IGNORED

Board Representation

Jordan Tansley

Like many 'rank and file supporters' I'm a shareholder too.

This isn't about SC or us accepting him, it's about the way the club is run at a corporate and strategic level.

Agree. Maybe it's worth taking a look at Swansea and what they've achieved with an open, honest Chairman and the supporters owning 20% of the club?

If ever there's a time for the supporters to be pushing for a new corporate and football based strategy it's now.

How best to achieve it though with someone like SL at the helm, God only knows?

It's bizarre.

Surely someone raised the question of how the no-show would be perceived? And the answer was "who cares?"

If you bash the heads of the board together I wonder what sound it makes.

Whatever business you run you have to ask yourself "how will this be viewed by our customers"

Just a point about no member of the board being at the 'presentation'... JL and Dawe were both their.

They stood at the back of the room with others watching the proceedings.

Dawe apparently got tangled up in microphone leads and almost came a cropper.

A reporter mentioned that he was disappointed they didn't offer more one on one interviews after the initial introduction.

A bit of a PR let down again in my book.

Tangled up in microphone leads? Maybe he wasn't sure what they were? Had little need for a them in the past.

Certainly a coherent argument/position Harry.

I guess I am underwhelmed by the appointment, but I support the club.

The players, managers etc get my support on effort and progress.

I agree with you that SC would have been a great appointment after his success at Cheltenham (I know a couple of fans who talk about him as good like.. But even they admit the football was often uninspiring to watch). I can see that a stint of grafting could help us in the short term, but really hoped we would try to stay the course and not head for port at the first sign of waves.

Really hope things will work out, and was interested in your view as you always seem to be able to give good views that cut through the emotion more than most posters.

Some very fair points there JT.

1) Indeed.  It seems an incredible shift in strategy.  Financial Prudence is 1 Pillar.  This doesn't seem to resonate with that?

2) Indeed.  The rhetoric was that there was a change in philosophy at the football club, a new way of thinking.  De-coupling the responsibilities of the Manager, he would now act as Head Coach, with the only responsibility being the coaching of the 1st team.  So are we now reverting back to the 'old' philosophy?  Does SC have more responsibilities than SOD had?  Or was there another reason for the 'Head Coach' title?  Was there something SOD was not sufficiently 'qualified' to perform, or didn't want to perform?  Again, it's a baffling shift in strategy.

3) They've certainly acted quickly here, which would suggest they were either performing their 'due diligence' a long time before SOD was sacked or they've rushed the appointment.  Considering our ghostly Chairman, Mr Dawe, has his background in recruitment, you think he'd understand the importance of a correct application process and speaking to as many candidates as possible to ascertain the right man for the job.  For what it's worth, I'd heard a couple of weeks ago that SC was being considered, so it seems they have done their 'research'.  So why not just be honest with us all and say they'd "had their eye on SC's situation having previously admired him and thought the time was right to give him a shot".  We'd all respect that a bit more than the "kicking the tyres" approach!  Just be bloody honest with us - at least try to get the fans back on-side.

4) There were no other candidates.  Hence, as above, why not just be honest with us.

5) SC has quoted that they are not "close personal friends", which isn't a lie.  They may not be "close personal friends" but they certainly know each other.  Has this had a bearing on the appointment - damn right!

6) If this doesn't work out this time, then we are in deep s***.  I'd imagine the 'current' board would not have to answer to us as they'd have been replaced by a new board.  SL will always own the club, that won't change, but Dawe, Harmon, JL and Arathoon will not be allowed to continue to run the club if they persist with failure.

John Pelling has recently been brought in from Forest as Finance Director.  Don't be surprised to see him on the board sometime soon.  Do you know what I'd do - promote Amy Kington to the board.  She's the most enthusiastic and energetic person at the club and communicates more effectively than the rest of the board put together.  I'd be happy to see her as the 'face' of the board and she would carry herself very professionally.

Can't disagree with any of that Harry, as always. It's the lack of honesty that's really grabbing my goat so to speak. It's getting to the stage that I think they're being deliberately rude. Nobody could genuinely have that few people skills could they?

It's bizarre.

Surely someone raised the question of how the no-show would be perceived? And the answer was "who cares?"

If you bash the heads of the board together I wonder what sound it makes.

Whatever business you run you have to ask yourself "how will this be viewed by our customers"

A hollow one, most likely!

Any joy on receiving a further response (aside from the original email from DL) Jordan?

