IGNORED

Tonights Crowd

harvey54

I got the usual mad dash from work tonight. But I will confess its the first time I have had the thought is the dash worth it if I miss the first ten minutes queuing for a ticket. Ill see you there no doubt

No chance. A 2 hour drive for me and working till 5.

Its The Bake Off for me tonight

I thought you had massive support with a catchment of over a million?

You know very little about Bristol.

Apart from the fact we have 2 clubs - Rovers get poor crowds but there are alot of non attending Rovers' sympathisers in Bristol who would never watch City - Rugby at all levels has a traditional hold on the City with numerous amateur clubs with teams at all age groups and many Bristolian youngsters are indoctrinated towards Rugby, even forced to play Rugby over football in schools.

I don't often go into Broadmead but last time I did I was surprised how few local accents I heard. Most of the groups of younger people were talking Spanish - we've had over 14,000 Spaniards settle in Bristol in the last 5 years - and we've had huge incomings from other areas of the world - e.g. Poland, Somalia - and they and their children do much to account for Bristol's 40,000 rise in population in the last 20 years.

Many other modern day 'Bristolians' were not born in Bristol where jobs are often filled by people transferring from other parts of the country and these people, and their children, mostly continue to support the teams of their home cities.

Then there are the many born and bred Bristolians who prefer, and 'support', PL teams and these probably outnumber those who actively support City or Rovers combined.

In short, Bristol is in the main not a locally supporting football area at all with at least half the population non Bristolian, and as far as BCFC are concerned we are left with about 10,000 diehards and perhaps a further 5 - 7000 who will turn up if we're doing particularly well.

Huge catchment area in terms of numbers it may well be, but the vast majority - probably 90%+ - have no interest whatsoever in actively supporting the local football teams, and barring a sustained period in the top league, never will.

Apart from being on a smaller scale all round, I doubt if the situation in Swindon is much different.

You know very little about Bristol.

Apart from the fact we have 2 clubs - Rovers get poor crowds but there are alot of non attending Rovers' sympathisers in Bristol who would never watch City - Rugby at all levels has a traditional hold on the City with numerous amateur clubs with teams at all age groups and many Bristolian youngsters are indoctrinated towards Rugby, even forced to play Rugby over football in schools.

I don't often go into Broadmead but last time I did I was surprised how few local accents I heard. Most of the groups of younger people were talking Spanish - we've had over 14,000 Spaniards settle in Bristol in the last 5 years - and we've had huge incomings from other areas of the world - e.g. Poland, Somalia - and they and their children do much to account for Bristol's 40,000 rise in population in the last 20 years.

Many other modern day 'Bristolians' were not born in Bristol where jobs are often filled by people transferring from other parts of the country and these people, and their children, mostly continue to support the teams of their home cities.

Then there are the many born and bred Bristolians who prefer, and 'support', PL teams and these probably outnumber those who actively support City or Rovers combined.

In short, Bristol is in the main not a locally supporting football area at all with at least half the population non Bristolian, and as far as BCFC are concerned we are left with about 10,000 diehards and perhaps a further 5 - 7000 who will turn up if we're doing particularly well.

Huge catchment area in terms of numbers it may well be, but the vast majority - probably 90%+ - have no interest whatsoever in actively supporting the local football teams, and barring a sustained period in the top league, never will.

Apart from being on a smaller scale all round, I doubt if the situation in Swindon is much different.

Good post and I agree with everything that you have written and it's certainly the same in Swindon

Decent Fan who talks sense

Will we get 10k?

Will be the first significant test for the die-hards ie a mid-week game, unattractive opponents and the team on a losing run.

No offence meant, but that is a strange OP from someone who is not going to be attending the game themselves.

Also, 1 defeat in 5 is hardly "on a losing run" no matter how frustrating the absence of a first league win might be...!

Archived