily Sport )

You may perceive his personality as 'Dour'... but many don't, and hang on his every word.

I disagree mate, SOD's got a very good reputation in football which I think actually reflects very well on the club. Who cares if other fans may take the piss about our "dull" manager, if he can get us promoted playing like he got Donny and Bournemouth playing and bring a bit of stability and positivity back to our club who's going to have the best shout then?

I agree with you Sir and also don't give a monkies what other fans think. I just think if SOD had a bit more charisma he and the club could do even better!

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

How you can think 'being Dull' as a manager,has the potential to reflect badly on the Club is beyond me.

Anyone who know's football, including those in the media, know SoD is an intelligent manager regardless of how dour some people may perceive his personality. They will still talk to him, if there is something noteworthy happening in a game or at the Club.

Yes, he'll probably never end up on 'Talk Sport' ( but who care's... such programmes are the equivalent of the Daily Sport )

You may perceive his personality as 'Dour'... but many don't, and hang on his every word.

Yeah agree to disagree, we are going round in circles Spud.

Well said that man........its the content that counts NOT the delivery style...if you listened to what was being SAID you would not be bored by SOD

That's what I'm hoping the voters will think about Ed M in 2015

Archived