Are any journalists picking these questions up and planning to get some answers?

No reply from Stockhausen, no further reply from DL either. Feel free to forward the link to any members of the Press 

I think they've all been answered in various articles or interviews haven't they ?

Not in my opinion, unless I've missed them? Then again, maybe I'm naive in expecting more of an explanation and understanding of their thinking from our board about the major decision they've just made?

Be interested to hear more on the top 3 in particular.

There are a number of questions that absolutely need answering by members of our board room. To not take part in the introduction of Cotterill was just about the most cowardly thing I've seen from these chancers.

1) After the pronouncements about the end of expensive long term deals for managers what justification can there be for such a long contract being handed to a manager who epitomises the term 'journeyman'? 

Not heard the reasoning behind the length of contract and the apparent shift in policy they've undertaken.

2) Cotterill now holds the position of Manager, despite the rhetoric when SOD was appointed. A detailed explanation of this change in direction is required?

Again, despite a quite frankly embarrassingly amateur YouTube  interview from JL that seems to fundamentally contradict previous statements related to this position, then no.

3) Can the fans actually trust anything that comes from the lips of the unelected leaders of this club? Due diligence and a patient and thorough recruitment process? One man interviewed (No, approached and given the job)?

Clearly not, think this one answers itself though. Why the need to openly lie to supporters unless it's to cover up for a definite lack of due diligence? They should be tackled as to why continued false statements are being made.

4) Who were the other applicants, did you even consider looking through them? If so, what does Cotterill have that makes him the best candidate?

5) What precisely is the nature of KD and SC's relationship and did it have any baring on the employment of SC?

6) If this does not work out will the board take responsibility for their continued ineptitude and incompetence?

Hey Fiale,

My views have shifted probably as much as the board's strategy!!!

10 years ago, I actually quite liked the idea of Cotterill at BCFC.  I thought that his record at Cheltenham was fantastic and that he was building himself a reputation as a good young manager who was capable of getting more than the sum of their parts from his players.

Over the following years my views have been tainted by what can only be described as pretty darn ugly football.

Last week, I was still very much in the No camp (no not Barcelona!!).

But here's where I am now :

I think Cotterill is right - we do need a short-term fix right now.  I honestly thought SOD would eventually get us the required results, but now that he's gone, I have to think of the NOW.  Right now, appointing anyone is going to bring upheaval, and right now is not the time to rely upon a Strategy (i.e. The Pillars) which is still in it's infancy and will take a while yet to come to fruition.  The work on this CAN still progress, and I'm sure Cotterill will not be around in a few years time when the club is much more financially sustainable and is producing quality academy products on a more regular basis.

What I foresee Cotterill bringing in immediately is high tempo, high pressing football, as well as discipline and taking no prisoners.  Maybe, just maybe, that might be what we need over the next few months to survive in this division.  It ain't gonna be pretty but it might (I repeat might) be effective.

It's not what I want in the long term, but I'm willing to put up with it if it keeps us in League 1.

We might delude ourselves over the years in thinking as BCFC as a 'passing' team.  My best memories of City are the 89/90 promotion season - we had 2 wingers pinging in crosses all day long, 2 big lads heading them in all day long and 2 centre mids who could both pass a bit but both tackle a lot.  That team, to my memory, were not a 'passing' and 'possession' team - they were direct (in terms of balls into the box, not 'long' balls).

If Cotterill can come anywhere close to replicating that sort of entertainment at the Gate then I'm all for it.  However, I will completely reserve my judgement on that and whether he is capable of this style.

What I will give him, as I give all managers, is time.  I will only judge him on what I witness.  I don't care what Forest fans have to say, that's history.  I will welcome him to BCFC and ask him to look after the good ship.  If I see failings, I will call them out.  If I see success I will hail.  I'm not overly enamoured with the appointment, but having removed SOD, we've left ourselves with no choice but to put in a rescue plan.  I'm willing to let Cotterill show me his rescue plan and will judge him after a fair amount of time.

Again exactly the way I see it, survival has to be the goal and passing game the holy grail once the foundations are in place and perhaps that was the problem with SOD's approach too much too soon with a squad of players that weren't up to it, whether SC is up to either part of challenge is anybody's guess but survival has to be the only priority in town at the moment.

Questions and answers from the board are fine and dandy, but I suspect a lot of people will still make their own minds up about that whatever is said in response.

The soap opera continues.

