IGNORED

Forest Green

KevP

We frequent there quite often KevP and we were going to go today but got Groupon tickets for Glos rugby. I took son there instead for his first taste of it, glad really as it made me even more assured that football rocks.. And yes the chips are and always have been class :)

Forest green have a budget and set up bigger than most lge 2 and many lge 1 clubs d, beforee their sugar daddy owner came aloong they were struggling along on gates of 500 and we're actually relegated from the conference twice ,but both times were reprieved due to alleged offences by other clubs, amidst much mutterings about brown envelopes, ( ask Salisbury city supporters ) most of their support comes from loc, ally based plastics Swindon fans and citg fans without the stomach to support a city side going through a rough spell, I feel to se athe love in with this club who are attempting to do what Crawley and Fleetwood are chastised for doing, buying success !if anybody wants to go to a non lge game when city are away go to Gloucester city or any other club that realy need your money and support, not a rich mans play thing !

whatever you say harry, funny how all the love in with fgr dried up when they we're loosing but now lools to be back on, and of course their new ground and huge playing budget ( bigger tban swindons on good authority ) dosnt come from vinces pocket ,!it obvious that their gates of around 1,000 finance it !

whatever you say harry, funny how all the love in with fgr dried up when they we're loosing but now lools to be back on, and of course their new ground and huge playing budget ( bigger tban swindons on good authority ) dosnt come from vinces pocket ,!it obvious that their gates of around 1,000 finance it !

Come on now Tim - I thought we'd been agreeing on a few things recently!! ;)

No "love-in" for me and if there was it certainly didn't dry up due to results.  I don't 'support' FGR so don't really give a hoot if they win, lose or draw when I'm up there.  Last Tuesday was the first game I was able make up there this season as City weren't playing and I wasn't doing anything else.

I've not suggested that Vince doesn't put a fair bit of money in - he clearly does.  But they do a hell of a lot off the pitch to help the out too and as I've said, BCFC would do well to learn a thing or two.

They also go crawling on to the rovers fan forum, pushing their cheap admision for a/t holders deal, putting the lie to their claims to looove city, I know my views are unfashionable but I support city, and don't particularly like it when people come on a city forum and compare city unfavourabky with a club that is attempting to buy success, but hey you enjoy yourself watching a winning team, alomg with all the other city till I diers, whose support is conditiknal on us winning ! I'll carry on supporfing city !weird ain't I !

They also go crawling on to the rovers fan forum, pushing their cheap admision for a/t holders deal, putting the lie to their claims to looove city, I know my views are unfashionable but I support city, and don't particularly like it when people come on a city forum and compare city unfavourabky with a club that is attempting to buy success, but hey you enjoy yourself watching a winning team, alomg with all the other city till I diers, whose support is conditiknal on us winning ! I'll carry on supporfing city !weird ain't I !

Come on now Tim.

I love City too and was one of 364 people who were at Carlisle.  I've also been to every home game (including all cups) and a number of away games too.  I only go to FGR if City aren't playing and I've got nowt else to do and if I can afford it.  Let's not pretend any of us is a better supporter of BCFC than the next one.  We're all City and we all want the best for our club.

FGR's half price offer is open to ST holders of any club, not just City.  So what if they're advertising and trying to entice fans to their club.  Something that our club ought to do more of - advertising - don't you think?  If you pass through our town centre you'll see NOTHING telling you there might be a game on at AG.  We don't advertise our club.  Why not?  And why is it wrong for FGR to do this?

I'm not sure if you have read the ACTUAL words in my posts, but I am not swanning off to watch a winning team.  My support of BCFC is also unconditional, just like yours.  What's so wrong with me popping to a non-league team every now and then when MY club isn't playing.  And what is so wrong with pointing out how impressed I am with their facilities compared to what we have at AG.  I'm only suggesting City take a look at their model in the hope of making MY club, BCFC, a better club.

They bought their facilities!they rely on I one mans support, they were a nothing club whwn he came and they'll be a nothing club when he goes, as I said a non lhe club rar more deserving of and in need of support is gloucester city, but I suppose they don't win enough games to deserve the support of bcfc fans who after all are renowned for our loyalty, knowledge, and for not glory grabbing band waggon jumping at all!

They bought their facilities!they rely on I one mans support, they were a nothing club whwn he came and they'll be a nothing club when he goes, as I said a non lhe club rar more deserving of and in need of support is gloucester city, but I suppose they don't win enough games to deserve the support of bcfc fans who after all are renowned for our loyalty, knowledge, and for not glory grabbing band waggon jumping at all!

And has BCFC been much different under SL? Massively overspending beyond our means to try buy success, which has failed miserably. SL also put alot into our facilities and a new stadium with which would be able to get if he was not here? Up until the last 18 months (now were getting back on a sound financial footing) haven't we been totally relying on one mans support to keep us going? Really are we THAT different? It almost comes accross as bit of hatred towards them?

