IGNORED

Any Successful Boring Managers?

BCFC Jimmer

I have to say that SOD is probably the most boring manager in football and seems to have the charisma of a brick. I can't even get through an interview of his without turning it off or falling asleep. Naturally, I couldn't care less if he gets results and I'm sure he's a very intelligent chap.

But I do wonder if his lack of personality affects the profile of the club . Media organisations are not exactly going to be scrambling over each other to get a word with him and in turn this will mean less exposure. Gary Johnson was a fine example of drumming up attention from the media.

It also got me thinking if there were any other really boring managers that have been successful? I can't really think of any.

I have to say that SOD is probably the most boring manager in football and seems to have the charisma of a brick. I can't even get through an interview of his without turning it off or falling asleep. Naturally, I couldn't care less if he gets results and I'm sure he's a very intelligent chap.

But I do wonder if his lack of personality affects the profile of the club . Media organisations are not exactly going to be scrambling over each other to get a word with him and in turn this will mean less exposure. Gary Johnson was a fine example of drumming up attention from the media.

It also got me thinking if there were any other really boring managers that have been successful? I can't really think of any.

Dalglish, Ferguson, Moyes Martin Jol, Wenger.

If you continue to "turn it off or fall asleep" you will never get through his interviews. Try not turning it off and stay awake, you may then get through one of his interviews.

If you continue to "turn it off or fall asleep" you will never get through his interviews. Try not turning it off and stay awake, you may then get through one of his interviews.

What the?

Dalglish, Ferguson, Moyes Martin Jol, Wenger.

Wouldn't class them as boring. Definately not on the same scale as SOD anyway!

So it ain't boring because you don't understand what is being explained!

Mmmm.

What is this no personality rubbish? He has a personality, maybe A dour one but a personality.

What goes for personality now? Getting his wang out and rubbing it on the camera? Talking bollox and making yourself look an arse like holloway? Twitching away while undermining other managers on tv while trying to look like a cheeky chappy?

Give me SOD any day. Says it pretty much as it is, not sugar coated. And from what I can see the truth, nothing hidden behind spin.

If you prefer a pop culture cliché freak, well each to their own.

Managers who are successful tend to become more entertaining as they can become a tad more arrogant, cocky or talkative given they have success to back it up.

I don't remember Mourinho at Porto being very entertaining (apart from maybe the celebration at Old trafford) but when he had success he suddenly played on it.

What is this no personality rubbish? He has a personality, maybe A dour one but a personality.

What goes for personality now? Getting his wang out and rubbing it on the camera? Talking bollox and making yourself look an arse like holloway? Twitching away while undermining other managers on tv while trying to look like a cheeky chappy?

Give me SOD any day. Says it pretty much as it is, not sugar coated. And from what I can see the truth, nothing hidden behind spin.

I couldn't agree more... I'm seriously losing the will to live with some of the comments recently on this forum.

We're lucky to have SoD.

He's the first manager we've had that actually talks about what he is trying to achieve... instead of churning out media throw away quotes, like many of them.

Perhaps if he stuck a red nose on his face and wore some oversize shoes, some of the clowns on here would be happy.

Would much rather have an intelligent person to listen too, than a manager who sounds like he's trying to flog you a second hand car.

Precisely so. I just think SOD is a bit uncomfortable in front of the mic and dislikes the 'media' part of his job. At the same time, he's a switched on guy and he knows that it's part and parcel of the game. I'm sure he'd say it's something to be endured rather than be enjoyed.

I gather he's a completely different man when the journos have gone home.

Agree.

It's just ridiculous. What has personality even got to do with it and why on earth is it an issue?

I think SOD is refreshing. As you say doesn't sugar coat anything like certain managers before him have and he tells it as he see's it. I don't quite understand what people are expecting him to do or say!?

I personally find SO'D the most interesting manager.

Until I started listening to him properly I found his voice boring, but what he says is the most interesting.

Johnson is the least "boring" and does make me laugh however.

You really have to turn the volume up when SO'D is speaking, but it's worth the effort. Of course, our local public broadcaster should sort that out but this IS Bristol.

Carlo Ancelotti (boring and unintelligible), Brian McDermott (the exact same facial expression and tone of voice in all of his interviews)

This post is boring.

It's exactly the same as this one!

Carlo Ancelotti (boring and unintelligible), Brian McDermott (the exact same facial expression and tone of voice in all of his interviews)

:sleeping:

He talks football and talks a lot of sense as well. Would people rather him talk about what him and his misses got up to the night before?

I've been impressed with most his interviews. When the likes of tinman, GJ and Millen were managers I often thought they came across as thick and didn't really know what they were on about.

Archived