We might delude ourselves over the years in thinking as BCFC as a 'passing' team.  My best memories of City are the 89/90 promotion season - we had 2 wingers pinging in crosses all day long, 2 big lads heading them in all day long and 2 centre mids who could both pass a bit but both tackle a lot.  That team, to my memory, were not a 'passing' and 'possession' team - they were direct (in terms of balls into the box, not 'long' balls).

If Cotterill can come anywhere close to replicating that sort of entertainment at the Gate then I'm all for it.  However, I will completely reserve my judgement on that and whether he is capable of this style.

I get what you are saying, however the style of football as it were in those days were very much a play out to the wingman. Football has evolved in the last 20 years undoubtedly, SOD made a mess with trying to get the long ball across IMO hence why it took passing along the back four to switch the side. 9/10 the opposition had a beefy centre back which would ping the ball back almost to a striker in our half. Even if we kept our passing purely along the ground and direct at this point in time, we would have a better chance at build up play and everyone can muck in to help out with options.

• Admin

When you consider the steps the board have taken in supporting the Supporters Parliment etc and giving the supporters a link to the club spo they have a voice I believe they should be commended.

Now I know you are out of touch!

The fans parliament is the latest in a long running saga of waste of times at the club!

Like many have said before, these people VOLUNTEERED, nobody voted them in, so who do they actually represent? Themselves, those sat around them?

I couldn't tell you who the rep is for my stand and they have certainly never approached me for any views to take to the FP.

But then we are told that anyone can attend the FP so why have reps in the first place?

Anyway very random and off topic

Just saw that and my first thought was what an horrific carpet that is!

Mine was how few people were there! Years ago, I was at a press call for the appointment of Ian Branfoot at Soton and as you might expect at a Premiership club, there were about 150 people milling about.

That is the brillaint 'Harry's Bar' in the DEH.

The funny thing is I've never noticed the carpet look that bad before

Did anyone notice how crap the top table looked also?

Somebody draped a black cloth over a table which was all bunched up and creased with the microphones on it, and then they blue-tacced a City scarf to the front of the table - didn't look very professional to me. 

City have portrayed themselves a lot better in the past - maybe it's a sign of the way things are at the moment.

Just a point about no member of the board being at the 'presentation'... JL and Dawe were both their.

A reporter mentioned that he was disappointed they didn't offer more one on one interviews after the initial introduction.

They didn't want answer difficult questions obviously. Its been embarrassing to be honest. I tweeted JL asking him why the board didn't deem it necessary to be at the press conference. surprise surprise i didn't get an answer. 

Good luck getting answers on those JT - but absolutely the questions we should be asking

I have tweeted the club to ask about board representation at the PC, as have others I suspect. Will be interesting to see if we get an answer. Someone asked the club if the OS could have a list of board members, their roles etc etc last night, he was asked why he wanted to know this....strike anyone else as an odd response?

I was the one who asked Adam Baker about publicising the profiles of the board members. I haven't heard anymore on this since the initial response, which I will put down to the fact that it must have been a very busy couple of days for Adam. For what it's worth, here's my opinion...

I bought into the 5 pillars strategy. At the time, it made a lot of sense. Had it not been for the events of the past week, it would sort of still make sense. The reason I say sort of is because it has become increasingly apparent that there is something missing. A strategy is not a destination, it is not a vision, it is not the objective. A strategy is the method of achieving that vision. I'm not clear on what our vision is, nor perhaps more importantly what timeframe we are working to. How do we know therefore whether the strategy is successful? How/when is progress measured?

Our current league position is unacceptable, we all know that, yet individually every pillar of the strategy was being implemented successfully (except possibly talent recruitment which wasn't even SODs job?) So is the strategy wrong? Or is our position in the league solely the responsibility of our previous head coach? How was this assessed? Whatever the answer, recent decisions by the board seemingly disregard the patience they asked fans to show. They disregard financial prudence. They disregard the staff structure when JL was so vocal about the role of head coach within the club hierarchy.

So, my reason for asking for more information about the board members was to address the issue that, with this latest turn of events, they have alienated a large percentage of the fan base. They are invisible, seem disinterested, seem disorganised and some might say incompetent. Apart from the visibility, the rest is subjective. Yet the overriding issue is one of accountability. The board cannot continue to place accountability for the success of the whole club at the feet of the head coach. The lack of board representation at the SC press conference was further evidence that they are not addressing this fundamental issue.

