IGNORED

Board Representation

Jordan Tansley

So just consider the opposite scenario to the one where the board has thought about this in advance, acted decisively and got a manager in quickly to address the current league position and assess ahead of the transfer window opening. That is they take weeks and weeks to work through applications losing several shortlisted candidates to rival offers. Eventually appoints manager but transfer window time narrowing snd meanwhile ecit cup and fall deeper into relegation zone. ... you get the picture.

Fact is a lot of people are fed up with the boring play and crap results and would moan at whatever happened next. Demanding justification from the board is a pointless process. Its simply about getting back to entertaining and winning football really urgently. Until then, anything anyone does is wrong and bound to be damned.

In fairness, you do make some good points. In the current mood, it's true that everything the club says and does is likely to be viewed with suspicion and seen in a negative light. That said, there are legitimate reasons for the lack of trust and confidence. The counter argument would be that due diligence really doesn't have take "weeks and weeks".

I'd like to adopt your positive take on things, but ultimately the glaring lack of professionalism on the part of the board persuades me otherwise. What worries me, among other things, is the corrosive effect all this has on the club's standing in the industry. When SOD came here, he commented on the extent to which the club was respected by its peers. We used to be a club that gave its managers time to succeed. I think it will take a long time to rebuild that reputation after what's happened recently.

Although according to some, I'm the board's cheerleader in chief, i actually agree with a lot of what JT's written here:

There are a number of questions that absolutely need answering by members of our board room. To not take part in the introduction of Cotterill was just about the most cowardly thing I've seen from these chancers.  I find the lack of board comment baffling

1) After the pronouncements about the end of expensive long term deals for managers what justification can there be for such a long contract being handed to a manager who epitomises the term 'journeyman'? Dunno about journeyman, but yes, long-term deals should have been a thing of the past. If there is a relegation get-out clause or a reduced compensation clause, we, as fans should know it. As it is, it looks like very bad business and expensive trouble ahead.

2) Cotterill now holds the position of Manager, despite the rhetoric when SOD was appointed. A detailed explanation of this change in direction is required? I think this is just semantics TBH. call him what you want, SOD was effectively our manager.

3) Can the fans actually trust anything that comes from the lips of the unelected leaders of this club? Due diligence and a patient and thorough recruitment process? One man interviewed (No, approached and given the job)? I too would like an answer to this

4) Who were the other applicants, did you even consider looking through them? If so, what does Cotterill have that makes him the best candidate? And this...

5) What precisely is the nature of KD and SC's relationship and did it have any baring on the employment of SC? And this. 

6) If this does not work out will the board take responsibility for their continued ineptitude and incompetence? Surely they must!  Any appointment is a gamble. there is no such thing as certs, in football. However the way this one was made would call the competence of the board into question, were things to go wrong.

Cliff - never was this more appropriate (except perhaps on the days when Tinnion and Millen were appointed!)

"... he beheld the city, and wept..."

Too true, mate.

(Actually, it's ironic I've got a biblical quote at the bottom of my posts, as I haven't got a religious bone in my body, but it seemed so apt. It comes from my childhood. The barber was cutting my hair when I was a small boy and he knew my Dad and I were City fans, so he worked this little wind-up on me by asking if I was aware that the team was mentioned in the Bible. When I looked uncomprehendingly at him, he adopted a sombre, preacher-like stance and voice and intoned "The Lord looked upon the City and wept". I must have been 6 or 7 at the time, but I never forgot it. Little did I know it would come in so handy in my sixties...

Nice one. The board really need to be brought to task and it's the local media's job to start asking some serious questions of them. We all need answers!

OOOhhhhh no sir... if the local press start pressing for answers they will all be shown the door. This sounds like a closing of ranks because they knew the announcement would go down in history as the most unpopular this club has made in perhaps a decade or more. Hiding to nothing. Not manning up though has even got me scratching my head.

OOOhhhhh no sir... if the local press start pressing for answers they will all be shown the door. This sounds like a closing of ranks because they knew the announcement would go down in history as the most unpopular this club has made in perhaps a decade or more. Hiding to nothing. Not manning up though has even got me scratching my head.

