IGNORED

We Turned Down Moyes When We Appointed Pullis..who Are We Missing Out On This Time?

maxjak

Once upon a time in the strange & mysterious land of Ashton Gate,  we appointed as manager a balding welshman who turned out to be none too popular.  The story goes,  that at that time a young flame haired scotsman was keen to try his luck with us...........but in the deep dark recesses of the boardroom something stirred, Gaseous fumes prevailed,  and that young prince now finds himself, on this very night, bestriding the hallowed kingdom of Old Trafford.  Now wisdom dictates that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat their mistakes....so I was wondering, seeing as we have just appointed a none too democratic choice to manage our beloved club.........which young up and coming manager will we regret (in the course of time) not approaching.  Its probably a little early for Mr Johnson Jnr, but you get the gist.

Once upon a time in the strange & mysterious land of Ashton Gate,  we appointed as manager a balding welshman who turned out to be none too popular.  The story goes,  that at that time a young flame haired scotsman was keen to try his luck with us...........but in the deep dark recesses of the boardroom something stirred, Gaseous fumes prevailed,  and that young prince now finds himself, on this very night, bestriding the hallowed kingdom of Old Trafford.  Now wisdom dictates that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat their mistakes....so I was wondering, seeing as we have just appointed a none too democratic choice to manage our beloved club.........which young up and coming manager will we regret (in the course of time) not approaching.  Its probably a little early for Mr Johnson Jnr, but you get the gist.

Sack Lansdown!  Oh no, hang on, he wasn't in charge at that point.  :ph34r:

Think of poor David! Managing Manchester United when he could have been managing Bristol City. He must be gutted :(

Never mind poor Moysie being gutted, I'm GUTTED. I hate threads like this, they upset me too much. I'm going to delete it!

Never mind poor Moysie being gutted, I'm GUTTED. I hate threads like this, they upset me too much. I'm going to delete it!

Sorry I'm a masochist..I thought I could increase my level of depression by wallowing in our past blunders (plenty to choose from).........feel free to delete at your leisure

Sorry I'm a masochist..I thought I could increase my level of depression by wallowing in our past blunders (plenty to choose from).........feel free to delete at your leisure

You've put thoughts of him in my head, I'm off to trawl the interweb for images of him looking mean and moody. That's my evening sorted!

No but wasn't SL on the Board and in league with Laycock who plumped for Pulis or has my memory failed me again.

other way round.

David Moyes turned down Scott Davidson. at that time PNE were a stronger club.

I'm pretty sure he was set to join us, flew back early from his holiday in Florida only to find out SteveL had the casting vote and went for Pulis ( sob).

EDIT, just found this post by Alex#40:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

Having attended the 25th Anniversary Dinner for winning the Frieght Rover Cup last night David Moyes stood up with Richard Latham and told the story of how he was almost Bristol City manager.

Moyes said he met with the City board in a hotel in Stoke and agree in principle to becoming the next City manager before taking a break. He said he was on a flight back to the UK to do the deal and be officially introduced when he got a call saying don't bother we've hired Tony Pulis. Pulis lasted 6 awful months and Moyes went on to be the 3rd longest serving manager in the Premier League.

Oh what might have been!

I think the casting vote was John Laycock, if I recall correctly, he wasn't at the meeting but had signalled his intention to choose Pulis.

Much as I despise him, he actually had a much better record than Moyes at the time.

other way round.

David Moyes turned down Scott Davidson. at that time PNE were a stronger club.

This is incorrect from the way I heard it...

Can't remember the make up of the board at the time, but is was a split board.

Bob Neale, John Clapp were pro Moyes, Lansdown and other were pro Pulis..

Scott Davidson had casting vote and his vote went to the "money men" on the board to keep harmony.

Also, Moyes was ready to leave PNE for Bristol City. At the time I was told it was the only club Moyes would've left PNE for

Scott Davidson had casting vote and his vote went to the "money men" on the board to keep harmony.

Also, Moyes was ready to leave PNE for Bristol City. At the time I was told it was the only club Moyes would've left PNE for

This all has the makings of "urban myth" about it ....

that's interesting. I always thought that it was Scott Davidson that wanted Moyes. interesting to now here he capitulated to the "money".

that's interesting. I always thought that it was Scott Davidson that wanted Moyes. interesting to now here he capitulated to the "money".

Correct.

He wanted Moyes.

But having got Lansdown onto the board, he felt he should go with the big mens decision.

He did and tried his hardest to get him. Unfortunately Moysie kept saying no. SD gave up and the day Pulis was offered the job SD had a call from Moysie saying "oh go on then". Told to me by SD himself at the AshtonGate8 dinner. As he is no longer a director of BCFC maybe some on here will believe him?

Don't worry the way things are going Moyes will be available again soon.

They have lost the fear factor, I can't wait to get to work tomorrow because I work with a 30 year old lad who is a Man U fan. All he has ever known is the satellite league, Sir Alex and Man Utd winning trophies. He's now in for a life of misery. Just like most football fans. 

They have lost the fear factor, I can't wait to get to work tomorrow because I work with a 30 year old lad who is a Man U fan. All he has ever known is the satellite league, Sir Alex and Man Utd winning trophies. He's now in for a life of misery. Just like most football fans.

Great isn't it?

Probably get about half as many dubious penalties in future since Ferguson isn't there to bully and intimidate refs, too.

He did and tried his hardest to get him. Unfortunately Moysie kept saying no. SD gave up and the day Pulis was offered the job SD had a call from Moysie saying "oh go on then". Told to me by SD himself at the AshtonGate8 dinner. As he is no longer a director of BCFC maybe some on here will believe him?

from everyone's comments This is the closest to my understanding of it. However I have no doubt that Scott Davidson would have consulted and capitulated to Steve Landsdown because of his money.

Archived