IGNORED

Baldock Missed Chances

BristolGFXCity

Baldock was quality today. Long may it continue and hopefully he can keep proving me wrong. That is the sort of performance we want but also expect for a 1.5 million striker.

I still think we paid over the odds and I'm still very unsure but hope I am proved wrong on this one. It certainly doesn't mean I won't continue to back him in the hope he makes me eat my words!

Baldock was quality today. Long may it continue and hopefully he can keep proving me wrong. That is the sort of performance we want but also expect for a 1.5 million striker.

I still think we paid over the odds and I'm still very unsure but hope I am proved wrong on this one. It certainly doesn't mean I won't continue to back him in the hope he makes me eat my words!

Lets all face it sam has missed a boatfull so far, today he more than played his part laid it on a plate for jet and ran channels well. His first touch lets him down and im sure cotts will work on him. He gets into the positions and if he can get a little composure he will score a lot more.if we keep a bit of form and keep clean sheets sam will be fine it comes with confidence

I am 100 per cent behind Baldock works his tail off for the team and is scoring. Just want to see him convert a few more of those chances and one on ones. I believe he will deliver 20 goals this season and would have earn't them.

Wasteful Sammy now on course for 20 league goals this season. Great assist today too.

I wish all our strikers we've had were this useless.

Most of us on here are incredibly pleased to see Sam score today and for him to play well.  I personally thought he did very well again today, as I have done in most games this season.

The fact he scored a goal today is great, and I am more than happy with this.  It doesn't hide the fact that he's missed 18 excellent chances (as posted earlier in this thread), but as long as he can keep scoring, then excellent.  He still has to prove his goalscoring ability to me in a City shirt though.

No-one is suggesting he should score 40 this season, we're just saying it would have been nice for him to score maybe 3 or 4 of the excellent chances he's had.

I say well done to Sam today.  Keep it up.

I think he was a real contender for MoM today, fantastic performance from him and he deserved his goal, was my dad's first game this season and he thought baldock was fantastic today, a few poor touches here and there but the whole team fell asleep for part of the second half, and the work he did to set up jet was brilliant

I've never read such bullshit in my life

With fans like this slagging off one of the only players to put 100% in every game we play we deserve to be ******* relegated

You lot are not fit to support the club

I'm not sure many have slagged him off. We've simply said that his finishing in one on one scenarios isn't as good as it should be. Which is true.

We're all extremely pleased that he had a good game yesterday but to use it as some sort of 'I told you so' mechanism is silly.

He's still got some work to do to prove he's the messiah that many have him down to be. He needs to be more clynical and the moment he is Ill be the first to change my tune.

I'm not sure many have slagged him off. We've simply said that his finishing in one on one scenarios isn't as good as it should be. Which is true.

We're all extremely pleased that he had a good game yesterday but to use it as some sort of 'I told you so' mechanism is silly.

He's still got some work to do to prove he's the messiah that many have him down to be. He needs to be more clynical and the moment he is Ill be the first to change my tune.

There's always room for critique. No player is perfect e.g. Suarez. But by the same merit who said Sammy was the Messiah. People are quick to forget he scored his 12TH goal if the season yesterday and could easily overtake JET.

More importantly he made (and I mean he took players on to effectively make a goal from nothing) at least one goal yesterday and for the first time his season I've witnessed a strong partnership between him and Jay emerge. Admittedly I've probably only watched us 5 times this season, and yes we made Stevenage look a lot better than they probably are. But sticking to the point based on yesterday alone, perhaps based on Boxing Day as well, the non-starting squad strikers have got their work cut out to force JET and Sam out if the team.

Apart from Parish they're the first two I'd have on my team sheet.

With fans like this slagging off one of the only players to put 100% in every game we play we deserve to be ******* relegated

Hahahahahahaha this is hilarious.

All hail Monkeh. The only Bristol City fan ever who's opinion is always correct & is the only fan 'fit' to support the club.

In fairness to Baldock it hasn't been that easy playing up top on his own challenging 6 foot defenders in the air time and time again. SC has made it clear he wants JET further forward to help him out. Credit to Sam thought he was superb yesterday.

There is no bias in my post - just facts.

You speak of facts at the end of your post, and you are correct, he has scored 11 goals (9 in the league, 2 from penalties and one off his kidney from on the goal line!)

I also speak of facts, and he has missed a glut of gilt-edged chances.  I've listed 20 chances he's had, and I've stated that I'd have been content for him to have scored at least 4 of those - that isn't asking too much really is it!

For the record, I've actually been quite pleased with Baldock's general play this season, his effort has been excellent and he's got himself in great positions.  He just needs to have scored a few more of these excellent chances he's presented with.

As for your rather off track comments about midfielders shooting from 30 yards, I assume you're referring to Pack.  Well, if you look at his goals record at Cheltenham you'll find at least 4 or 5 stunners from outside the box, so to state that he's "never scored a goal like that in his career" is wrong, he's scored about 5.

I don't dispute your facts but I'll maintain my statement that you are massively biased (I love the goal off his kidney comment - we'll take that one off his stats shall we?).

It sounds as if you want a 1 in 5 conversion rate.  I suggest to you that strikers at this level do not remotely meet that rate (you've presumably made a list of all the chances that JET has missed so interested to know his conversion rate...).

In terms of midfielders I wasn't thinking about Pack. I was thinking of Wagstaff/Reid who both like to try their chance from 30 yards.  Every time they shape up I know it's a wasted effort.  My point is that I suspect you (and many criticising Baldock) don't count those types of shots against midfielders when we say they don't score enough.

For what it's worth. I rate Pack and would like to see him playing more advanced to get the chance to try those "stunners".  I just don't agree with your contention that Pack protects the back four more than our other midfielders.  I believe this is one of our major weaknesses.  Perhaps Gillett will help here?

People are quick to defend Baldock after scoring 12 and setting up 5

People are quick to berate JET after scoring 17 and setting up 8 because he ''doesn't work hard enough''.

Worrying that some fans are happier with someone who runs around a lot and scores/creates less than someone who has the flair to change any game but maybe doesn't do as much off the ball

If he'd done that last season we'd not been relegated last season.

People are quick to defend Baldock after scoring 12 and setting up 5

People are quick to berate JET after scoring 17 and setting up 8 because he ''doesn't work hard enough''.

Worrying that some fans are happier with someone who runs around a lot and scores/creates less than someone who has the flair to change any game but maybe doesn't do as much off the ball

I guess its as simple as fans want more. I will not trash Jet for his work rate but wish he did a little more sometimes and will not trash baldock for his conversion rate but wiswh he converted at a higher percentage rate. I dont want to lose either player but am greedy and just want more.

I was pleased he played superbly yesterday as he does in most matches

But no one on this thread has said he's a good finisher, Why? Maybe because he isn't he scores his goals by getting into the right positions

If we sign a striker in Jan it has to be a clinical striker to complement Baldock.

If there was a choice between Jet and Baldock I'd keep Jet as Baldock would be easier to replace

Archived