IGNORED

City Sign Gillett (Merged)

East end Forever

Not surprised by this at all as Forest have just signed another central midfielder so he was always gonna go.

"One of the best players for Forest with SOD at helm, sits infront of back 4 breaking play up and bringing others into game. Can tackle and good engine but not quick as such, very good signing for you and unlucky not to be in team as he hasn't been given chance since a bad mistake at derby game" - from forest mate

He's a one goal in 30 apps. man.

I see lack of goals in any midfielder as a drawback.

Any professional should be able to pass the ball 10 - 15 yards in any direction to a team mate, it's not really something to be admired.

Perhaps he offers more and is in fact the 'missing link' man.

We shall see, but on the face of it, a fairly uninspired and puzzling addition.

Any professional should be able to pass the ball 10 - 15 yards in any direction to a team mate, it's not really something to be admired.

We shall see, but on the face of it, a fairly uninspired and puzzling addition

Makelele scored 2 in 144 for Chelsea. Didn't stop him being one of the first names on the teamsheet. Goals isn't everything.

Hopefully a Leon Britton type. Is a strange one though.

Got to be a threat to Pack in the defensive central midfield position. While Pack hasn't set any pulses racing he's been ok and from what I've seen from his visits to Plainmoor has far more to offer eg freekicks. Just made captain as well.

Very odd signing when we could do with strengthening elsewhere. Maybe he's just so good that when his name came up SoD couldn't resist.   

Aww come on, give the bloke a chance. We had a bad experience with Kilkenny, (and a few others) don't tar everyone with the same brush. He has experience which we are needing to help our kids. He finds himself unlucky to be out of a Championship side. We aren't up there any more, we can't be too chosey. Sometimes all it takes is to change a player or two to make that spark, at least we are trying now rather than waiting until January. We got a lot of catching up to do.

We shall see, but on the face of it, a fairly uninspired and puzzling addition.

It's all very well saying that about passing...but it's not always that simple.

You need your team mates to move for you and into space to receive that pass.

How often have we seen Kilkenny and others, pass sideways because we haven't had enough movement in the correct places to provide that decisive forward pass.

It's more important to move than the pass needlessly.

Pass and move...pass and move... simples

Unlike JET and Baldock who often just stand their waiting...

Strange one this. Our team seems to look better with Marvin in it, but he's often absent for internationals or injury. Many also questioned if Marv could pass well enough for a SoD team.

I see this as an upgrade on Marv, combative but also a passer. May allow Pack to get forward more and show the range of passing he displayed against Bradford.

How about

____________Parrish

Moloney----Flint----Williams---Shorey

____________Gillet

---Wagstaff____Pack____Reid

___________JET

__________Taylor

Waggy and Reid can swap places, Pack and Gillet can take turns covering or supporting and it gives a bit more strength in the middle to allow JET to float around. Waggy and Reid can also offer a bit of width if needed.

It's all very well saying that about passing...but it's not always that simple.

You need your team mates to move for you and into space to receive that pass.

How often have we seen Kilkenny and others, pass sideways because we haven't had enough movement in the correct places to provide that decisive forward pass.

It's more important to move than the pass needlessly.

Pass and move...pass and move... simples

Unlike JET and Baldock who often just stand their waiting...

Please. How many times have we seen Kilkenny pass sideways or backwards in spite of good movement ahead of him.

Just last season I can think of a number of occassions when albert was at the heels of the fullback but kilkenny would trap the ball, kill the game dead and then pass back to Fontaine et al to lump it towards Baldock.

Please. How many times have we seen Kilkenny pass sideways or backwards in spite of good movement ahead of him.

Just last season I can think of a number of occassions when albert was at the heels of the fullback but kilkenny would trap the ball, kill the game dead and then pass back to Fontaine et al to lump it towards Baldock.

How many times did we see Albert receive the ball and run into three defenders and lose the ball, only for the defence to be put under pressure again.

