IGNORED

Fontaine To Yeovil

Super

Towards the end of last season we started a thread asking for Fonts not to be picked - not because we hated him, or wanted to abuse him, but the thread was simply stated that continuing playing a player who is in bad form, who has been for a while, who continues to make individual errors and looks to have no confidence is not doing the club / team or player any good, and if it continues the manager will in all likelyhood see fans (who were already feeling uneasy / unhappy with him) start to turn against him - we even said questioned what the club will do when fans start booing him, which they will if he gets continually picked -

Well, he kept getting picked, kept making mistakes, and fans turned more and more against him - and finally we get him being booed- I don't see this as a fault of the fans, but the managers simply not able to read what is happening in regards to one of their players.

I find the while Fonts situation sad. Over the last 6-7 years he's been one of my favourite players but there is no denying he has seriously lost form for the last year or so (could it all really be down to the Saints move falling through?). Where did it all go wrong. Sometimes in football it's easy to forget these are real people and he must be all to aware of how bad it has gotten for him. I for one hope he goes and finds his confidence/form and would welcome him back in Jan with a clean slate. If he can't rediscover form then time to call it a day at city.

At last, a decent, level-headed post that says it as it is. I too thank him and wish him well in his future career wherever it may be.

I think Fonts will do well at Yeovil. Who was the manager under whom Fonts showed his best form? GJ, and that is why, including a fresh start away from BS3, I believe Fonts will have a chance to put this nightmare behind him. Football is littered with "crap" players leaving club number one and joining club number two and going on to forge a successful career and becoming a fan's favourite.

Personally I never actually really rated Fonts that much even way back, he was only very adequate, and then got worse, particularly after GJ went. But nevertheless, I took no enjoyment seeing him slide, from the effect it had on the team, and the effect it would have had on his personal life.

Best of luck Fonts.

Once again the bully-boy contingent amongst BCFC fans show their lack of class - with yet more abuse - even after the player they wanted out has gone.

Makes you wonder who these posters are.

Perfection personified with no human frailties? Or more than likely, arrogant people whose wives, partners and girlfriends must be extremely forgiving.

Be aware - the same posters that ousted Liam Fontaine will be lining up their next victims...

In fact - they have already lined up Neil Kilkenny as their new bullying target (oh the irony that the bullies all gang together to attack Kilkenny yet do not allow him the grace of defending a friend and colleague - so much for having class).

Besides Kilkenny, there have been threads already attacking the following players;

Baldock

JET

Maloney

Cunningham

Wagstaff

Fielding

to name a few I can recall...

Having a go at your teams players does not make you a 'true' fan.

In fact, it makes you an embarrassment that BCFC can do without... ...hey - with that sentiment I can join your gang...

These posters must be perfection personified or have very forgiving wives, partners and girlfriends.

Be aware - the same posters that ousted Liam Fontaine will be lining up their next victims...

Haha. No-one on here is responsible for ousting Fontaine. The man who has ultimately 'ousted' him is SOD due to his appalling form over the past 12 months +. The fact is Fonts was single handedly responsible for, at a conservative estimate 12+ goals last season and has already clocked up a few this season.

IMO an injury sustained a few years back and then been given the captaincy by McInnes, when it was obvious to everyone he is not captain material, has contributed to a huge loss of confidence.

SOD was absolutely spot on with his reason for letting Fontaine go: 'his position had become untenable'.

Once again the bully-boy contingent amongst BCFC fans show their lack of class - with yet more abuse - even after the player they wanted out has gone.

Perfection personified with no human frailties? Or more than likely, arrogant people whose wives, partners and girlfriends must be extremely forgiving.

In fact - they have already lined up Neil Kilkenny as their new bullying target (oh the irony that the bullies all gang together to attack Kilkenny yet do not allow him the grace of defending a friend and colleague - so much for having class).

Besides Kilkenny, there have been threads already attacking the following players;

Baldock

JET

Maloney

Cunningham

Wagstaff

Fielding

In fact, it makes you an embarrassment that BCFC can do without... ...hey - with that sentiment I can join your gang...

These posters must be perfection personified or have very forgiving wives, partners and girlfriends.

It's hard to respond to a post like this without making a comment which would be taken as an example of bullying. To take it to the flip side are you 'bullying' those who concluded Liam Fontaine was a liability [tongue in cheek comment!].

Fontaine did not overnight become a target. Recollecting when his move to Soton was lined up I remember only a couple wishing it to go through. Most, myself included, breathed a heavy sigh of relief when it collapsed. I also remember him getting a pretty rousing reception when he next featured for us.

Since then Fontaine has been a liability, nothing more nothing less. Gradually, some quicker than others, a not insignificant section of the fan base began to grow increasingly frustrated at his poor performances. At the same time he was coming out with inane soundbites in the press which read generally standoffish.

The worse part for me was that Fontaine seemingly played with a lack of effort and a lack of commitment. Never the quickest, never the most active I grant you, but he never seemed to bust a gut to make amends for his numerous and continued errors. He also continued to make the same type of errors and did not learn from his mistakes. If I showed in my job the continued incompetence and the same errors I would have my P45 within weeks. Instead Fontaine is untouchable and continues in the lifestyle that his performances, and development, did not deserve. Add in socio-economic conditions as they are, this will not sit well with many.

