IGNORED

Sod ,sod Off

bcfc1982

You really don't get it, do you? The point is that Dicks, Ferguson, etc. were in process of building new teams after a team had been allowed to get old and complacent. But for a fortunate cup victory, both would undoubtedly have been sacked. Would that have been an improvement?

All very well to ask for SOD's head - but can you be sure that you wouldn't be tearing up the work that he's done. That's what would have happened to those managers without their cup victories.

Some of the suggestions I've seen here are literally farcical - my favourite is Carey and Murray :facepalm:

What work has he done apart from sell our assets and bring in academy boys, I could of done that for 1/4 of whatever hes on.

Are you saying that people who support SO'D and the club have their heads in the sand? The club is ****** in so many ways because of mismanagement in years gone by not because of one sole individual in the last 9 months.

You're talking BS.

and who employed those managers and this one ? and who is still calling the shots, don't blame the sh1te on the wheels look to the engine driver over the channel.

But that hasn't actually happened to us, what has happened is that the present manager and 2 previous managers have progressively taken us backwards, with poor signings, poor tactics and atrocious results.

Remind me. How many of last season's regulars were in today's starting lineup?

This is a new team, it's SOD's team, and it's not getting the results. The same applied to AD in 73 and SAF in 89. Now, you can look at the results and sack the manager, replacing him with a shouty arm-waver who we can afford, or you can grit your teeth and hope for improved results and performances.

Those are the options. If we choose the first, though, we have no guarantee of success and we'll still be lurching from crisis to crisis. I'd go for the second, but I have no illusions that it'll be easy.

Are you saying that people who support SO'D and the club have their heads in the sand? The club is ****** in so many ways because of mismanagement in years gone by not because of one sole individual in the last 9 months.

You're talking BS.

Quite but he has hardly been a raving success either, be honest do you believe this current squad is capable of going on a sustained winning run? because it seems to me that SOD has backed himself into the same cul de sac as DMC who said we didn't have the players to play anything other than 1 up front and in SODS case he signed the majority of this current squad.

Remind me. How many of last season's regulars were in today's starting lineup?

This is a new team, it's SOD's team, and it's not getting the results. The same applied to AD in 73 and SAF in 89. Now, you can look at the results and sack the manager, replacing him with a shouty arm-waver who we can afford, or you can grit your teeth and hope for improved results and performances.

Those are the options. If we choose the first, though, we have no guarantee of success and we'll still be lurching from crisis to crisis. I'd go for the second, but I have no illusions that it'll be easy.

I have never understood this type of argument.If SOD goes look what we might get (a shouty arm-waver).The issue is about the performance of SOD as a manager.The decision on whether SOD goes or stays should be based on his performance not on what we might get if he goes. I think he should go and then the Board go and talk to Swansea on how to select a good manager.They lose a good one and sign one as good or better (Martinez,Rogers , Laudrup).Our Board lurch from one disaster to another.

Quite but he has hardly been a raving success either, be honest do you believe this current squad is capable of going on a sustained winning run? because it seems to me that SOD has backed himself into the same cul de sac as DMC who said we didn't have the players to play anything other than 1 up front and in SODS case he signed the majority of this current squad.

I think we can quite honestly, not saying we are going to pull up trees en route but I am confident this squad is capable of producing an unbeaten run rather with draws and wins mixed in and we'll finish lower midtable come end of the season.

Is there any real difference?

of course there is, in our play season the belief was always there, late equalizers, late winners, late penalty saves, the belief is at the moment when are we going to **** it up?.

i'll be honest with you had we gone down fighting last season, i'd be with you all the way, but I personally have no faith that SOD can ever turn us into a consistent team, I hope I am wrong.

I think we can quite honestly, not saying we are going to pull up trees en route but I am confident this squad is capable of producing an unbeaten run rather with draws and wins mixed in and we'll finish lower midtable come end of the season.

I think he's made a rod for his own back by allowing two home games to be postponed for quite inadequate reasons, making the recent run (5A,1H) look worse than it really is. It's all very well for him to say that he doesn't look at the league table, but we do, and the players do. Being bottom isn't good for anybody's morale.

Well we will have to better 1 shot on target against a team described as shit by eye witnesses.

You really don't get it, do you? The point is that Dicks, Ferguson, etc. were in process of building new teams after a team had been allowed to get old and complacent. But for a fortunate cup victory, both would undoubtedly have been sacked. Would that have been an improvement?

