IGNORED

Sacking Left Me Feeling Ashamed

SJC

Funny timing for the sacking i think. I thought we played really well against Orient and it was the first time i came away from Aston gate happy in quite a while. I think Sod worked with what he had and you could sense that we were just starting to move in the right direction. Who on earth do we get in now is the big question. I've read some names on heard the actually put the frighteners on me, Paul Tisdale being one. I'd rather have someone from the Downs league running the team than him.

Funny timing for the sacking i think. I thought we played really well against Orient and it was the first time i came away from Aston gate happy in quite a while. I think Sod worked with what he had and you could sense that we were just starting to move in the right direction. Who on earth do we get in now is the big question. I've read some names on heard the actually put the frighteners on me, Paul Tisdale being one. I'd rather have someone from the Downs league running the team than him.

They all frighten me. I'm hoping the law of averages kicks in and we fluke a decent appointment.

It wasn't as if we weren't losing games, we were still getting more draws than under McInnes. One of the strangest sackings from the club to date.

You'd have thought they must have had somebody lined up, given the weird timing, but apparently not. Is there no beginning to this Board's talent?

And what remains unknown and may have had considerable bearing on the decision is what has been said behind closed doors.

Nearly everyone on OTIB is judging the dismissal from an external position.

The article does change the perspective of the work SO'D was doing for the club but let's hope his replacement engages with community groups as well.

It wasn't as if we weren't losing games, we were still getting more draws than under McInnes. One of the strangest sackings from the club to date.

If we carry on with the same lose/draw/win ratio we'll get relegated by April.  We haven't been getting enough points to stay in this poor division.

Not sure that I would say that I was ashamed by the sacking.

But being 22nd in the league and only two wins all league campaign leaves me ashamed

Lots of things about this club that leaves me ashamed especially in the past 24 hours.

A sentimental view of SOD. Based on the fact his sacking was unexpected, and came after a good performance.

The off-field changes at the club began under McInnes and SOD merely signed up to them.

Ultimately though, like all managers, he had to deliver the points - and he didn't.

The sacking left me - and thousands of other fans - hopeful.

I wrote on another thread that I have stronger feelings about whom I don't want as coach rather than whom I do. I'm undecided about Tisdale because I know little about him BUT it's a bit daft to say that you'd prefer someone from the Downs League over him. Let's try to remain balanced here and avoid hyperbole (as I've said a million times).

You'd have thought they must have had somebody lined up, given the weird timing, but apparently not. Is there no beginning to this Board's talent?

If we were in so much of a crisis and it was such an emergency that we sack O'Driscoll you would have thought it would be an emergency to have a replacement? But no..

Unless we genuinely believe that we have a better chance of victory tomorrow without a manager? In which case you have to wonder why we ever bother having one?

I honestly thought that ODriscoll was here for the long haul and I was convinced that he would have turned things around. The improvement signs were definitely there in recent games but once again the board lack conviction of their own decision to employ him in the first place.

It was a panic sacking IMO.

They've done it twice before. Millen was sacked prematurely and the next manager failed before he was sacked so what makes the board think that changing the manager again will improve our lot?

I don't feel ashamed of out club but I am seriously disappointed and let down the board who I feel should have stood by ODriscoll.

Yes - this is what a lot of us have been saying on here since yesterday's shock news.   

BTW - I only just saw the mistake that led to Orient go 2-1 up on Tuesday on Youtube.... that's as bad a goalie's error that I can remember ever seeing at the Gate and to think the manager loses his job because of that?   If we'd have beaten one of the top teams that evening, would they still have fired him?  I don't think so.   Goes to show what an awful decision it was - down to a schoolboy goalkeeping mistake.

Yes I know the SOD haters will be on saying 2 wins in 18 or whatever but,  face up, without that mistake SOD would still be in his job today.

I just felt that the results were starting to turn.

SOD had stated that he wanted to make us hard to beat- Then look at the style of play. 

We became hard to beat (yes mostly draws) losing 1 in 6 games and `then in the next game we played a better brand of football against the (at the time) top team in the division and should have won.

