IGNORED

Sacking Left Me Feeling Ashamed

SJC

I haven't gone through this thread, has anybody said "I haven't felt like this since being told Diana had died" or "I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the day SOD was sacked"?.

Give it a rest, EMB. It's not about emotion, as you very well know. It's about whether this was a good or bad decision. IMHO, it was a disastrously bad decision. Time alone will tell, though.

No worries Redfred...I've had Glyn Riley on Block list for a while now, so had no idea of his comment.

He doesn't like my comments so I choose to ignore his...I suggest he does the same with me...each to their own.

I've noticed he always has a go at anyone who listens to people within the Pro game... shame...because I know of a few on hear that have really good contacts within football and people choose to ignore them... that's their prerogative.

Don't know why...but it comes over as childish...I could understand if it were some kid trying to get attention.

No disrespect to him though...he's entitled to his opinion. I've just chose to ignore him now, as he comes across as vindictive.

If he actually read other posts as to who I've spoken too he'd understand.

He'd also understand that if you know people in the game you don't name them for obvious reasons.

Surely it's better to share things you've heard than presuming all the time?

Why are people treating SOD like he was the Messiah?  He was a poor performing manager, the stats dont lie. 

Because only simpleton's think managing a football club has ONE measure.

Arguably he was under-achieving one the results front, but on all other fronts I would say he was succeeding.

I'm more embarrassed than ashamed, I really thought we had become a club that was going to allow a manager to have a proper go at something.

He did and not every chairman and manager have a great synergy, much like SL had with Johnson, but SL and SOD apparently had none at all. What lies behind that comment from SL about his relationship with SOD is a lot of spiky conversations between the two in the first few weeks of SOD's reign where some unexpectedly heated exchanges took place. The content of which would annoy most people, let alone someone who owns the place and irrespective of the mistakes you might have made.

All if the above is allegedly (does that cover my arse, mods?).

Once again - this is the problem!!!  Nobody on the Board has the courage or footballing know-how to stand up to Lansdown.    And it is not ok to say "well he owns the club so he can do what he wants".    It is for the Chair and the Board to hold the CEO accountable.

We just do not have a structure in place that should be tolerated - a toothless Chairman  (Dawe) being told what to do by the owner's son

Give it a rest, EMB. It's not about emotion, as you very well know. It's about whether this was a good or bad decision. IMHO, it was a disastrously bad decision. Time alone will tell, though.

Get a grip FFS, the last time I was sad over a BCFC manager being sacked was Terry Cooper, a proper manager who actually achieved something in far more testing times, with a far more constrained budget and when the club was in a true transition and I cannot even then recall 2 wins in 18 or 2 in 27. He was real legend and passionate but even his time had come.

Get a grip FFS, the last time I was sad over a BCFC manager being sacked was Terry Cooper, a proper manager who actually achieved something in far more testing times, with a far more constrained budget and when the club was in a true transition and I cannot even then recall 2 wins in 18 or 2 in 27. He was real legend and passionate but even his time had come.

Good grief, you're still at it!

I honestly don't know how to put it more simply. It's not about sad or happy. It's about whether it was a good or bad decision for the club. Is that too complicated for you to understand?

You may well think it was a good decision. I think you're wrong. Fair enough, but stop blatting on about those who disagree with you being emotional.

Good grief, you're still at it!

I honestly don't know how to put it more simply. It's not about sad or happy. It's about whether it was a good or bad decision for the club. Is that too complicated for you to understand?

You may well think it was a good decision. I think you're wrong. Fair enough, but stop blatting on about those who disagree with you being emotional.

of course unlike you, the one who has been quiet and unemotional for the past 2 days.

of course unlike you, the one who has been quiet and unemotional for the past 2 days.

I certainly haven't been quiet or unemotional but that's not the point. After all, you've been rocking with glee ever since the sacking was announced and this is the first time I've been provoked into mentioning it.

The question is whether it was the right decision. You seen far more interested in taking the p1ss out of those who disagree with you than in justifying that decision. Could it be that you're beginning to have an inkling that things are not going to be wonderful now Sean's gone?

I certainly haven't been quiet or unemotional but that's not the point. After all, you've been rocking with glee ever since the sacking was announced and this is the first time I've been provoked into mentioning it.

The question is whether it was the right decision. You seen far more interested in taking the p1ss out of those who disagree with you than in justifying that decision. Could it be that you're beginning to have an inkling that things are not going to be wonderful now Sean's gone?

Even for you that is hypocritical nonsense.

it's easy to justify, 2 wins in 18 games, beat that.

Sorry, but that says absolutely nothing about the development process. Tell me, do you ever watch the team play or do you just stare at the league tables?

Sorry, but that says absolutely nothing about the development process. Tell me, do you ever watch the team play or do you just stare at the league tables?

The development process was started by Millen and improved by DMC and built upon by SOD, it's value to the club going forward is unquantifiable and has nothing to do with why he was sacked.

May I have a go and try bring this back to something resembling a debate, my friend?

