IGNORED

World Cup Draw. Match Thread

myol'man

We can beat any of those teams. Italy from what I saw in the Euros against us were nothing special and we kept them to limited chances.

Uraguay are a decent side. They have Suarez and Cavani but not a lot else, I expect us to beat them.

Costa Rica.. If we can't beat them then there's no hope for the other two.

All in all, could of had a better group but it's all very much in the balance. I'm confident England can qualify to the next stage

I see our group as more positive than negative.

Firstly, realistically, we are not going to win the World Cup in 2014; Whether we got an easy group, or a hard group. In our group, we have two sides in Uruguay and Italy, who are two better sides than us. What shame would we have, if we went out, absoloutly nothing to lose, attacked and played positive football, and maybe picked up 4 points against these two sides?

Costa Rica is seen as a game that we SHOULD win, but a potential banana skin. This is a game we realisticly should be looking to win, and can't see them picking up any points in our Group.

Every 4 years, we go into the World Cup, with roughly the same group of players, some playing in their last tournament, what would be the problem in sticking in half a squad of youngsters, and just having a pop at the games with have, with nothing to lose?

English football has been going the same way for years and years, surely, after 47 years of no victory in any World Cup, would be the problem, in trying something new, bringing half a squad of young and up coming players, and trying to change something?

Personally, I think if we went out there, didn't even make it out of the group, but went down with a fight, and gave some young players some experience, and building for future success, I would be happy to see that,

Thoughts?

• Admin

I see our group as more positive than negative.

Firstly, realistically, we are not going to win the World Cup in 2014; Whether we got an easy group, or a hard group. In our group, we have two sides in Uruguay and Italy, who are two better sides than us. What shame would we have, if we went out, absoloutly nothing to lose, attacked and played positive football, and maybe picked up 4 points against these two sides?

Costa Rica is seen as a game that we SHOULD win, but a potential banana skin. This is a game we realisticly should be looking to win, and can't see them picking up any points in our Group.

Every 4 years, we go into the World Cup, with roughly the same group of players, some playing in their last tournament, what would be the problem in sticking in half a squad of youngsters, and just having a pop at the games with have, with nothing to lose?

English football has been going the same way for years and years, surely, after 47 years of no victory in any World Cup, would be the problem, in trying something new, bringing half a squad of young and up coming players, and trying to change something?

Personally, I think if we went out there, didn't even make it out of the group, but went down with a fight, and gave some young players some experience, and building for future success, I would be happy to see that,

Thoughts?

Assuming the 3 of us beat Costa Rica, 2 draws against Uruguay & Italy may see us through. We don't often lose at WC finals, usually going out after a draw.

Assuming the 3 of us beat Costa Rica, 2 draws against Uruguay & Italy may see us through. We don't often lose at WC finals, usually going out after a draw.

This assumes we score a hatful against a crap team, something we are notoriously bad at :(

I actually think it's an okay if not good draw.

Italy first has stalemate written all over it. Neither side will want to over do it in the first game and both would take a point initially.

Costa Rica we should be looking to build a decent goal difference. Win by a couple has to be the aim.

Uruguay are not what they were. They stumbled into qualification even though Brazil weren't competing. Cavani is in dire form and Suarez has the ability to take himself out of matches. A few nods to centrebacks during the run in to rough him up would be welcome too.

Best of all, expectations are low and there would be no crying shame if we didn't progress.

I think in this instance the draw with two europeans will be beneficial as both will be fearing the conditions.

Flights and hotels booked. Absolutely buzzing for this and Manaus will be an incredible place to visit (although there are currently rumours that England v Italy might be swapped with Costa Rica v Uruguay, for TV scheduling reasons - I would be seriously unamused if that happens).

Tough group, no question about it - but many people said the same before the 2002 world cup (particularly that Argentina would wipe the floor with us) yet we ended up going through at their expense.

Flights and hotels booked. Absolutely buzzing for this and Manaus will be an incredible place to visit (although there are currently rumours that England v Italy might be swapped with Costa Rica v Uruguay, for TV scheduling reasons - I would be seriously unamused if that happens).