All very well to ask for SOD's head - but can you be sure that you wouldn't be tearing up the work that he's done. That's what would have happened to those managers without their cup victories.

Some of the suggestions I've seen here are literally farcical - my favourite is Carey and Murray :facepalm:

I get your point but you must understand that the leagues in which those runs were happining does make a difference

Going down to league 2 is far more scary than flirting with league 1 or the chapionship and requires quicker action 

Simply put we were awful today. If JET isn't on song we have no goal threat, this is O'Driscolls team and its not getting any better, I have always thought that we were improving but we aren't, We are devoid of ideas and have too many safe players who can pass a ball 10 yards but don't move enough or have a trick to beat an opponent. Its very easy to play against us and we always find a way to concede. Worrying times and I think the manager is on his last legs. The performance today indicates that all is not well in the camp.

I get your point but you must understand that the leagues in which those runs were happining does make a difference

Going down to league 2 is far more scary than flirting with league 1 or the chapionship and requires quicker action

It all depends where you're starting from. There's a curious belief among City fans that our natural place is near the top of the Championship. Apart from very brief periods at both ends, we've mainly bounced between divisions 2 & 3 for the 50+ years I've been a fan. I think that honestly represents our place in things given our level of support, and the level of enthusiasm for sport in this city.

I would be gutted to see us drop into the basement, but I don't think that's likely, even on the basis of this season's results so far. The bookies certainly don't think so, and they're not bad judges.

As I've said elsewhere, with foresight as well as hindsight, postponing those two home games for no good reason has done us no favours. It makes us look much worse than we are, which cannot be a good thing.

I hope that the poor morale of our fans won't spread on to the pitch, but it was a bloody stupid thing to do.

Where is this belief that SOD is going to turn this around,it's certainly not on his record as a manager with his previous clubs. His highest win % at any club over the last 4-5 years is 38%.Whats the bloody point in having most of the ball in games and ending up with jackshit and no points.I don't know what he's like with the players but he doesn't feel me with confidence before games when he continually says how dangerous the opposition are.I know we're in a so called "transition period" but the side has a lot of experience in it and on paper is one of the strongest in L1.Just to finish,when he was sacked by Doncaster they took only 1 point from there 1st 7 games coupled with 1 win in 19 from the last half of the previous season.Sound familiar,oh and they weren't going through a transition period either.I really wanted him to succeed,but how much longer is this going to go on.

Chopping and changing isn't the answer, I hate to say this but financial stability is more important than football at the moment. If landsdown walked and left the debt, and I wouldn't blame him given the grief he gets on here, we would be in dire straights, 1982 and all that.

We have a juggling act of priorities and in no particular order

1. Get the finances in order and ensure the club survives

2. Offload expensive players when contracts expire [pearson, Fontaine, kilkenny], I wonder how much they all cost and how many minutes they will play this season?

3. Continue to develop the academy

4. Win some football matches

I understand all those shouting for sods head but it seems more dislike for the guy and no real answers to who would replace and what any replacement would do with limited funding and the inevitable team rebuilding exercise which would lead to further player and back room changes....

There is no quick fix

It all depends where you're starting from. There's a curious belief among City fans that our natural place is near the top of the Championship. Apart from very brief periods at both ends, we've mainly bounced between divisions 2 & 3 for the 50+ years I've been a fan. I think that honestly represents our place in things given our level of support, and the level of enthusiasm for sport in this city.

I would be gutted to see us drop into the basement, but I don't think that's likely, even on the basis of this season's results so far. The bookies certainly don't think so, and they're not bad judges.

As I've said elsewhere, with foresight as well as hindsight, postponing those two home games for no good reason has done us no favours. It makes us look much worse than we are, which cannot be a good thing.

I hope that the poor morale of our fans won't spread on to the pitch, but it was a bloody stupid thing to do.

You are probably correct about our status, it's the much maligned GJ that changed the thought process on that one and SL bought into it and indulged on spending spree (ultimately at the clubs expense). As soon as GJ left so did SL's interest and now he won't put his hand in his pocket anymore like we in the past apparently forced him to do, as for the morale I think that went 3 years ago and the players just wear the uniform and take the money, few of them really care that deeply about the club and today I listened to SOD's pre match interview and after 2 minutes was praying that the computer would start buffering (unfortunately it didn't) at the end I almost phoned the samaritans I was so depressed, the good news was I deliberately didn't listen to his post match interview because life is too short, but I pity the players if his team talks are anything similar to that, for a start they must think they are going prematurely deaf.