You of all people know that this club has something fundamentally wrong with it from the top to the bottom. Many have been calling for a long term plan ever since GJ's short-termism started to back fire. Stop-gap appointments like Millen and Del did little to amend the mistakes of the past culminating in a shoddy team chocker with several managers mistakes being relegated last season. The rhetoric (We can now agree that it was that) coming out of the club in the pre-season sold many season tickets. New start, long term plan, development of academy players, building of a project that would eventually result in something that Bristol City could be both proud of and instantly associated with. The end of the continued mistakes and short term bollocks that has killed our club. It was meant to be a fight, a struggle to do something new (to this club) to do something properly without cutting corners to mask the deep routed problems.

I have no proof that SOD would have taken us anywhere, but even your posts had begun to contain some optimism, particularly after Tuesday. We were showing the signs that there was something building here. 

Now we're back to square one, and for some reason the appointment of another short-termist manager with no idea about building a club from the bottom up feels imminent. The rebuild is nowhere near complete and now we're going to take another few steps backward. It's utterly flabbergasting that this is happening again. As you posted before, it's like groundhog day and we know what's coming from the inept decision makers at the top.

The development process was started by Millen and improved by DMC and built upon by SOD, it's value to the club going forward is unquantifiable and has nothing to do with why he was sacked.

Are you serious? So why was he sacked, in your expert opinion?

You have no proof SOD would have taken us anywhere because he wasn't Jordan.

We walked out of AG last weekend and I turned to my dad and said "I don't mind losses if we were improving but we are not. It's just terrible football"

18 games in. 2 wins. One lone striker at home to a team not won away in months.

He simply had to go because it wasn't working. One draw against Orient or not.

You have no proof SOD would have taken us anywhere because he wasn't Jordan.

We walked out of AG last weekend and I turned to my dad and said "I don't mind losses if we were improving but we are not. It's just terrible football"

18 games in. 2 wins. One lone striker at home to a team not won away in months.

He simply had to go because it wasn't working. One draw against Orient or not.

You're on ignore, Just so you know. 

I watch the team play. So tell me, have we been turning in some excellent performances this season or has it been lower league dross?

I watch the team play. So tell me, have we been turning in some excellent performances this season or has it been lower league dross?

I know you do, kaiser. Which is why I treat your opinions with respect. I was asking EMB.

It has been hard to watch but I believe it was progressing in the right direction. We shall never know now.

I know you do, kaiser. Which is why I treat your opinions with respect. I was asking EMB.

It has been hard to watch but I believe it was progressing in the right direction. We shall never know now.

I thought we were progressing after Carlisle. But then watched rubbish at AG.

I thought we were progressing at Tranmere then saw us capitulate in 2nd half to a terrible side.

Then I watched us have zero creativity v Sheffield UTD.

It just was too many false dawns followed by rubbish.

I just couldn't see it working and these are not bad players they just seem to have zero confidence.

I can see this turning into a "my hedgehog is bigger than your hedgehog" argument. Chill out, chaps. We all want the best for City.

I think we can safely say that Horace is the biggest hedgehog on this forum, even if he is hibernating ;)

I'm not boasting about my loyalty as a supporter, which is pretty unremarkable by any standard. I'm just pointing out that someone who hasn't seen the team play is ill-placed to judge its progress.

May I have a go and try bring this back to something resembling a debate, my friend?

You of all people know that this club has something fundamentally wrong with it from the top to the bottom. Many have been calling for a long term plan ever since GJ's short-termism started to back fire. Stop-gap appointments like Millen and Del did little to amend the mistakes of the past culminating in a shoddy team chocker with several managers mistakes being relegated last season. The rhetoric (We can now agree that it was that) coming out of the club in the pre-season sold many season tickets. New start, long term plan, development of academy players, building of a project that would eventually result in something that Bristol City could be both proud of and instantly associated with. The end of the continued mistakes and short term bollocks that has killed our club. It was meant to be a fight, a struggle to do something new (to this club) to do something properly without cutting corners to mask the deep routed problems.

I have no proof that SOD would have taken us anywhere, but even your posts had begun to contain some optimism, particularly after Tuesday. We were showing the signs that there was something building here. 

Now we're back to square one, and for some reason the appointment of another short-termist manager with no idea about building a club from the bottom up feels imminent. The rebuild is nowhere near complete and now we're going to take another few steps backward. It's utterly flabbergasting that this is happening again. As you posted before, it's like groundhog day and we know what's coming from the inept decision makers at the top.

I have been critical of the running of the club you better than anyone on here know that. The philosophy is fine and dandy and the development squad and the investment in the academy is great and hopefully in the 'future' we will begin to reap the benefits of that.

But here's the thing as I have already said for all of his failings Millen began that process and for all his failings DMC improved it greatly especially with bringing in extra staff and SOD has added new ideas and staff and hopefully in the fullness of time we will reap the benefits, so credit indeed for implementing the fine new processes but the the results are at this moment in time unquantifiable and if the future if they do reap benefits then I am sure SOD will get his just plaudits.

SOD did not micro manage the processes he helped to implement, that's why he brought in various new coaches to manage each age group within the academy, he is not the only coach in the world with this philosophy and it will not end here and now and why would it?.

He was sacked because of his record especially this season and other speculation being a rift with the board, BCFC will go on, the processes in place in the academy will go on, his main job was the first team and it wasn't going to plan he even admitted that himself and I know you don't think the timing was good but it was certainly 100% better than DMC's sacking last season.

Archived