Tough group, no question about it - but many people said the same before the 2002 world cup (particularly that Argentina would wipe the floor with us) yet we ended up going through at their expense.

Don't forget to get your jabs!

Fixed? Don't see how, but would be interested to know how you think Sir Geoff Hurst did it?

Well if the draws are fixed then we benefited last time - it was just that our team was s***.

Think that those wanting to favour sides can influence results in a far more subtle way than fixing the group draw.

Bloody 2am the first two games. Luckily I'm in Menorca!

Actually it's just the first and that will be swapped for sure.  2 Major european TV Markets - They'll swap the kick off with the Uruquay v Costa Rica match due to kick off at 8pm our time.  

The world cup is intended to make money and advertising revenues will suffer for having one of the more glamorous group games at 2am our time - 3am for most of europe.  

• Admin

Well if the draws are fixed then we benefited last time - it was just that our team was s***.

Think that those wanting to favour sides can influence results in a far more subtle way than fixing the group draw.

Actually it's just the first and that will be swapped for sure. 2 Major european TV Markets - They'll swap the kick off with the Uruquay v Costa Rica match due to kick off at 8pm our time.

The world cup is intended to make money and advertising revenues will suffer for having one of the more glamorous group games at 2am our time - 3am for most of europe.

Wouldn't be surprised if the location is switched too after the mayor was quoted as saying we are not welcome in his City.

Wouldn't be surprised if the location is switched too after the mayor was quoted as saying we are not welcome in his City.

I suspect they might change the kick off time but trying to swap the venue would open a huge can of worms.

I can't imagine Uruguay or Costa Rica would be happy if their game is switched to Manaus to appease two European teams and a European TV audience.

The only time I can remember a venue being switched was in Euro 2004 - England's last group game against Croatia was originally due to be played in Coimbra but UEFA swapped it with France v Switzerland, so England ended up playing in the bigger stadium in Lisbon. That switch was made very quickly after the draw and thankfully very few fans had made non-cancellable, hugely expensive bookings for the original venue.

Given the number of England fans who, over the last 12 hours, have already shelled out hundreds of pounds to book the few available hotel rooms and flights for Manaus, there would be a lot of very unhappy people if the venue is switched!

That won't happen. The venues are set in stone.  The kick off times may be subject to change as per FIFA website.

He'll soon be changing his tune now that we're going there.

England won their group, France had to go into a play off v Ukraine to qualify.

Surely that should have been in our favour with regards to an easy or difficult pool next Summer?

They came second to Spain in their group.  Not sure we would have done anything different.  

We were in the same pot as France in the draw.  They got Switzerland we got Uruguay.  As Blatter is Swiss, I'd guess if he was really fixing it, they'd have got Bosnia or Greece out of that pot rather than France who were probably the 2nd best side in the pot.

England won their group, France had to go into a play off v Ukraine to qualify.

Surely that should have been in our favour with regards to an easy or difficult pool next Summer?

We only have ourselves, the FA, to blame for deciding to play a friendly against a lowly ranking side, Scotland. Even winning this game earned so few FIFA ranking points that it brought down our points per game average so that we were not high enough ranked to be seeded. Italy cocked up as well by fielding weakened sides in the qualifiers when they knew they were certain to go through thus earning insufficient ranking points. Effectively we are in a group with two other sides that should be seeded. Everyone knows that the ranking system is flawed but FIFA simply do not wish to acknowledge the fact.

We only have ourselves, the FA, to blame for deciding to play a friendly against a lowly ranking side, Scotland. Even winning this game earned so few FIFA ranking points that it brought down our points per game average so that we were not high enough ranked to be seeded. Italy cocked up as well by fielding weakened sides in the qualifiers when they knew they were certain to go through thus earning insufficient ranking points. Effectively we are in a group with two other sides that should be seeded. Everyone knows that the ranking system is flawed but FIFA simply do not wish to acknowledge the fact.

Strange, considering it's run by a bunch of rankers...

Archived