I don't like to criticise without being constructive, so this was where my request to Adam Baker was leading. I think the board need to be far more transparent. Tell us who you are and what you bring to the table! Tell us what you want to deliver for the club and what you are doing to effect that change. I also think that a member of the board should each sponsor one of the five pillars. This would align our boardroom structure with the strategy and address the issue of accountability. The Chairman needs to lead the whole thing. He needs to be the glue that ensures the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. He needs to stand up, speak up and lead from the top. If he's not prepared to do that, we need somebody competent who can. (SL - that bit was for your attention). Let's be a bit radical and set ourselves some tangible targets, not just in terms of league positions but across each of the pillars. Then.... when it all works and we are back in the Championship, with 7 of our first team having come through the academy, all playing in an improved stadium, we'll know who deserves the pat on the back. If it doesn't work.... well...

Did he say "D'oh"? You really couldn't make it up, could you? :doh:

Mine was how few people were there! Years ago, I was at a press call for the appointment of Ian Branfoot at Soton and as you might expect at a Premier League club, there were about 150 people milling about.

Im afraid this is lower league football now and its dieing a death, its just not fasionable or news worthy anymore.  :sad26:

JT.......... I acknowledge your passion its something that is lacking now in supporters and football in general,but I cant help thinking you are on a crusade.

In a way I think JL did the right thing in letting SC answer the questions if he would have been available the "attention" would have been on him and not our new manager. 

As you are more than aware Im a great believer in the Manager taking ownership for the issues (something youve slated me for) surrounding the club and perhaps this was JL's slant too ? 

Right or wrong, time will tell, a similar stance I took with you last year :thumbsup:  

What a load of tripe.

Here is Mourniho being unveiled as Chelsea manager. Oh my god where was the chairman, there was the press officer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOl1lDK7V60

Who cares about his contract length ? What is it to you, or any fan. You don't know what clauses there are, and if he gets fired, you know who will pay for it

Manager ?of the first team yes, recruitment is handled by Keith Burt. Nothing changes. He will spend more time talking with players than coaching, he will have learnt a lot at QPR with Harry on that score.

Unelected leaders. Are you for real. What private business elects directors. Nothing to do with anyone here. They put in the money, they buy part of the club, end of. Unelected leaders indeed. Where do you make it up.

Everyone saw the potential applicants list, it seemed on here that none of them would have seen as an a great appointment. SC is know to the owners and to Keith Burt. Clearly they felt he was the right man for our current circumstance. It is hardly difficult to work out. They don't have to explain anymore than that. I am sure having knowledge of SC had bearing on him getting the job. Goes on every day in real life. Did I jump for joy, no, but equally what else can we expect when facing a double relegation.

What responsibility would like the board to take if it does not work out ? Did SL fold the club ? no. He could have done easily, a number of times, and walked away. That he has stuck to it, made significant moves to change to the weaknesses of scouting, coaching and academy seems to me to suggest that a new approach is being taken, That he will still bankroll an updated stadium to assist the income potential of the club, suggests also he is not a quitter.

I have no idea if SC is the man for the job, I wish we were higher up the league, and winning games playing great football. But I do know that the club provides endless opportunity to interact with fans, has improved community involvement no end. Fans get listened too on many many occasions. That the club has problems is damn obvious, but to think that just as you support the club you have gained any superior right to "answers" to non questions is fantasy. It is a sport, it is entertainment,it is business, if you don't like it, you are within your right, not to pay money, and not come. That is your right. If you want more than that, and think you can do better, then you need to buy the club. Do you think there are people lining up to buy BCFC ? Do you think someone will come in and build a new stadium ? If you can find someone tell SL, as I am sure he would stand aside.

The only answers I want as a fan, is that when SC has looked at the side, the players, that he finds out how to start winning some games. The only thing that has depressed me this week is threads like this, ill informed , fantasy land tripe.

So . lets assume you have now bought out Sl. Taken the club on. Just what is your magic formula ? Maybe you have some fantastic ideas, maybe the club is missing something, and maybe some innovative thinking could uncover some secrets of success. Of course, like on a video game, that is rather easy to do, when you start working in the harsh realities of pro sport, in a City that is not renowned for football success, with no cheques to write from your bank account, with no fans to boo you and call you names , with results that are not real, it is all rather easy.

Why don't you ask to join a training session with SC ?

Way to ruin the harmony.

Archived