IGNORED

Many Joined The 'sod Out' Bandwagon Tonight? (Poll)

BCFC_Mike

SOD Out?  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and rightly so.

My opinion is that there are plenty of people just itching for us to lose so they can come streaming out from under their keyboards.

Jeez, it was only three days ago that we put in a great performance, albeit it was a draw from a howler of a mistake. Now it's all doom and gloom.

I've said before and I'll say again; I couldn't give a flying **** what sort of performance we give if our winless run continues. As also said many times before, Football is more or less about results. If we don't get the results, we will pay for it, again.

Does anyone else think this is going to boil over unless we hear from the top well SL I mean? People will say that whats the point hes come out before and things haven't changed he said we will get stadium we wont go down blah blah blah! BUT I feel he needs to come out and speak to the fans try to calm the storm that's bruin and more importantly sort the mess that is Bristol city fc.

Does anyone else think this is going to boil over unless we hear from the top well SL I mean? People will say that whats the point hes come out before and things haven't changed he said we will get stadium we wont go down blah blah blah! BUT I feel he needs to come out and speak to the fans try to calm the storm that's bruin and more importantly sort the mess that is Bristol city fc.

It's interesting. 21% of fans saying SoD should go, 11% uncertain. No significant shift in levels of patience (because the 21% may not have been saying "SoD out" before today, but they were saying that they expected results by around this time in the season).

On the one hand, I'd suggest that SL can take heart from the fact that at least 65% of fans consistently want SoD to continue. In terms of "hearing from the top", if he came out and said "I'm backing SoD" then the 21% would start having a go at him instead.

I wonder if it's like politics. You'll find a core 21-22% on one side in terms of general principles, and a core 21-22% on the other. These people will never shift in terms of how they approach life and their assumptions on this basis. They notice when they're correct, but they don't notice when either they're wrong or they're only correct because they caused an event to happen ("I predict a riot" syndrome). In terms of shifts in perception - actual change, it's the middle 55% that everyone's aiming for. The hardcore either side will never change their mind.

The problem arrives when the 55% stop shifting, or stop swinging between the two extremes. The result of this is often extreme frustration on the part of a core 10% on whichever side is being ignored - they feel marginalised, disenfranchised. They think and decide that the whole world has gone mad. What's more, they have been so angry that it becomaes harder for them to admit that they may have been wrong. They fail to notice that the majority of people either disagree with their opinion or just don't care. And instead of recognising that this is the ebb and flow of opinion, we end up with the Tea Party, perpetual general strikes, UKIP, tesco riots etc. This is not necessarily to criticise these people. It's a natural reaction to losing a dearly-held argument with a large group of people.

I think that we see this here. The arguments have been done to death, the polls persistently show that pretty much exactly two-thirds of fans want to wait and see what happens. Yet a persistent minority keep on feeling it's correct or legitimate to boo at hesitant / disjointed performances, criticise players (in the stadium / twitter / phone-ins) for their mistakes, imperfections, failings before, during and after every match, every interview, and saying that someone who is happy to just *experience* the football and wait is a happy clapper / deluded. And after argument and argument about it on this website, from every angle, almost no-one has changed their mind over a period of three months. The reason is that we're down to the rump of either extreme of demanding / patient. You could say that we saw something close to the inverse towards the end of BT, GJ, KM, DM - when a core group of people insisted that there was nothing wrong, and continued to insist that nothing was wrong, long after the performances were clearly hopeless (and in some cases even today).

To cut a long story short, you're kind of right. I think it is at risk of boiling over between fans. But I don't think SL saying something will stop it. To my mind, any one of three things need to happen in order to prevent real, long-term anger between the fans:

1. SoD needs to start winning sufficiently that people are happy to change their minds about showing patience for poor performances (probably not going to happen considering our performances / results so far, and is actually a little circular),
  2. SoD needs to keep losing so that the the 21% can say they are proven right and public opinion shifts (although then the super-patient 21% will probably start getting really angry, so will be deferring the problem), or
  3. those who are more demanding in terms of results need to stop supporting Bristol City as they're starting to wind up other City fans by booing every game and not actually discussing potential improvement (I'm only saying this because they're currently in the minority according to polls - if it was the other way around then the over-patient 21% would need to stop supporting City and we could have a system of one manager per year who is fired unless they get the team to finish higher than the previous season, and players on tight contracts where they are rewarded for performing and shipped out when poor).

To my mind, people should just chill out, realise it's only football (even though I travel 250 miles each time I watch a match), and that the circle of life for pretty much all football teams is one of rise and fall. But while I don't think I'm wholly happy clapper, I am saying I want to give SoD until ten games into the 2014 / 2015 season, so I'm clearly quite far in that direction.

I've seen plenty of mentions of Warnock on here in recent days, but isn't it much more likely he'll end up back at Sheffield Utd?

I can't see Weir surviving much longer and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Warnock back in charge by the start of November (and Sheffield Utd then going on a run to pull away from trouble).

We'll almost certainly sack SOD the same day Warnock gets a job somewhere else, ruining the latest 'plan' before it even gets going!

You have your answer, 67% think he should be given more time. Now just give him a chance to do his job and for **** sake lets hope this is the last time we see a SOD out vote on here !

OTIB isnt the greatest view of the fan base.

Being in the pubs and at the ground it certainly seems more want him out than in

• Admin

Do u have a sense of humour. I dunno what is wrong with the fans on this site no one is allowed an opinion the little clique on here is always right and everyone else is wrong.

Not sure who you were aiming that at, but if it was me, my comment was tongue in cheek, but you were obviously looking for a reaction, as I would guess 99.99% of City fans would be vehemently against Pulis ever setting foot in South Bristol again, let alone in Ashton Gate as Manager. The majority against Hollowhead might, inexplicably, be not quite so high, but I would guess over 90%, so again, you knew you were posting to get a reaction.

By all means carry on posting controversial and even deluded posts, just expect a reaction and then deal with it by debating your point.

You sound like a Blair spin doctor; 67% in favour is about as far away from a 50:50 split as you could get given where we are.

To be fair, WRP did post that early on in the poll when the numbers were nearer 50/50.

Thanks for pointing that out PSR, it would appear havantopia hasn't quite yet grasped the fact that polls change over time.

Archived