IGNORED

City ' Not So Greats '

supercidered

Can we say lee trundle should be on the list? Cost 1 mil and never really lived up to the hype or not giving much of a chance had one season then left didnt he? Still one of my favourite players tho,

Dave partridge- had the potential played for wales then wasted his career

Tony dinning - earned his contract then thought ill just do nothing now

Nicky hunt - I remember thinking we have a great defender on our hands here...

Bas savage - nice guy but hell did he get a professional contract :laugh:

Mark Flatts on loan from arsenal? Would have expected better.

Similar high expectations of Clayton Fortune never materialised. Ever. Former spurs I recall.

Who was youga's mate from charlton Osi Sankofa sent off at Swindon?

Fortune now works at Luke in bristol & captains Clevedon town, he turned down a big move to preston when he was with us as well if I remember rightly

I am a city fan for nearly forty years and am writing a book which includes some players that have been signed that to put it mildly were not great pieces of business.

I'm looking for the funny, the stupid money paid for, the just plainly ridiculous and any other player you feel needs a mention.

If you could give an example of the player's time at City then all the better as once the draft of the book is done.... I can then include your quote in the book, with your permission. I'm looking at players from the 70's onwards please.

An example for you.... Bas Savage!

The worst City 11 in my time

1.Phil Kite

2.Brian Mitchell

3.Nicky Hunt

4.Julian Watts

5.Gus Ceasar

6.Gary Stanley

7.Tony Dinning

8.Paul Mortimor

9.Andy Smith

10.Liam Robinson

11.Ian Baird

There are many more but i'm getting depressed just thinking about this lot :-(

For me (and I know a few of these have already come up in posts) the list must have:

Gerard Lavin - I was at Reading that day. What in gods name was he thinking?

Marcus Stewart - You may be a city fan but that's about it.

Steve Torpey - If only for doing almost sod all for about 20 games in that bloody awful single season in the Championship

Ian Baird - Still my favorite OTIB cover ever - The first issue after Baird had given his infamous two fingered salute to the Atyeo stand, the cover read "yes Ian, we know what division we're in but whose fault was it?"

There have been dozens of awful loan signings.

brian Mitchell

thats him. been racking my brain. thanks. (I've posted this before but I once slagged him off on his debut pre season in the anglo scottish at twerton whilst standing next to his old man. I'm sure there was another equally inept defender we signed on at the same time.)

Russell Osman

Not having that, he was still class when he played for us, OK his best days (England and Ipswich) were behind him but he was very decent.

I would say that Nicky Hunt must be the most inept footballer we have had from the top flight (plenty of competition though!).  But he wasn't exactly a household name.

1st equal for "The biggest let down, after the club have made a signing that makes you think:- they really mean business this time!" Award goes to David James and Marcus Stewart

Who said Fleck? He only had a brief loan but was quality and we really needed him to stay. Another cracking Johnson loanee was Nick Wright, a winger from Birmingham.

John Palmer, a non-league lummox striker, did not quite make the step up, or even the bottom step. Always rated Graham Withey at Bath, but his one game for us was dire. Ian Leigh in goal for just one game.... That was enough.

David James definitely ranks as an awful signing, we had 2 decent keepers and did not need him, his performances were pretty average, and his extended contract was a major factor in Henderson leaving.

Archived