IGNORED

Small Things You Hate About The Premier League.

And Its Smith

cheating and diving...

However... in spite of that, I must be in the minority, because I love it...  purely for the enjoyment of the skills on display.  I guess I'm a bit of a football purist, because NOTHING excites me more than a player using his skill and talent to go around a player, make an opening for himself, score a fantastic goal.  Also, slick team play like fast, one touch passing.

Those are the things that excite me about football and, equally, those are the things that have made me lose faith and interest in Bristol City.

Indeed. I'm on the verge of dumping Sky Sports any way. I got it for the cricket, but that's gone wahoonie-shaped. I find that the PL simply bores me and I can always watch our rare appearances at the pub.

"Can't you watch it at home?"

"No, dear, I ditched Sky Sports to save us money."

Sky Sports ditched :D

The team at the top of OUR top division turning out with just TWO British players.

Little bit harsh Arsenal have a number good young British players.

Ramsay

Walcott

Gibbs

Jenkinson

Wilshire

Ox

What I hate about PL football is

cheating being defended as "clever play".

Football pundits

Snoods and gloves

Football boots embroidered with names /numbers /players kids

Pink footballs

Celebration music

Players with more cars than international caps

Indeed. I'm on the verge of dumping Sky Sports any way. I got it for the cricket, but that's gone wahoonie-shaped. I find that the PL simply bores me and I can always watch our rare appearances at the pub.

Genius!

We must tell other men!

Managers that need an interpreter for after match interviews. We've had players that need interpreters for interviews for ages but most of them are English though!!

Also teams coming out together and lining up before kick off and shaking hands with the opposition - that's for international matches but this has now filtered down through the football league as well.

The referee picking up the match ball (pink?!) from a plinth by the pitch on the way out of the tunnel - what's all that about!

Pretty soon they will have a Michael Aspel like interview with each player ( a la Miss World) so they can tell the crowd a bit about himself, his favourite food that he would like to work with animals and would like to help solve the crisis in the middle east. 

I too enjoy the 'Super Sunday' fixtures. Makes Sunday very much more chilled.

What I don't like though is how one of the showpiece games of the season, the FA Cup final, is now played before the final games of the premier league season.

The FA Cup Final is at the end of the season this year...

The extent of the big clubs' dominance over the rest of the league. Any other club has no chance unless some billionaire owner invests heavily. Admittedly this season is better than others with the openness at the top. but it gets so boring to see the same old teams (Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham) finishing at the top every season. Admittedly it's better than the likes of La Liga, which is dominated by two (maybe three) clubs, but I wish the league was on a more even footing, like the Championship. For most clubs in the Premier League it's a miracle to finish 7th/8th, that's pretty much the best they can hope for year after year...

Also the glory-hunting fans who don't realise half the clubs in the football league exist until they get into the Premier League.

In no particular order:

The gap between the players and the fans. 

The sterile atmosphere in most stadiums.

The over priced tickets.

The way we are continuously told that a game is exciting when in fact nothing has happened for 89 and a half minutes.

The sense of entitlement. I.e Spurs have been in the champs league once and won 1 trophy in the last decade yet being 7th (within touching distance of 4th) in Dec is considered not good enough.

The Generic player sound bite interview.

Manchester United fans who live in Manchester and never go to a game citing the myth that they can never get tickets.

Manchester United fans who have never been to Manchester. 

John Terry

Clubs selling their identity and 100 year history for the shot at one season worth of "glory".

(there is more but I don't want to be more of a bore than usual)

One thing I do enjoy is the standard of football. It's hard not to watch the likes of Arsenal\Man city\Liverpool\Everton this season and not be impressed with some of the play.

There is nothing 'small' i hate about the premier league.

What i hate is massive ; the Premier league has nothing to do with "English" league football and has systematically sucked the life and soul out of the game, whilst the clubs have whored themselves to stay on the gravy train often with catastrophic consequences.

Apart from that it's great for armchair mutton head supporters who would n't know the smell of linament from a Tv dinner.

Wake up or wither.

What i hate is massive ; the Premier league has nothing to do with "English" league football and has systematically sucked the life and soul out of the game, whilst the clubs have whored themselves to stay on the gravy train often with catastrophic consequences.

Apart from that it's great for armchair mutton head supporters who would n't know the smell of linament from a Tv dinner.

Wake up or wither.

Ah! Linament, giant sized communal bottle obviously.

Wake up or wither.

Stones Horse Linament ? 

Many things that I don't enjoy about top flight football these days. One thing that has really started to annoy me in recent years is the race to finish 4th!! Yes....4th!! The fact that finishing 4th is now considered a success shows where football has gone. It's a joke. I can understand the need for teams like Everton, Newcastle etc who can't afford to compete with the top 6 big clubs as such to try and squeeze in, but the likes of Spurs who have spent over 100m would consider 4th a success is pathetic. I know they sold Bale but still to spend that money and be content with 4th tells you everything you need to know about the prem.

Soon winning a trophy will be considered failure ;) 

Many things that I don't enjoy about top flight football these days. One thing that has really started to annoy me in recent years is the race to finish 4th!! Yes....4th!! The fact that finishing 4th is now considered a success shows where football has gone. It's a joke. I can understand the need for teams like Everton, Newcastle etc who can't afford to compete with the top 6 big clubs as such to try and squeeze in, but the likes of Spurs who have spent over 100m would consider 4th a success is pathetic. I know they sold Bale but still to spend that money and be content with 4th tells you everything you need to know about the prem.

Soon winning a trophy will be considered failure ;)

It already is if it's the FA Cup :(

cheating and diving...

However... in spite of that, I must be in the minority, because I love it...  purely for the enjoyment of the skills on display.  I guess I'm a bit of a football purist, because NOTHING excites me more than a player using his skill and talent to go around a player, make an opening for himself, score a fantastic goal.  Also, slick team play like fast, one touch passing.

Those are the things that excite me about football and, equally, those are the things that have made me lose faith and interest in Bristol City.

I don't think you're in any minority Sir. Sergio Aguero and David Silva of Man City, Yaya Toure and Agredo also of Man City, Oscar and Hazard of Chelsea - these players are superb to watch. Never before has the Premier League had so much world class talent. Then there's the rat head Suarez and fast improving Coutinho of Liverpool. I think it'll be a very long time before Man U can win another trophy when they're up against players like that.

Careful with that....you might hear "Oh great, I've stopped buying razors to save us money"

:shocking:

Inflated match day prices. 20 years ago I took my son to Highbury. Child prices are only available in the Family Enclosure and that's fully booked a the start of the season. Elsewhere in the ground and a child has to pay adult price.

Kick off times and dates being changed at too short a notice for many travelling fans who want to buy cheap travel tickets in advance.

The media perception of what is basically "League Division 1!.  At the end of the Premiership's first season Norwich were third and had briefly been top. A respected writer in one of the broadsheets wrote "The Premiership isn't meant to be about the likes of Norwich". To me that one sentence sums it up.

There is no doubt its a more exciting league now Man U are in decline and Ferguson has retired. 

I love watching the actual football - players like Aguero, Hazard, Suarez, Toure, Cazorla are geniuses, but I hate the diving, the hyperbole that goes with it, the cliches, the sense of entitlement of fans and players, and the cringeworthy goal celebrations.

Its Americanised, its a product and I detest all of that. The actual football is pretty damn good to watch this season, though, and that's what keeps me interested.

Archived