IGNORED

'deal Struck' Over Ashton Vale

SJC

Text below taken from the club website earlier in the year mate. 26,500 is definitely bigger than we currently have and plenty big enough for what we'd need, even if we ever got to the Prem.

"The proposals are based on a plan to replace the existing Williams and Wedlock Stands which, together with a refurbished Dolman Stand, would establish Ashton Gate as the premier sports and exhibition centre in the South West, with a capacity of approximately 26,500 for Bristol City FC and Bristol Rugby home games from 2016 onwards."

Fair enough. I suppose, as mentioned, SL could gradually buy up the surrounding properties / units to extend the footprint of the site so it's there if we ever needed bigger plus he makes a bucket load of £££ on the Vale site.

I still dont quite get it? Who has the deal been struck between? Surely it cant be the council because if they can give permission to grant houses then they must be able to grant a stadium.

If the deal is with the NIMBYS then surely any written deal/contract PROVES that their sole aim was to stop the stadium.

I still dont quite get it? Who has the deal been struck between? Surely it cant be the council because if they can give permission to grant houses then they must be able to grant a stadium.

If the deal is with the NIMBYS then surely any written deal/contract PROVES that their sole aim was to stop the stadium.

Entrapment?

Sounds like a deal between the council and the club TBH. It still leaves a sour taste because the obnoxious cockney has won!

I'm more than happy.

Ashton Gate is our home and as shown the other night is still an excellent place to watch our team. Sure, it needs the redevelopment, but (safe)standing on a new East End in a few seasons excites me. Moving to a soulless new ground that carries none of our history and could be situated anywhere in the world doesn't and never has done.

If the deal is with the NIMBYS, then I hope SL reneges on it, just like they did after wasting 3 months of his time "negotiating".

As Noel Gallagher once said, Little by Little.

That's all well and good Glyn but we have to re-develop most of the stands this time around. Especially Williams which has a hell of a lot of work to do on it, I will be very surprised if we play at the Gate whilst the work has begun.

The thing I don't understand is if we are not going to have the Village Green review go ahead then why wait a whole year. The only things I can think of are:

1) The club was playing for time and hoping for a change in the law, which hasn't happened

2) The lawyers have concluded the Nimbys will win and get the whole site so it is better to make a deal and at least get something.

Housing where the AV stadium was to be?

Lets hope it's social housing.

The NIMBY's win over the stadium but lose on the area being developed. Seems like no-one wins.

Housing where the AV stadium was to be?

Lets hope it's social housing.

The NIMBY's win over the stadium but lose on the area being developed. Seems like no-one wins.

What an absolute snob,everyone in social housing is a scum bag are they,deary me.

The thing I don't understand is if we are not going to have the Village Green review go ahead then why wait a whole year. The only things I can think of are:

1) The club was playing for time and hoping for a change in the law, which hasn't happened

2) The lawyers have concluded the Nimbys will win and get the whole site so it is better to make a deal and at least get something.

I make you right. A lot of money to gamble on the lottery of another hearing.

That's all well and good Glyn but we have to re-develop most of the stands this time around. Especially Williams which has a hell of a lot of work to do on it, I will be very surprised if we play at the Gate whilst the work has begun.

I think I remember seeing that when the club announced the dates they were looking to do each stage of the redevelopment by, they went out of their way to state that we would be playing at Ashton Gate throughout.

I'm also pretty sure that Deepdale was completely redeveloped without Preston every playing anywhere else? Just an example, it may not be relevant to our situation.

The proposals for phasing the redevelopment were pretty clear when they held the public consultation. No question of moving elsewhere, the stadium will remain open for business throughout.

If they do re-develop the Gate, where will we play? Or will it be like when they did the uncovered end, to the Ateyo? One bit at a time?

Phase 1 will see the demolition of the 1919 Wedlock (East End) stand and the construction of its modern replacement. Phase 2 will see the front-tier seating in the Dolman modified, and the modification of seating, the concourse and the roof.

Phase 3a will see the demolition of the Williams stand, the Hire-rite building and No 65 Ashton Road. At this point the pitch will be moved five meters towards the Williams stand along with the laying of a new Desso pitch.

All of the above is programmed to be completed for the start of the 2015/16 season.

Phase 3b will see the completion of the new Williams stand with the completion of all on-site works finished ready for the opening of the new stand in August 2016.

Phase 4 will see some internal works done to the Atyeo stand expected to be completed by the middle of 2016.

The architects plan is to maintain a minimum capacity of at least 15,000 throughout the redevelopment"

Nope will remain open with reduced capacity as per plans -

http://www.bristol247.com/2013/06/25/consultation-opens-to-public-for-ashton-gate-redevelopment-51821/

Text below taken from the club website earlier in the year mate. 26,500 is definitely bigger than we currently have and plenty big enough for what we'd need, even if we ever got to the Prem.

"The proposals are based on a plan to replace the existing Williams and Wedlock Stands which, together with a refurbished Dolman Stand, would establish Ashton Gate as the premier sports and exhibition centre in the South West, with a capacity of approximately 26,500 for Bristol City FC and Bristol Rugby home games from 2016 onwards."

You say that but Cardiff got lower crowds than us when they were at ninian; now they are selling out (of tickets as well of their souls) and on about expanding it again. Same can be said of Brighton, Swansea etc.

Ashton Vale was the much better option, sadly the NIMBY's have won.

Gutted.

I still remember SL saying "mark my words, that stadium WILL be built." Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything he's done, and he could be one of the most influential people in this clubs history, but come on... Ashton Vale was fantastic, and I really thought I would see that built.

The new Ashton Gate looks so much more bowl-like, is limited, and is just... not inspiring at all. I'm genuinely very, very disappointed.

Archived