IGNORED

Forest Green

KevP

Those were the days! I found a load of old programmes from Dursley Town games when I was back at my parents' house recently. They had a really good side back then.

As for Forest Green, their situation is a sad summation of the state of modern football really. They got where they are through hard work and good management under Frank Gregan. There's basically no way for a club of that size to compete and sustain itself at that level, though. They built the new ground to try and make the leap but just at the time when the financial world collapsed and the repayments became crippling. Dale Vince stepped in and saved them. Now he's undoubtedly using them as a vehicle to promote Ecotricity, but at least they have a competitive team. The question, as with Lansdown at City, is: in what state will he leave them? I don't know what the situation is with ownership of the ground there, but to my mind if they own it, they'll have a chance of self-sufficiency, if not at the current levels of expenditure.

Dursley Town programmes, forgot about those! How long ago was that, 20 years I guess?

Names of players? Hmm. Dave Trinder & Rich Gillingham were the forwards I think. Martin Booth in midfield. The goalkeeper was Ryan(?) Chandler. Chris Dolbear and Joe Italese were defenders I think.

There was a guy putting a bit of money behind them at the time but they couldn't develop the ground due to it being on the public recreation ground, so he took his money and some of the players down to Slimbridge.

On a related note, I saw the other day that Wotton Rovers are struggling to put out teams now. I remember going to watch Dursley play there in the County League. Their pitch sloped more than Snowdon!

Names of players? Hmm. Dave Trinder & Rich Gillingham were the forwards I think. Martin Booth in midfield. The goalkeeper was Ryan(?) Chandler. Chris Dolbear and Joe Italese were defenders I think.

There was a guy putting a bit of money behind them at the time but they couldn't develop the ground due to it being on the public recreation ground, so he took his money and some of the players down to Slimbridge.

On a related note, I saw the other day that Wotton Rovers are struggling to put out teams now. I remember going to watch Dursley play there in the County League. Their pitch sloped more than Snowdon!

Trinny & Rich were a good pairing, Boothy was quick as lightning. Went to school with Ryan, still play cricket with him now - he was a clogging centre half before playing in goal to help out one week, never looked back! Guess Chris Curtis must have been in there too, he was class at that level

Presuming it was John Mack who put the money in, he certainly put some into Slimbridge for a few years

Yeah, read that about Wotton, real shame that. Saw some good battles between the two back in the day. Didn't Alexander (ex G*s) turn out for Wotton around that time? Certainly remember giving him some shit down The Rec one afternoon, which he took really well, which surprised me!

Trinny & Rich were a good pairing, Boothy was quick as lightning. Went to school with Ryan, still play cricket with him now - he was a clogging centre half before playing in goal to help out one week, never looked back! Guess Chris Curtis must have been in there too, he was class at that level

Presuming it was John Mack who put the money in, he certainly put some into Slimbridge for a few years

Yeah, read that about Wotton, real shame that. Saw some good battles between the two back in the day. Didn't Alexander (ex G*s) turn out for Wotton around that time? Certainly remember giving him some shit down The Rec one afternoon, which he took really well, which surprised me!

Blimey... Blasts from the past... I remember playing against some of those lads when at Yate...good times...

I am 80% sure it was Stokes brothers who funded the Slimbridge team... they reached the Hellenic Premier and even knocked out Chippenham Town to reach the 4th Qualifying round of the FA Cup before losing to Merthyr Tydfil. They got promoted to the South & West Division but then the money was pulled out and back into the Hellenic.. shame really.

Dan is right, a lot jumped ship from Durzel to Slimbridge and then the inevitable decline happened.

I get everything right, "Rob" you should know that. It's bloody "vegetables" like this "Harry"bugger that's got me all worked up...

I thought Harry might have waded back in to this thread, I can imagine he hasn't knitted enough yoghurt in his eco-yurt to generate sufficient money for a new solar panel with which his organic router will draw just enough power from so that he can post a message from his co-op branded lap-slate.

Either that, or his body has gone in to shock from the veggie burger and he hasn't left the khazi since the last FGR match.

Green tea anyone?

I'd have loved to have "waded" back in here last night but Sunday night is strictly NFL for me so I was a tad too busy watching my Cincinnati Bengals in action.  Vontaze Burfict was awesome as usual.  He's my super-fave (only after Bob Taylor though!)

Not sure our friend Mr "T-Bird" would approve of me watching another sport though?  I must concentrate all of my support on BCFC of course.  I couldn't possibly find the time to enjoy anything else!!

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I pop back on here and see "Veggie-Gate" in full swing.

I'd like to assure all of my friends on here that I have not "turned" and I still love a bit of meat!

Me and Mrs Harry settled down last night to a nice bit of griddled swan - with gin, of course.

I'd have loved to have "waded" back in here last night but Sunday night is strictly NFL for me so I was a tad too busy watching my Cincinnati Bengals in action. Vontaze Burfict was awesome as usual. He's my super-fave (only after Bob Taylor though!)

Not sure our friend Mr "T-Bird" would approve of me watching another sport though? I must concentrate all of my support on BCFC of course. I couldn't possibly find the time to enjoy anything else!!

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I pop back on here and see "Veggie-Gate" in full swing.

I'd like to assure all of my friends on here that I have not "turned" and I still love a bit of meat!

Me and Mrs Harry settled down last night to a nice bit of griddled swan - with gin, of course.

Only a veggie would watch NFL rather than spending Sunday evening doing something more Bristol City based.

Do you think they'll have a Number 7 Sandwich at that curry house?

Anyway, as said, I'm strictly on the gin and swan now after my dabble with the veggies. Maybe they'll have a Swan Chat Phal?

Since you went veggie everything you eat is phal.

Maybe someone will order you a veggie korma, with some boiled rice if you are thinking of living dangerously.

Archived