Well it's a sorry state of affairs isn't it. I'd have a lot more respect for local journalists if they asked these pressing questions rather than keep it all cosy with the club for risk of exposing the ineptitude of the people running it. Scratching my head doesn't cover how I feel about JL etc bottling the press conference. They could at least show they have confidence in their own decisions and front up to their supporters. After all, SC has stated the supporters are the most important part of the club - you'd like to think the board were in tune with that too. Clearly not.

As Nibor alluded to in another thread, I would actively support any movement to encourage Lansdown to sell the club. He and his board of directors have done enough damage, and it's time to move on. 

Good luck to Steve Cotterill, I didn't want him but I will support him and hope he achieves great things. The board, however, can do one.

Have continued to talk to DL, and he has given me his views. 

I appreciate them but they aren't those of the board and that is what I want. Much as DL's opinions are worth reading they aren't as important as finding out the truth on these issues.

Will he present his own views nonetheless in the public domain?

Have continued to talk to DL, and he has given me his views.

I appreciate them but they aren't those of the board and that is what I want. Much as DL's opinions are worth reading they aren't as important as finding out the truth on these issues.

Is this linkable.. Would like to see DLs views

Nvm. You have all ready replied

Is this linkable.. Would like to see DLs views

As I said, I won't be copying and pasting his response here as it was a private email, I'm sure he will see this and if he feels his views are worth posting here then he will.

I've got no issue with DL, he's a good honest bloke and is doing his job by replying to my personal email to him. I hope to see a response from those above him to these points but I do not hold my breath.

Agree with all, great post and mirrors the questions I, and no doubt many others have about the actions of our board.

Important that we do not let these questions fade away amidst the increasing noise this controversial appointment has created though.

As long time supporters of this club we should be demanding more respect and answers from the board than we are currently receiving. What is becoming abundantly clear is that this board has openly lied to the supporters in recent communications and has without question acted in a fashion that at best can be labelled unprofessional, at worst their actions indicate they are unfit for purpose.

At a critical time in our recent history, I feel angered and disappointed by their actions and worry for the future of our club. If the board feel they are above communicating their thinking and rationale behind their recent actions, above and beyond the pathetic and amatuer Jl YouTube interview, then they are behaving in a cowardly and disrespectful manner to the supporters of this club.

These questions deserve a response and we should all demand they get one by getting local journalists on board and continuing to keep this front and centre. Write to the club, take to twitter and link to this thread, but for those who feel strongly, lets not let it die with whimper.

We deserve more.

Jordan, I normally find your posting style condescending (it means a similar thing to 'patronising' ;-) )

Think you're pretty spot on here, however (not that what I think matters).

Think it's only a matter of time before there's a unanimous consensus that the board be made 'scapegoats'.

Problem is, what do you do?

He is welcome to, but I won't be copying and pasting them here. Call me old fashioned.

In short though he defended the club as is his job really, but he was kind enough to answer each point.

Sorry JT was aiming my question at DL but that wasn't clear. Of course I wouldn't expect or ask you to post a private discussion.

There are a number of questions that absolutely need answering by members of our board room. To not take part in the introduction of Cotterill was just about the most cowardly thing I've seen from these chancers.

1) After the pronouncements about the end of expensive long term deals for managers what justification can there be for such a long contract being handed to a manager who epitomises the term 'journeyman'? 

2) Cotterill now holds the position of Manager, despite the rhetoric when SOD was appointed. A detailed explanation of this change in direction is required?

3) Can the fans actually trust anything that comes from the lips of the unelected leaders of this club? Due diligence and a patient and thorough recruitment process? One man interviewed (No, approached and given the job)?

4) Who were the other applicants, did you even consider looking through them? If so, what does Cotterill have that makes him the best candidate?

5) What precisely is the nature of KD and SC's relationship and did it have any baring on the employment of SC?

6) If this does not work out will the board take responsibility for their continued ineptitude and incompetence?

Some very fair points there JT.

1) Indeed.  It seems an incredible shift in strategy.  Financial Prudence is 1 Pillar.  This doesn't seem to resonate with that?

