IGNORED

Stadium Mk - Thoughts

SecretSam

Sacrilege, I know, but I quite liked the MK stadium. Good location, good seats, nice view, good access and concourse. Acoustics OK but nothing special. Not a big fan of "bowls" but as these things go, it wasn't bad. We could do worse than copy some of the good bits should AV happen.

Thoughts?

Can see that Stadium carpark being a nightmare to get out of when there's big crowds - as it happens yesterdays traffic flow was very organised.

As I've said elsewhere, the seats were amazing - but, do we really want to go to a football stadium to sit down and be comfortable when really we probably want everyone out their seats jumping around.

One other thing I noticed was the main entrance for emergency vehicles. With a lot of new builds these days, these entrances are usually placed at both ends of the stadium and break up the seating, but with Stadium MK, they only had one of these entrances to minimise wastage.

Its bigger than Swanseas ground by a couple of thousand (small ground, Swansea). Both have the room to grow capacity up to 32k (not that MK will ever need it).

I think its one of the better new stadiums with that bowl being the blueprint for the lower bowl in AV.

Bizarrely mk actually has permission to be increased to 45,000 with an extra tier! That's ambition for you.

Bizarrely mk actually has permission to be increased to 45,000 with an extra tier! That's ambition for you.

True - but it does not hurt to have it just in case - the potential for expanding after all costs them nothing, as opposed to the costs of having no contingency and (no matter how unlikely) needing 30-40k seats at some point.

Cynic, I thought Swanseas was bigger. Fans at the other end look closer. Swanseas ground is still a better ground, better acoustics and protection when it pisses down.didnt realise it was bigger at all.

As to the exiting after big games, we live localish and know shortcuts, and it will be a bitch to get out of. I expected 11,000 gate there and was expecting it to be hellish.

as for the future capacity, it was built into the England World cup 2018 bid. Ashton Vale would have been up against Stadium MK for th final ground in use.

One thing to remember bout Stadium MK is that Pete Winkelman is involved in the music industry and the ability to put live music events on was part of his thinking for it...

Cynic, I thought Swanseas was bigger. Fans at the other end look closer. Swanseas ground is still a better ground, better acoustics and protection when it pisses down.didnt realise it was bigger at all.

As to the exiting after big games, we live localish and know shortcuts, and it will be a bitch to get out of. I expected 11,000 gate there and was expecting it to be hellish.

as for the future capacity, it was built into the England World cup 2018 bid. Ashton Vale would have been up against Stadium MK for th final ground in use.

One thing to remember bout Stadium MK is that Pete Winkelman is involved in the music industry and the ability to put live music events on was part of his thinking for it...

And yet, they hardly have any big live music events there at all!

And yet, they hardly have any big live music events there at all!

I think that has summat to do with the MK Bowl still holding some...was told some years back that Stadium MK would take over as the Bowl would be redeveloped into housing..economic downturn perhaps? It would be ok for live music, although personally I prefer outdoor venues like the Bowl, Donington Park, Reading etc...but hey..

Sacrilege, I know, but I quite liked the MK stadium. Good location, good seats, nice view, good access and concourse. Acoustics OK but nothing special. Not a big fan of "bowls" but as these things go, it wasn't bad. We could do worse than copy some of the good bits should AV happen.

Thoughts?

Stadium looks OK but as far as match day experience goes it was terrible. Drinking in a restaurant in an industrial estate near the ground, no atmosphere, poor stewarding (they wouldnt let me and my friends sit together even though there were hundreds of empty seats).

Apart from the football the whole thing felt like going to the cinema with your girlfriend. Not good.

Apart from the location which is obviously terrible, but then again where in Milton Keynes could you have a good location?, it is a lot better than many of the other new grounds.

It isn't the same identikit ground that so many teams have that seem to have all been designed by the same computer programme and it does have some unique features that set it apart. Once it is finished if you could magically find some people to fill it, it could be an excellent football stadium. It has the feeling of something that built to host a few games in a major tournament, but is now nothing more than a white elephant that's full facilities will never ever be needed.

As someone who prefers going to a football ground rather than a 'stadium' though it isn't something I would want to watch City play in every other week.

I thought it was quality. Everything you would want in a new stadium. It would be a dream for us to have something similar as we would actually get some fans in!

I dread to think what the atmosphere is like when away teams don't take a large following. Fortunately yesterday the atmosphere in the away end was, as always first class. At times it did feel like an exhibition match but that doesn't take away how good the stadium is. One of my favourite grounds, just a shame franchise FC play there as its wasted on them.