If others in that team made movement, we would have had more options to pass too... then we wouldn't have been so reliant on Albert.

Teams knew this and put three men on Albert, thus nullifying any effect going forward.

It even happened when we had Sno and Hartley here... we have a habit of not moving into space to receive the ball in the correct position and keep possession.

At least Sod is trying to rectify that...wouldn't you agree?

Strange one this. Our team seems to look better with Marvin in it, but he's often absent for internationals or injury. Many also questioned if Marv could pass well enough for a SoD team.

I see this as an upgrade on Marv, combative but also a passer. May allow Pack to get forward more and show the range of passing he displayed against Bradford.

How about

____________Parrish

Moloney----Flint----Williams---Shorey

____________Gillet

---Wagstaff____Pack____Reid

___________JET

__________Taylor

Waggy and Reid can swap places, Pack and Gillet can take turns covering or supporting and it gives a bit more strength in the middle to allow JET to float around. Waggy and Reid can also offer a bit of width if needed.

I like that.

I think Pack has more to offer with less defensive duties, that formation would certainly help in that regard.

Yeah, I did read other posts, unfortunately it would seem trite to repost an entire Florist forum here. 

I will just repost this though, 

We already have a glut of midfielders who can do that. As I've said and others said, it's a puzzling signing. Doesnt mean he will be rubbish or whatever. It just makes no sense when the squad clearly has issues elsewhere and we already have Reid, Elliott, Wynter, Pack, and Kilkenny who can play in the centre, now with added Gillett 6 in to 2 spots doesnt go. Wynter has already been frozen out, Kilkenny who was meant to be doing the Gillett job, isnt and that still leaves 4 into 2 spots.

BCFC DAN, here is what the recruitment thingy says from Feb

The BIB is important. The last 6 signings we have made are Harewood (33), Shorey (32) O'Connor (28), McLaughlin (23), Dunk (21), Gillett (27) Average age 27.3 or something daft. That's 4 players over age and only 2 under. The young players have become the exception, which means that the 'pillars' arent being adhered to as older players are not the exception they are becoming the majority, flying in the face of what we've been promised and what we wouldnt do.

We weren't going to go down a GJ dynasty/Old player route, we weren't going to sign older players as a stop gap, we weren't going to sign players in positions where we already have strength in depth, yet we have done all that.

It's not surprising therefore that some people are a bit miffed by this as it completely flies in the face of what we've been told to expect and indeed began over the summer, only to completely abandon it once, SO'D realised that his tactics were in largely inept as seen by the results and the ever changing amount of personnel. We already have the squad and the players without spending more on areas we don't need for midtable. It's like the club doesnt actually learn. 

Its a short term loan probably until Liam Kelly returns.

Low risk and doesn't hurt to add to the squad over Christmas/New Year when the fixtures pile up in a short space of time.

Yeah, I did read other posts, unfortunately it would seem trite to repost an entire Florist forum here.

I will just repost this though,

We already have a glut of midfielders who can do that. As I've said and others said, it's a puzzling signing. Doesnt mean he will be rubbish or whatever. It just makes no sense when the squad clearly has issues elsewhere and we already have Reid, Elliott, Wynter, Pack, and Kilkenny who can play in the centre, now with added Gillett 6 in to 2 spots doesnt go. Wynter has already been frozen out, Kilkenny who was meant to be doing the Gillett job, isnt and that still leaves 4 into 2 spots.

It seems to me that the loans have been brought in because players weren't performing or their position became 'untenable'- eg with Fontaine, leading him going on loan and o'connor coming in, o'connor gets injured so we bring dunk in.

I'm sure that if one or two midfielders got injured there would be complaints of lack of depth- we now have a loan that ends around the time Kelly comes back

BCFC DAN, here is what the recruitment thingy says from Feb

The BIB is important. The last 6 signings we have made are Harewood (33), Shorey (32) O'Connor (28), McLaughlin (23), Dunk (21), Gillett (27) Average age 27.3 or something daft. That's 4 players over age and only 2 under. The young players have become the exception, which means that the 'pillars' arent being adhered to as older players are not the exception they are becoming the majority, flying in the face of what we've been promised and what we wouldnt do.