Yes the table doesn't lie- But we are currently 6 points off mid table and I felt we were starting to get our act together.

I just felt that the results were starting to turn.

SOD had stated that he wanted to make us hard to beat- Then look at the style of play.

We became hard to beat (yes mostly draws) losing 1 in 6 games and `then in the next game we played a better brand of football against the (at the time) top team in the division and should have won.

Yes the table doesn't lie- But we are currently 6 points off mid table and I felt we were starting to get our act together.

The utterly dire Sheffield Utd didn't find us hard to beat.

I honestly thought that ODriscoll was here for the long haul and I was convinced that he would have turned things around. The improvement signs were definitely there in recent games but once again the board lack conviction of their own decision to employ him in the first place.

They've done it twice before. Millen was sacked prematurely and the next manager failed before he was sacked so what makes the board think that changing the manager again will improve our lot?

I don't feel ashamed of out club but I am seriously disappointed and let down the board who I feel should have stood by ODriscoll.

You must of missed the Sheffield United game or not looked at the league table

Fully justified

The board have let us down by not learning from their past mistakes and contradicting everything they previously said about stability. Off the field we are a compete mess and our chances of suffering relegation are now higher than ever. By the amount of fans angered by the decision and the fact Sean had the players support (something that is a rarity nowadays, especially when a team is struggling near the foot of the table) just goes to show that it was completely the wrong decision.

I do feel ashamed due to the actions of the board. I'm more disillusioned than I've ever been after yesterday.

Spot on about lacking conviction. They bought him in to fulfill their own long term plan and bottled it when the going got tough, to appease the vocal minority.

To tell your own fans to back the manager for the long haul then sack him what - 3 months into his first season with his own recruits - the board haven't got a pair of stones between them.

SO'D was a truly decent and intelligent man.  Clearly the players and staff thought highly of his abilities.  Maybe the board did not think that he was exciting enough.  I broadly agree with the article - I feel that this was a hasty decision at time when things were starting to improve.  It is entirely possible that the new man may not be much of an improvement judging by past appointments - and if so, this will have been an expensive distraction.  I wish SO'D well in his future career and think he is a better man than those who sacked him.

The utterly dire Sheffield Utd didn't find us hard to beat.

Yes- an OG in the last 15 was their game plan all along. As was getting the ref to disallow a perfectly good goal.

I'm not saying it wasn't dire. I'm not saying it was perfect. But for the last 7 games we have been hard to beat and results had picked up.

Spot on about lacking conviction. They bought him in to fulfill their own long term plan and bottled it when the going got tough, to appease the vocal minority.

To tell your own fans to back the manager for the long haul then sack him what - 3 months into his first season with his own recruits - the board haven't got a pair of stones between them.

The long-term plan wasn't for him to oversee two relegations, which is what they thought would happen if they didn't act.

As for "after 3 months" (4 actually) - you can't just discount last season.. Yes, the club was a mess when he came in but it actually got WORSE. I've seen this club relegated many times before, but I've never seen a tamer capitulation. And to think when SOD was appointed many of us though we could stay up.

On the non-football forum there have been various bods lining-up to denounce the blind

faith of the religious. How ironic that some of those posters are on this forum, stating as fact that O'Driscoll would have kept us up !

You must of missed the Sheffield United game or not looked at the league table

Fully justified

One defeat in 7 games and that loss to an og which was the Blades only goal attempt all game, plus City having a good goal disallowed. It wasn't pretty to watch but nevertheless it was defeat. The goalkeeping error against Orient probably cost ODriscoll his job.

Yes- an OG in the last 15 was their game plan all along. As was getting the ref to disallow a perfectly good goal.

I'm not saying it wasn't dire. I'm not saying it was perfect. But for the last 7 games we have been hard to beat and results had picked up.

Goalmouth bundles over the line are - rightly or wrongly - rarely given.

If we'd set up more aggresively instead of leaving it too late, we'd have won.

And yes, it was Sheffield's plan to put men behind the ball and hit us on the. break

Archived