This stadium architect I the same as ours for the new/developed stadium.

Also hugely responsible for:

The Emirates

Stade de Luz (Portugal)

Wembley

All better than the average 'bowl'.

And I also believe he is Bristolian. So basically, we are in good hands if/when our stadium malarkey finally pushes onto carrying out the building work.

Glad you guys like it, the uwe is pretty much the same design except all on one tier. Good feedback from you ref acoustics, seating and the concourse.

Only 3 weeks to go and the diggers should be moving in.

Ha! MK stadium looks good because it is 2 tiered.

I said to my friends at the game yesterday that I imagined that rovers new ground would be like Mk's but with just the one tier and then the roof and how rubbish that would be!

Nothing like it then.

In fact, its totally different.

Look at the pictures of the 2 grounds. Same structure, roof, concourse. Outside and Inside pretty much match. If you remove the unused 2nd tier of stadium mk and place the roof back on then you have the uwe stadium.

So like I said, thanks for the feedback as its very encouraging. Especially the bits about great acoustics.

So by your logic Trigger, my house is exactly the same as the bungalow down the road (if you took the roof off my house, demolished the top two floors and put the roof back on) ?

How's that old brush of yours ? Still going strong ?

Definatley having a trigger moment now as I was convinced that pretty much the same and exactly the same are two different adjectives.

I think its one of the better new stadiums with that bowl being the blueprint for the lower bowl in AV.

Must be using the same logic as you as I was pretty sure that av wasn't a bowl according to your lot. Seems strange how the lower tier can be a blue print for a stadium you will never build but look nothing like uwe, which starts being built on 3 weeks and is a bowl. Like I said, I'm confused!!

Obviously.

Great reply mate!

To help you visualise here's a couple of pics from the same angle of both grounds. As I said PRETTY MUCH the same!

http://www.mkcommerce.co.uk/56m-plan-announced-to-increase-stadium-mk-capacity

http://m.thisisbristol.co.uk/story.html?aid=15455255

The pic of stadium mk is before seats went in the 2nd tier, bearing in mind uwe can have a 2nd tier built in the future, it's easy to see the resemblance.

Look Trigger, if I could be arsed I would put up a number of boring and cheap identikit single tier stadium images as an illustration of what you can expect.

You are not getting a Stadium MK by any stretch of the imagination - its one of the better new stadiums, not an identikit bowl.

It's ok mate, I know it's hard for you after admiting that stadium mk is one of the best new grounds you have been to, and then finding out its what the uwe is modelled on, must make you feel dirty!!

Still at least you have the consolation of knowing that the lower tier of AV uses the " blueprint" of stadium mk so you to will have a great new stadium that isn't in any way like a bowl.

Edit,

Just read AV is for the wrong type of Pooh. At least the dogs will be happy!!

Its twice what that lot are getting - literally.

Its also got a quality finish and facilities.

Their new dump is akin to Doncaster - almost identical in fact.

Quality finish and facilities is nothing without a decent crowd, soul and atmosphere. Even then the complete dullness of it all is impossible to claw back.

Look at the pictures of the 2 grounds. Same structure, roof, concourse. Outside and Inside pretty much match. If you remove the unused 2nd tier of stadium mk and place the roof back on then you have the uwe stadium.

So like I said, thanks for the feedback as its very encouraging. Especially the bits about great acoustics.

So nothing unique about the ground then. Another identikit ground like all the other soulless bowls. And you're happy with that ?

The North Stand at Eastville was never finished because the money ran out and I said to the Chairman at the time "why don't you pay for it yourself sir".

"Oh there's no need for that Bert" he said, Rovers fans will put up with any old cr*p they don't expect home comforts. Cheap wooden seats bolted on to blocks of concrete, a mouldy pork pie with watered down George's bitter at half time and they'll be quite content. I knew then our glory days were over and it would be an uphill struggle for Fred and myself.

Harry Dolman used to say there is more to running a football club than putting a roof over their heads and sending out 11 players on a Saturday. I couldn't see it at the time but of course he was quite right and we had been lucky in the fifties to have a band of people at the club who wanted the best and were prepared to work hard to achieve it. Once the new men came on the scene it was a case of "let them eat cake" and knowing our lot it was a stale one bought on the cheap from Mountstevens Bakery.

Archived