I get the point you're making but feel is now out of date. This league run is in a league of its own. We aren't a big club but have greater resources than most at this level. Resources enough to allow for respectability through transition.

But maybe I'm exaggerating. I'll feel better if you can reassure me be pointing out the dates of Alan Dicks' and Alex Ferguson' 20 game runs without a win and how many relegation so they collected along the way.

Same old faces gleeful in defeat.

Shameless.

Not as shameless as being bottom of the league though no?

Nobody is gleeful about losing mate. Jesus christ.

People here care about Bristol City. I suspect surprisingly that they dont want us being relegated again and being in the basement division.

Not as shameless as being bottom of the league though no?

Nobody is gleeful about losing mate. Jesus christ.

People here care about Bristol City. I suspect surprisingly that they dont want us being relegated again and being in the basement division.

Good post and yes there are some of us who've seen the forth division before, seen how bad that is, seen how easily you can drop through the divisions once you start to slide.

I know its shite at the mo but whats the point in keep changing manager.Like it or not SOD knows what he is trying to do,ok he is lucky on our present run that he keeps his job but thankfully our board believe in him and what he is trying to achieve.All the get DEL out last year and we will be ok brigade got what they wanted and things havent exactly been a bed of roses since have they!!Give the guy time the lack of win is so obviously like a lead weight around the players neck when it comes(hopefully very soon!!) im sure things will get better so just get used to the fact our board wont sack him and keep backing like us "happy clappers"who understand what is going on and have patience and see who is right in the long run

Playing devils advocate here: Should we stick with SOD, and we dont stop the rot effectively, then relegation beckons, into the bottom tier, with lower gates, NO TV money, no travelling support, half of L2 are living on the edge of bankruptcy, the other half are ambitious well run ex Conference sides, for which City (along with the likes of Pompey, Bradford, Swindle are cup games with our (deminished) support.

Doubtless these pox ridden players will bail out. SOD then has to get MORE replacement players in, and another rebuilding season, which could go the same way as this cluster****.

How far/long do we accept him staying? hmmmmm?

For the record getting any other suck...sorry replacement mnager in here will prove a nightmare what with this one shaping up to be our fourth season struggling with relegation. and during this time we have had 6 ****** managers, every single one of which has contributed to this ****** awful mess....

Shameless.

Funny how certain posters input to the thread is reduced to petty sniping, when there is a good chance that they are starting to doubt sods ability to do the job. I know certain people won't admit it because they have invested a lot of time defending what has happened this season.

I have had a little look around the forum tonight and it seems there is a lot less defending what has happened today than in recent weeks. You know we are in trouble when the sod in crowds only comeback is to keep on churning out the " who do we replace him with then??" line. Im not saying he should/shouldn't go but just for 1 game abandon certain rigid tactics and formations and please get us a win!! That's the platform we need to build upon at the moment. Forget the long term plan for 1 game and get us started in the win column, it will be a lot easier to implement his long term plans and ideas with a smidge of confidence within the squad that a win would bring imo.

Shameless.

You LIKE being ******* bottom, in a 20 league game without a win run?????

One of the three worst teams in L1 for conceding goals, and one of two or three sides in the LEAGUE without a win.

Jesus Christ, you are easily pleased then.

Funny how certain posters input to the thread is reduced to petty sniping, when there is a good chance that they are starting to doubt sods ability to do the job. I know certain people won't admit it because they have invested a lot of time defending what has happened this season.

I have had a little look around the forum tonight and it seems there is a lot less defending what has happened today than in recent weeks. You know we are in trouble when the sod in crowds only comeback is to keep on churning out the " who do we replace him with then??" line. Im not saying he should/shouldn't go but just for 1 game abandon certain rigid tactics and formations and please get us a win!! That's the platform we need to build upon at the moment. Forget the long term plan for 1 game and get us started in the win column, it will be a lot easier to implement his long term plans and ideas with a smidge of confidence within the squad that a win would bring imo.

Agree totally,20% possession and a shite 1-0 win,that'll do for starters.

Archived