IGNORED

Best Thing About Last Nights Performance....

spudski

.... For me.... was Elliot Parish's performance.

And i'm really glad SoD has mentioned it in his post match interview.

I really do hope he plays him again Saturday.

He commanded his area well, and was constantly organising and talking to the defence in front of him. I believe this is what we have been missing. Our defence looked a lot more assured last night and I believe Parish had a lot to do with that.

His Distribution was good too... actually looking to find a player. He caught well and was agile.

No offence to Fielding... but he gives me the jitters. I understand SoD likes Fieldings Distribution... however Fielding for me, is not as Commanding as Parish and tends to Flap instead of being composed. I'm not a fan of his constant punching of the ball either.

Anyone else feel the same way?

... For me.... was Elliot Parish's performance.

He commanded his area well, and was constantly organising and talking to the defence in front of him. I believe this is what we have been missing. Our defence looked a lot more assured last night and I believe Parish had a lot to do with that.

His Distribution was good too... actually looking to find a player. He caught well and was agile.

No offence to Fielding... but he gives me the jitters. I understand SoD likes Fieldings Distribution... however Fielding for me, is not as Commanding as Parish and tends to Flap instead of being composed. I'm not a fan of his constant punching of the ball either.

I didn't realise that Jane Austen was a City fan - I'm impressed ;)

The main thing is that Parish is giving Fielding competition for the starting place. Parish looked decent last night, dealt with a few suspect backpasses from Williams with minimum of fuss.

However Palace didn't really test him with any crosses/shots (nothing he could have done about the wonderstrike at the end) so can't really judge from the one game whether he is better than Fielding.

I'd persevere with Fielding for now, but like those above mention, another solid performance against the Rovers and he should be looking at a few starts in the league.

This palace side were the worst we will probably play all season, with Parish having nothing to do.

Would be interesting to see how he would do against aides who put pressure on our defence.

Personally I would stick with fielding, only because I think he saved our arse against MK with that quality save.

... For me.... was Elliot Parish's performance.

Sorry Spudski but on iPhone i can't read the font ,classy though it is .Maybe it's just me ol' mince pies that are n't up to it any more !

Sorry Spudski but on iPhone i can't read the font ,classy though it is .Maybe it's just me ol' mince pies that are n't up to it any more !

Apologies mate... just tried to edit the font size for you, but it won't do it i'm afraid.

As for calling for Fieldings head as mentioned by Corleone... this has nothing to do with the Bradford game.

It's based on all his performances. I prefer what I see in Parish over Fielding.

A GK is part of the Defence and can really help organise the defenders by being vocal and composed.

Fielding seems to be one of those 'Eccentric' type keepers, who doesn't give off an air of confidence or composure.

It's not just about making 'Saves'... but the whole package.

Fielding is a good keeper... but he does flap and panic... that is not what our fragile defence needs.

Last night you could tell our defenders had confidence in what Parish was doing.

I felt the same about David James... a good keeper on his day... but you could tell the defenders were nervous around him.

Right now we don't need Eccentricity or a flapper... but someone who is calm and commanding and can go about his way almost unnoticed. It breeds confidence... which is something we desperately need at the back.

Apologies mate... just tried to edit the font size for you, but it won't do it i'm afraid.

As for calling for Fieldings head as mentioned by Corleone... this has nothing to do with the Bradford game.

It's based on all his performances. I prefer what I see in Parish over Fielding.

A GK is part of the Defence and can really help organise the defenders by being vocal and composed.

Fielding seems to be one of those 'Eccentric' type keepers, who doesn't give off an air of confidence or composure.

It's not just about making 'Saves'... but the whole package.

Fielding is a good keeper... but he does flap and panic... that is not what our fragile defence needs.

Last night you could tell our defenders had confidence in what Parish was doing.

I felt the same about David James... a good keeper on his day... but you could tell the defenders were nervous around him.

Right now we don't need Eccentricity or a flapper... but someone who is calm and commanding and can go about his way almost unnoticed. It breeds confidence... which is something we desperately need at the back.

Parish had nothing to do though :s.

This palace side were the worst we will probably play all season, with Parish having nothing to do.

Would be interesting to see how he would do against aides who put pressure on our defence.

Personally I would stick with fielding, only because I think he saved our arse against MK with that quality save.

Parrish made one good save - a bobbling ball swinging in through a sea of legs - and as for the goal, he had no chance.

Agree with Spudski, that he commanded his area better than Fielding. I could hear his shouts in Row O of the Dolman!

Wouldn't be a bad thing to rotate 'em. I hate this 'he's an automatic pick' mentality with any position.

As for Palace putting out their 'B' side. We played a number of players who have featured and will feature in the PL and others who were in a Championship promotion side. They were made to look very ordinary, but if we play like that in the league, so will most L1 sides.

No offence mate... but GK'ing isn't just about making Saves.... He did plenty last night to prove he's a quality Keeper.[/quote

See I don't get this....Palarse had a completely reserve midfield, an almost identical one that lost to Millwall u 21s last week....their forward line was starved of support leading our defence to have a very easy night.