Cant disagree with most of that red brizzle robin, only thing is that I am a bristol city supporter not a fgr supporter , you're right I can't stand them, but as a bristol city supporter I don't go on fgr forums going on about how wonderfull bristol city are here's a thought ! let's go on their board and invite them to come and watch city next tme fgr are away I bet the answer would consist of two words, one beginning with f and the other with o ! most of them are Swindon fans !

Great stuff KevP.  I've been up to FGR a few times now and always enjoy the experience.  If you are a City Season Ticket Holder you are able to purchase 2 tickets at half price.  We usually go in the Main Stand and have a pre-match pint and bit of grub in the Carol Embrey Suite. The food is excellent (had a lovely veggie burger and chips up there last Tuesday v Nuneaton, but the hake & chips is always a cracker!)

There's a nice atmos in the bar and you get the chairman and players who aren't in the squad mingling up there with supporters (take note BCFC!)  We were having a chat with Stokes (their injured left back, last week).  There's no heirs and graces up there - everyone can mingle with everyone else.

I've been impressed with Jamie Turley in most games I've seen - although he was a bit quiet last Tuesday.  James Norwood is also a talented boy but is lacking a bit of confidence at the moment.  Eddie Oshodi is a good centre-half too.

City would do well to advertise the half-price ticket offer for our ST holders.  They're a great little club to establish links with and are working really hard at their youth set-up.  Obviously we sent Burns up there on loan last season, and I'd love to see us give them Joe Morrell asap to get him playing some proper football.

Hey Tim.  I can appreciate the frustrations of Salisbury City, but to be frank, they broke the rules and got relegated.  That wasn't FGR's fault.

Yes, Vince has come in as owner and he's put a bit of money in and they do have a top 6 budget, but there is a hell of lot they do to help their budget along - it's not just investment from the owner.

They may be a small club but their hospitality puts BCFC to shame.  Remember, we currently have Zero Exec boxes.  FGR have Exec boxes all along the length of the main stand and every time I've been there, all of the boxes are sold out.  This is a great revenue generator.

They run a multitude of events on non-matchdays - business conferences, birthday parties, charity dinners, team building days, presentation evenings etc.  They even cater for weddings - a good money-spinner!  Now remember that City generate pretty much f-all from Ashton Gate on non-matchdays.

They also have a gym attached to the stadium which is NOT for the sole use of the players and staff.  Anyone can become a member of the gym and this obviously also generates revenue.

Finally, they have their own pub.  For 7 days a week the pub is open to everyone and clearly generates cash.  Obviously the pub can also be used for all the other things I've mentioned above (weddings, parties etc).

Oh - and I almost forgot - 10% of their power is generated by solar energy - so their leccy bill is cheaper than every other club too!!

Off the pitch, BCFC are miles behind FGR and City officials would do a good job by getting up there to have a look.

I think it was mooted in the Bountyhunter recently that City should attempt to purchase the old Luckwell Club and turn it into a 7-day-a-week bar.  North Street is thriving and City could open up a large venue here which serves as a Supporters Club on matchdays but generates money the other 6 days of the week as well serving food, drink, holding events etc.  City have nothing like this.  FGR do.  Revenue directly into the club.

It's not all about getting a spanking new stadium and hoping for the best.  There are numerous initiatives BCFC could buy into which make the club more self-sustainable.  I mean - is there a gym at Ashton Gate?  If so, why not open it up to the public at a reasonable membership fee?  Make the club some money!

FGR may be slated for the size of their budget compared to other clubs at that level, but they do a hell of lot to make themselves more self-sufficient than a great many other clubs.  They are far from a rich-mans plaything fella.  They are also trying to make sure they don't have to spend spend spend by working on a very good youth policy.

As I've said before - BCFC should take note.  If we could replicate for 10-15,000 fans what FGR do for 1000 then we'd be in great shape.

I can only concur with what Harry has said... It's a really enjoyable football experience at FGR... I prefer, way more than going to AG...fantastic facilities...awesome gym... green energy led, fantastic local food and drink at good prices, friendly, accommodating, what's not to like....

Yes, I've always wanted to watch a game there. Totally impractical by public 'transport' from Bristol, though :(

Not totally impractical, train to Gloucester and then the 93 bus to Forest Green.. granted it would take a couple of hours but it is doable.

On a side note I cant stand the club.. never have done pre Dale Vince and still don't.

If you enjoy it so much more than going to Ashton gate spudski I suggest you go ,!fgr are always looking for fickle city fans and gashead, in fact their support is based on plastic fans who only go to watch a winning team ( note how after a view defeats their support dips from 1200 to 400, of course when Vince has a tantrum andwalks away leaving them at their true level, local derbys with bishops clever and Cinderford, I'm sure you'll stick with them, after all your not just climbing on a bandwaggon are you ?

Whats not to like spudski is that they are a totaly plastic club who Quite happily spent their entire history playing other villages in front of a couple of hundred people till vince and his pre decessor came in and pouted ridiculous ammount of money,btw Harry spudski and all you others who are deserting Ashton gate, for their entire history fgr s colours ware black and white, vince changed their colours because he can ! of course I suppose that what is destroying the fabric of football at cardiff is ok at fgr ( as long as they keep winning ah lads ! )

Archived