IGNORED

'deal Struck' Over Ashton Vale

SJC

SL is an astute business man. I mentioned AV had the potential to be a Trojan horse in the very early days. Don't know the area but I suspect the value of the housing will pay off all his AV costs plus the Club's debt, plus pay for all/a substantial part of the new stadium.

Affordable housing targets are locally set, probably in your patch around 25%.

Pity in a way. Hope there's enough money to buy up some land surrounding the AG stadium to expand our waistline a bit.

Taken from the EP article with the gobshite Crispin....

Mr Crispin replies: "Ashton Vale is not the only landfill site to be reclaimed. Bedminster Down has been reclaimed and is now a nice green open space.

"It's a positive thing to see them brought back into the public domain."

But what about the economic arguments in favour of a stadium which would bring jobs and investment to South Bristol?

Mr Crispin believes the case has been over-egged because he claimed most of the jobs would be "transient" and regeneration was not a good enough reason for destroying the green belt.

"Once you have got rid of the green belt, you can't get it back.

Read more: http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/WANT-STOP-STADIUM/story-13326501-detail/story.html#ixzz2e8H7JxQR
Follow us: @thisisbristol on Twitter | thisisbristol on Facebook

It's not green bet if you build houses on it Crispin.

Bloody hypocrite.

Soul destroying.

Is the point here that this reads like a deal that has so far by passed the NIMBYs.

Who says they will agree to this at all? If they feel they can win the case for it all to be a village green, why would they feel any more pleased with a load of housing, than with a stadium? They either have a case for a village green or they do not.

Council says - we are going to agree to houses, they say - not quite so fast - we have as strong a case to stop housing as a stadium?

Mr Crispin replies: "Ashton Vale is not the only landfill site to be reclaimed. Bedminster Down has been reclaimed and is now a nice green open space.

"It's a positive thing to see them brought back into the public domain."

Actually, at any level this reply makes no coherent sense at all. Ashton Vale is now not a village green, it is a landfill site. It needs to be brought back in to the public domain?!!? I thought the whole thrust of his case was that it was bloody well in the public domain as a green!

I really do despair as to how much lawyers can make out of mainly my taxes defending this kind of absolute drivel.

I would make the 3rd condition that housing is agreed. Otherwise we could go our merry way, give up, then when the housing application goes in, they appeal again, and the whole cycle starts again.

I just despair, sometimes.

Are there any new stadiums that are really any good (in the UK at least)? The best atmospheres seem (to me at least) to still be at the older grounds (Carrow Road, Goodison, White Hart Lane etc). Appreciate we'll never be Man U at a 26/27k Gate, but we were never going to be. Lots of teams do perfectly well in the Premier League with capacities below 30k (i.e. not necessary financially to have a jumbo stadium) and (I think) they tend to have far better atmospheres.

Knock down the flats, move them to the new houses and the AG footprint looks quite interesting.

Now that is smart thinking! I am not sure about the expected life of high rise flats - but in many parts of the country they are pulling them down and re-housing the people in more pleasant low-rise developments. The cost may be reasonable if the new houses were owned by SL and his family as an investment. They could still be managed by the council and it could be part of a huge new social housing development.

As much as I love Ashton Gate staying here will only hold this club back. If twenty years from now we're in the premiership and maxing out our 30,000 capacity "new" Ashton Gate week in week out then we'd be losing out on a lot of income week in week out. Ashton Gate is limited in it's capacity sizing and potential so in terms of the here and now it'll be fine but in the future if we need to expand we're screwed.

As much as I love Ashton Gate staying here will only hold this club back. If twenty years from now we're in the Premier League and maxing out our 30,000 capacity "new" Ashton Gate week in week out then we'd be losing out on a lot of income week in week out. Ashton Gate is limited in it's capacity sizing and potential so in terms of the here and now it'll be fine but in the future if we need to expand we're screwed.

I totally agree. This will be a short sighted solution and it will be impossible to put right in years to come because there are no other viable sites in the area.

As much as I love Ashton Gate staying here will only hold this club back. If twenty years from now we're in the Premier League and maxing out our 30,000 capacity "new" Ashton Gate week in week out then we'd be losing out on a lot of income week in week out. Ashton Gate is limited in it's capacity sizing and potential so in terms of the here and now it'll be fine but in the future if we need to expand we're screwed.

I agree but I would hope the club would not give up looking out for another site for us in the future

I can't see what we are gaining from this. The AG development has had previous planning permission & shouldn't have any trouble unless the council or mayor was going to intentionally drop a spanner in the works.

I always thought AG was more likely but why give up the fight on AV? It makes no sense to me & I can't believe SL is gonna let the nimbys win

I'm gutted. The plans for a redeveloped Ashton Gate look more to me like the dreaded "soulless bowl" than the more unique design for Ashton Vale. It was a chance to put Bristol on the sporting map, and in my opinion would have attracted a higher class of player than even a redeveloped Ashton Gate would manage. Not to mention the jobs that would have been created.

Yet again Bristol has shown it is determined to remain a sporting backwater.

People happy to stay at Ashton Gate?

A romantic thought but short sighted.

I'm rather pissed off with this news

Id love to stay IF we can buy up everything around the ground ie. houses at either end, the flats and Wickes.

The atmosphere around the pubs and streets prior to wednesday evening was amazing. Youd never get that at a new stadium in the middle of a field.

Staying at AG would be perfect if we could somehow get the room to expand.

Expansion is the only issue staying where we are IMO.

Forgive me for being dumb but didnt SL pay a crazy amount of money for that land? Will he see any of it back?

Yes he should, He could strike a deal where he get's a percentage per house built on the land. Which in turn he might invest in Bristol City fc & Bristol rfc.

There is one thing that confuses me. If the deal as described is struck between the landowners and the protesters, there seems to be one rather large question mark. Houses on Ashton Vale would require a new planning permission as the present permission is for a stadium.

The land is still green belt so the applicant would have to show exceptional reasons to build on it. While a 30,000 seat stadium that won't fit anywhere else, might be considered exceptional, more houses might not be. As it stands, I can see a document being signed preventing a stadium being built at Ashton Vale, but permission for houses on it still being refused.

Will the council have to buy back the land from SteveL, surely a person cannot own a village green. I guess it will be declared a village green in the future to stop the club building on there in future? As for housing, I'm not sure I'd want to live on a rubbish dump, so will that get passed. Where does this leave Sainsburys, nearer to the Mem I guess. The wickes land is a good shout, they are quite old buildings in the scheme of things, can't have much life left in them?

Archived