Palarse also had absolutely no width, something that played into the hands of Cunningham and Maloney.

Tbf to fielding, he is playing against sides who do have width, causing problems to our wing backs due to the lack of support they receive, constantly putting FF under pressure from crosses etc....not sure how u can compare that to yesterday.

For me FF has been decent fos us except Bradford, with some stunning scars against wolves and MK, and I don't think he should be dropped on the basis that parish lead his defence well against a side who had a reserve midfield out.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that parish played well....but to say he was the best thing about yesterday is rubbish tbh.....and let's see how he goes against rovers before we put him into the league games.....as he hasn't been a number 1 anywhere so there must be reason for that....

For me fielding starts until he is a liability.

No offence mate... but GK'ing isn't just about making Saves.... He did plenty last night to prove he's a quality Keeper.

Although he had few shot's/crosses to deal with you are right, he looked composed but I wonder how composed he'd be after a mistake/soft goal

Both are competent goalkeepers and, in this day and age (post 93) there is alot more to being a professional goalkeeper than being a good shot stopper - I joke with a mate about minolet being a shot stopper worth £'x'm. To make it pro, you should be a good shot stopper.

I was impressed with his distribution and also the definite way he passed the ball out when he didn't want to go long. Could well be a race on between these two!

One mistake against Bradford and people seem to be calling for Fieldings head (as they did Heaton when he conceeded goals).

Think he has been decent for us....not his fault that the defence in front of him is dogshit.

That's the problem for keepers - the consequences of their mistakes are usually more severe than outfield players.

If Fielding didn't make the rush to the edge of the box, it is probable that Bradford would not have got back into the game, we would have come away with 3 points, our tails would be up, we would remain unbeaten this season and we wouldn't have had to suffer Ralph Milnes Left Foot's ongoing catalogue of emails about SOD's failing plan.

So yes, Fielding has a lot to answer for and I can quite understand people calling for his head!!.

That's the problem for keepers - the consequences of their mistakes are usually more severe than outfield players.

If Fielding didn't make the rush to the edge of the box, it is probable that Bradford would not have got back into the game, we would have come away with 3 points, our tails would be up, we would remain unbeaten this season and we wouldn't have had to suffer Ralph Milnes Left Foot's ongoing catalogue of emails about SOD's failing plan.

So yes, Fielding has a lot to answer for and I can quite understand people calling for his head!!.

On that basis Basso should never have last as long as he did!

What bollocks.

You can't really judge after 1 game where he's had nothing to do, but, Parish looked alot more confident and solid than fielding. I would play Feilding Saturday and Parish Wednesday. Hopefully a bit of good competition will help Feilding.

Parish was fine and he certainly looked comfortable throughout the game. However he did not have much to do and we should not get too ahead of ourselves, the performance of our 'keeper certainly wasn't the highlight of the evening!

Fielding has looked shaky at times and needs to work on his positioning in terms of coming off of his line but he has looked a good shot stopper thus far. In regards to who will play at Gillingham, I would imagine Fielding will be back in but if SO'D goes for Parish there will be no reason for concern based on last night's showing.

Mate... it's not about what the opposition did last night or FF's mistake against Bradford.

Parish showed all the other qualities that have been missing from FF's game.

Organising the defence, Confidence, composed, vocal, assured, assertive, good safe hands, agile, intelligent and accurate distribution.

Fielding is definitely 'a shot stopper' but imho, he lacks the other qualities that Parish showed last night.

All those qualities make the defence and rest of the team feel confident.

When Palace scored, it was because our midfield dropped too deep pushing our defence back even further.

You could see Palace were going to score because of this.

City have been guilty of doing this toward the end of games... tbh... a lot of our midfield looked knackered in the last 15/10 mins... It's a bit of a worry and a fault of ours.

However... Parish was constantly shouting for our midfield and defence to defend further up and not to sit back and and let them come at us. As too was SoD... I should imagine SoD gave them a right bollocking for this after the game.

It does bother me that the biggest culprit of coming too deep and dragging players with him, is Pack. Quality player, but has a habit of coming too deep and creating room for himself. Just an observation....

This is not about the Bradford mistake.

On that basis Basso should never have last as long as he did!

What bollocks.

Comments made with tongue very much in cheek and to introduce a note of humour re RMLF's continued sceptical posts.

On a serious level, at the moment one of the key issues we seem to have is the stability and confidence in and among our defensive unit. Judging by the comments on here, in the early games we seemed to have a chicken and egg situation with our back 4 and the keeper. Was Fielding nervous as a result of lack of confidence in the defenders in front of him, or was the back 4 less than confident in the keeper, or perhaps a bit of both?

Physiologically, it might just be that Parrish instils more confidence among the defence than does Fielding, and if this makes our defensive unit stronger then he could be the best choice.

The worst thing about last night is that Bryan and Williams have hamstring strains and are likely to miss saturdays game, looks like Liam will get another reprieve OMG.

Are you sure? In his post-match comments, O'Driscoll put both substitutions down to 'fatigue', young players having top play two intense games in four days.

Archived