2) Indeed.  The rhetoric was that there was a change in philosophy at the football club, a new way of thinking.  De-coupling the responsibilities of the Manager, he would now act as Head Coach, with the only responsibility being the coaching of the 1st team.  So are we now reverting back to the 'old' philosophy?  Does SC have more responsibilities than SOD had?  Or was there another reason for the 'Head Coach' title?  Was there something SOD was not sufficiently 'qualified' to perform, or didn't want to perform?  Again, it's a baffling shift in strategy.

3) They've certainly acted quickly here, which would suggest they were either performing their 'due diligence' a long time before SOD was sacked or they've rushed the appointment.  Considering our ghostly Chairman, Mr Dawe, has his background in recruitment, you think he'd understand the importance of a correct application process and speaking to as many candidates as possible to ascertain the right man for the job.  For what it's worth, I'd heard a couple of weeks ago that SC was being considered, so it seems they have done their 'research'.  So why not just be honest with us all and say they'd "had their eye on SC's situation having previously admired him and thought the time was right to give him a shot".  We'd all respect that a bit more than the "kicking the tyres" approach!  Just be bloody honest with us - at least try to get the fans back on-side.

4) There were no other candidates.  Hence, as above, why not just be honest with us.

5) SC has quoted that they are not "close personal friends", which isn't a lie.  They may not be "close personal friends" but they certainly know each other.  Has this had a bearing on the appointment - damn right!

6) If this doesn't work out this time, then we are in deep s***.  I'd imagine the 'current' board would not have to answer to us as they'd have been replaced by a new board.  SL will always own the club, that won't change, but Dawe, Harmon, JL and Arathoon will not be allowed to continue to run the club if they persist with failure.

John Pelling has recently been brought in from Forest as Finance Director.  Don't be surprised to see him on the board sometime soon.  Do you know what I'd do - promote Amy Kington to the board.  She's the most enthusiastic and energetic person at the club and communicates more effectively than the rest of the board put together.  I'd be happy to see her as the 'face' of the board and she would carry herself very professionally.

Sl tells the boy to get rid, boy throws a paddy and ducks out of p.c.simples really.

SL had no say in the decision to sack SOD, nor to appoint SC.

That no member of the board was present to welcome the new manager and introduce him to the assembled media is awful.

Almost as disrespectful as no member of the board traveling to Preston to represent our club - downright rude that is!

Edit - wanted to just add that you could be right about the paddy throwing though, as this is clearly Dawe's appointment, so why should JL be the one to stand up there and take the flak?  Perhaps our Ghostly Chairman should have made himself available to convince us all why he appointed HIS man.

SL had no say in the decision to sack SOD, nor to appoint SC.

That no member of the board was present to welcome the new manager and introduce him to the assembled media is awful.

Almost as disrespectful as no member of the board traveling to Preston to represent our club - downright rude that is!

Edit - wanted to just add that you could be right about the paddy throwing though, as this is clearly Dawe's appointment, so why should JL be the one to stand up there and take the flak? Perhaps our Ghostly Chairman should have made himself available to convince us all why he appointed HIS man.

Do you think it's s good appointment Harry, not really seen your views anywhere yet.

There are a number of questions that absolutely need answering by members of our board room. To not take part in the introduction of Cotterill was just about the most cowardly thing I've seen from these chancers.

1) After the pronouncements about the end of expensive long term deals for managers what justification can there be for such a long contract being handed to a manager who epitomises the term 'journeyman'? 

2) Cotterill now holds the position of Manager, despite the rhetoric when SOD was appointed. A detailed explanation of this change in direction is required?

3) Can the fans actually trust anything that comes from the lips of the unelected leaders of this club? Due diligence and a patient and thorough recruitment process? One man interviewed (No, approached and given the job)?

4) Who were the other applicants, did you even consider looking through them? If so, what does Cotterill have that makes him the best candidate?

5) What precisely is the nature of KD and SC's relationship and did it have any baring on the employment of SC?

6) If this does not work out will the board take responsibility for their continued ineptitude and incompetence?

JT - I don't always agree with you, but this post is spot on.