Here you've chosen only things that suit you're argument, if we look at permanent transfers it's 7 under 24 and 2 over (unless shorey is a permanent transfer, I'm not sure, in which case it's 7/3)

We weren't going to go down a GJ dynasty/Old player route, we weren't going to sign older players as a stop gap, we weren't going to sign players in positions where we already have strength in depth, yet we have done all that.

In regards to strength in depth I wouldn't say we had that at CB, and we just about have enough in midfield and as we are coming up to a part oft he season where fixtures get contested, it's not going to hapurt to have an extra player we can use

It's not surprising therefore that some people are a bit miffed by this as it completely flies in the face of what we've been told to expect and indeed began over the summer, only to completely abandon it once, SO'D realised that his tactics were in largely inept as seen by the results and the ever changing amount of personnel. We already have the squad and the players without spending more on areas we don't need for midtable. It's like the club doesnt actually learn.

How many times did we see Albert receive the ball and run into three defenders and lose the ball, only for the defence to be put under pressure again.

If others in that team made movement, we would have had more options to pass too... then we wouldn't have been so reliant on Albert.

Teams knew this and put three men on Albert, thus nullifying any effect going forward.

It even happened when we had Sno and Hartley here... we have a habit of not moving into space to receive the ball in the correct position and keep possession.

At least Sod is trying to rectify that...wouldn't you agree?

Agree-ish. But that said what I have seen is retain ball in our own third until an uninspiring lump upfield to a tiny striker, as opposed to no ball retention whatsoever and lump upfield.

I honestly don't think our play this season is anything to wax lyrical about. If anything I think it is equally as predictable and inneffective.

Agree-ish. But that said what I have seen is retain ball in our own third until an uninspiring lump upfield to a tiny striker, as opposed to no ball retention whatsoever and lump upfield.

I honestly don't think our play this season is anything to wax lyrical about. If anything I think it is equally as predictable and inneffective.

The possession game takes ages to develop.

Getting players to feel comfortable on the ball under pressure and move the ball around instead of lumping it, takes a lot of getting used to... especially in a match situation and not just training.

Once that comfort becomes ingrained, the development of movement will become easier.

It won't change in a season of games... British defenders aren't used to it.

It never did the Liverpool team and the Dutch team any harm in the 70's... the same principle still holds true today.

Patience is the virtue... once these younger players develop that knowledge i'm sure it will all come good in other places on the field too.

The possession game takes ages to develop.

Getting players to feel comfortable on the ball under pressure and move the ball around instead of lumping it, takes a lot of getting used to... especially in a match situation and not just training.

Once that comfort becomes ingrained, the development of movement will become easier.

It won't change in a season of games... British defenders aren't used to it.

It never did the Liverpool team and the Dutch team any harm in the 70's... the same principle still holds true today.

Patience is the virtue... once these younger players develop that knowledge i'm sure it will all come good in other places on the field too.

Maybe just me who finds the possession game incredibly oring. Old-fashioned but give me two flying wingers and a 6ft forward up top any day. Watching the ball go tentatively side to side back to front tiki taki is blooming dull from my view of the pitch.

In any case, I stand by my point, the football is just as ineffective and just as predictable, only for now we are passing for passing's sake only for an eventual revert to type ball.

Well we have quite a number of new faces at AG this year evidently the Sod Squad have taken their time to gel.. This could be just the loan we need to sharpen us up, It looks like a good loan and as long as nothing goes Wonga we could find ourselves out of stubble by the new year .. Chin up you Reds, if everything goes smoother for us from now on, we could even make a cheeky late dash towards the play- offs, it's possible we might just make it by a whisker. Stiff upper lips chaps, COYR's :)

Archived