There have been isolated incidents of ill-treatment. I have not seen anyone with an appropriate IQ suggest that what happened at the coffee shop was in anyway justifiable. There were also the jeers when he came on last week but that is the first time there have been jeers that audible in the past. Even in the final game of the last season, with the exception of the 'mad alan'-type that most seem to sit near, his name was cheered when read out. There were gasps when he got on the ball, but given the points and goals he cost us that was perfectly reasonable. Just as Fontaine's confidence was shot fan's confidence in him was shot.

I absolutely do not believe Fontaine was bullied by fans. This forum is a tiny snapshot of those that turn up to Ashton Gate. In reality I think Bristol City fans are some of the most tolerant fans out there. At very many other clubs Millen would have been shown the door a long time before he did. At very many other clubs DMc would have left a long time before he did. But under their leadership there was very little calls in the crowd for them to go. Yes there were some, but for the most part Ashton Gate was a placid quiet place.

In terms of Fontaine the reason there was an outcry when he was jeered on to the pitch last week is because that was the first time that has roundly happened to him (yes it has happened before in isolated incidents). Given his dire performances, his mistakes of the same nature being continued to be made, his continued selection and his demeanor genuinely I think he had a very good innings to last that long. Doesn't make it right, but at a significant majority of the 92 other professional clubs I think he would have endured a lot worse a lot sooner.

The other point I would make is that everything must be taken relatively. If you want to play professional football, like it or not, you have to develop broad shoulders. You will kop stick from teamates and your manager at times, you will certainly kop stick from opposition players and fans, and if your performances are not up-to-scratch for a prolonged period, rightly or wrongly, you will kop stick from those that contribute to your very privileged lifestyle. That is not isolated to Bristol City and does not make our club an embarrassment. If someone has paid significant money to attend, or sold certain promises and committed to a season ticket with no get-out, and witnesses what they to be a lack of effort, application or carelessness then my opinion is boo and boo away - even if it is not a response I partake in.

As I see it there was an isolated incident widely condemned, a few isolated jeers, plenty of support, and an unsavoury welcome in his final appearance. Systematic bullying I think not.

Totally mismanaged by DMC. I think that s.o.d hoped as did I that the summer break and a fresh start in a lower division and a rebuilt team would rejuvenate him. But it obviously wasn't going to work. he looked shot away totally lacking in confidence + relationship with the fans destroyed. I've criticised him myself. But I doubt if we'll ever see him in a city shirt again so let's put the hatred to bed and remember that for a few seasons he was very decent, so thanks for your service liam, but you leaving is for the best!

Absolutely spot on Timmy Boy.

I think people have let DMC off incredibly lightly throughout this whole saga. Completely mismanaged is an understatement.

Baldock

JET

Maloney

Cunningham

Wagstaff

Fielding

No, x 1000 over a sustained period many people said: please drop Fontaine, he is a liability. X 1000 this didn't happen. Finally, the shit really hit the fan and we go mental. According to you we are now bullies, perfect or have very forgiving wives and girlfriends.

The whole episode is actually mirrored on here with people reasoning with you. You will fail to come to an amicable agreement again and again and again, we will go mental and you will call us bullies.

I don't know why I'm replying to you as I'm only reinforcing the pattern.

Your turn, cast aspersions over me and make judgemens about by girlfriend based upon this post, call me a bully, you know the routine...

Differences of opinion but respect your thoughtful reply 29AR. Maybe the answer to the players lack of confidence is constructive evaluation. It's certain that all players engage with social media now - if only to view - so perhaps we need posts that are positive rather than negative.

I respect your response too WTFiGO!?! - though I do think we need our fans to change their approach to players suffering bad form.

It can't be helpful with pages of bile aimed at the player. We are in a social media age and this negativity will have an effect on players.

I challenge any poster to ignore such hateful postings on social media connected to their job / place of work.

We are now in the digital - instant information - age and as supporters and fans we all have a responsibility to understand this.

The days of the terrace / boozer whinge are in the past as soon as you engage in social media.

For those BCFC supporters / fans / followers who do not understand these changes and our responsibilities - then I fear for our present squad - as some negative threads already point to...

I don't want to quote the whole post again, but 29AR you make some excellent points.

I've been sat here scratching my head trying to work out when Fontaine was getting this awful abuse, from what I read from other posts it gives the impression it was match after match.

I've been to every home game for a fair few seasons and witnessed his demise. I haven't been away for a while so can't comment on that. The only home game I've missed was the Palace game last week, this appears when patience of some ran out. From the radio commentary he was brought on and we were worse for it. The commentators were saying ' another misplaced ball from Fontaine' etc.

I too agree he hasn't been played right here, by more than one manager. But I got to stress that the abuse (during the games) has been very, very little. He has got away very lightly from a very patient fanbase.

I don't agree with abuse, but I guess it's the flip side to being hero worshiped. Some players are all to ready to celebrate during the good times, have fans clamour for a photo or a few words. But it's during the bad times you really see a players character. Fontaine unfortunately was weak. His career can only move on at another club right now, which is best or all.

Archived