I've spoken to Dave L already, hopefully an answer from them as opposed to through him will be forth-coming. But yeah, I'll tweet him a link to this thread (Not that he usually needs help stealing ideas from here!!) ;)

You could also point out to him that this is about the only post in the last week on OTIB where there is just about unanimous agreement. And clearly strong feelings.

Count me out on the unanimous bit.

Shareholders may have the legitimate right to question how the board goes about its business, but I'm not so sure the rank and file supporters do.

Might be nice to be in the know on such matters, but the reality is they run the club and we pay to watch the footie.

Just my opinion of course but, however folk feel this has been handled, it's a done deal. Whether JL, KD, SL or one of the ground staff had the final say makes no difference.

Getting in to a bit of a lather about it seems a bit futile to me.

We either accept the new manager and continue to go through the turnstiles, or we don't.

Count me out on the unanimous bit.

Shareholders may have the legitimate right to question how the board goes about its business, but I'm not so sure the rank and file supporters do.

Might be nice to be in the know on such matters, but the reality is they run the club and we pay to watch the footie.

Just my opinion of course but, however folk feel this has been handled, it's a done deal. Whether JL, KD, SL or one of the ground staff had the final say makes no difference.

Getting in to a bit of a lather about it seems a bit futile to me.

We either accept the new manager and continue to go through the turnstiles, or we don't.

Like many 'rank and file supporters' I'm a shareholder too.

This isn't about SC or us accepting him, it's about the way the club is run at a corporate and strategic level.

Do you think it's s good appointment Harry, not really seen your views anywhere yet.

Hey Fiale,

My views have shifted probably as much as the board's strategy!!!

10 years ago, I actually quite liked the idea of Cotterill at BCFC.  I thought that his record at Cheltenham was fantastic and that he was building himself a reputation as a good young manager who was capable of getting more than the sum of their parts from his players.

Over the following years my views have been tainted by what can only be described as pretty darn ugly football.

Last week, I was still very much in the No camp (no not Barcelona!!).

But here's where I am now :

I think Cotterill is right - we do need a short-term fix right now.  I honestly thought SOD would eventually get us the required results, but now that he's gone, I have to think of the NOW.  Right now, appointing anyone is going to bring upheaval, and right now is not the time to rely upon a Strategy (i.e. The Pillars) which is still in it's infancy and will take a while yet to come to fruition.  The work on this CAN still progress, and I'm sure Cotterill will not be around in a few years time when the club is much more financially sustainable and is producing quality academy products on a more regular basis.

What I foresee Cotterill bringing in immediately is high tempo, high pressing football, as well as discipline and taking no prisoners.  Maybe, just maybe, that might be what we need over the next few months to survive in this division.  It ain't gonna be pretty but it might (I repeat might) be effective.

It's not what I want in the long term, but I'm willing to put up with it if it keeps us in League 1.

We might delude ourselves over the years in thinking as BCFC as a 'passing' team.  My best memories of City are the 89/90 promotion season - we had 2 wingers pinging in crosses all day long, 2 big lads heading them in all day long and 2 centre mids who could both pass a bit but both tackle a lot.  That team, to my memory, were not a 'passing' and 'possession' team - they were direct (in terms of balls into the box, not 'long' balls).

If Cotterill can come anywhere close to replicating that sort of entertainment at the Gate then I'm all for it.  However, I will completely reserve my judgement on that and whether he is capable of this style.

What I will give him, as I give all managers, is time.  I will only judge him on what I witness.  I don't care what Forest fans have to say, that's history.  I will welcome him to BCFC and ask him to look after the good ship.  If I see failings, I will call them out.  If I see success I will hail.  I'm not overly enamoured with the appointment, but having removed SOD, we've left ourselves with no choice but to put in a rescue plan.  I'm willing to let Cotterill show me his rescue plan and will judge him after a fair amount of time.

Just a point about no member of the board being at the 'presentation'... JL and Dawe were both their.

They stood at the back of the room with others watching the proceedings.

Dawe apparently got tangled up in microphone leads and almost came a cropper.

A reporter mentioned that he was disappointed they didn't offer more one on one interviews after the initial introduction.

A bit of a PR let down again in my book.

Archived