IGNORED

City ' Not So Greats '

supercidered

Paul Holland for me. He, Sean Dyche and Billy (the fish) Mercer all came from a Chesterfield side that had an amazing cup run the year before, and Dyche and Holland gave the impression that they had fulfilled their lives ambitions in doing so. Billy was another with an unlucky injury that finished his career, he could have been a legend.  

In fact that would be a better book, "the might have beens but for bad luck and or circumstances" and in the case of Dean Horrix incredibly sad circumstances. I remember crying over Dean Horrix and I had only seen him play twice.

Paul Holland for me. He, Sean Dyche and Billy (the fish) Mercer all came from a Chesterfield side that had an amazing cup run the year before, and Dyche and Holland gave the impression that they had fulfilled their lives ambitions in doing so. Billy was another with an unlucky injury that finished his career, he could have been a legend.  

In fact that would be a better book, "the might have beens but for bad luck and or circumstances" and in the case of Dean Horrix incredibly sad circumstances. I remember crying over Dean Horrix and I had only seen him play twice.

Did Mercer wear squad number 2 or have I made that up?

The amount of useless loanees/short termers people are bringing up is ridiculous! Would be interesting to see the total amount of players we've had on our books in the last decade or so...

Since when does four make a "couple" ?

Seebok was an excellent centre back and could land a super ball from defence right in the path of a forward .So for me it's a "no".

Sebok as you say, definitely not, I would put him and Vegard Hansen up as two of our better signings.

I have just remembered Gary Stanley as well, if the book is about those with a reputation that seemed undeserved then he would be page 1. More concerned about messing up his hair than anything else.

Any player tinman signed in his last summer with us. Bar alex russel. Couple of donkeys from swindon, that welsh centre half we got from motherwell. Bridges and stewart. What a woeful transfer window that was. Although at the time we thought we would go on to dominate the league. Oh and caskey i believe. Got to go down as the worst transfer window in our history surely.

Has no-one mentioned Stern John yet? Also could add Andy Keogh, Liam Robinson, Rodney McAree, Henry McKop, Kelly Youga. Dave Partridge was the guy from Motherwell and was one of the one's involved in the brawl if I remember rightly

For me Dyche is still the worst I have seen overall.

Sebok only made 23 appearances for City and he cost quite a bit to sign him. It also took an age to get him over here once he did sign. What was the reason for his lack of games for us?

Tony Pulis and his irrational fear of foreigners. (something he managed to overcome when Stoke's Icelandic owners were paying his wages)

Sebok went from us to the German 1st division, scoring against Bayern Munich and playing in the Olympic Games.

Another couple of contenders:

Martin fat and unfunny Kuhl

Ian Baird

Seebok

Robert Fleck

No way on Vilmos Sebok. A very decent defender in the classic sweeper style. Signed by Benny Lennartsson I believe, midway through the season and departed when the Pulis took over due to the fact Pulis struggled with anybody who wasn't British.

10.Sebok-Vilmos-Bristol.jpg

For me Dyche is still the worst I have seen overall.

I can understand this although I do feel a bit sorry for him. Ward played him without being fit and he never recovered. Still finished his playing career in the division above us as captain at Millwall. Not surprised he seems to be making a fist of management.

Funny story - I was waiting at the players entrance and got someone's autograph (can't remember who) and I ask if Sean was coming out, so the player found Dyche and I said it was Sean Goaters' autograph I wanted. Dyche looked totally fed up and went back to get the Goat!

Grant Smith for swindle, scored a screamer against the gas in a pre season friendly

He was total crap. Him and Matt Heywood - awful. 

Dave Partridge is one of the worst I can remember, always remember him giving a goal away by ducking out of the way of a long ball to let it run through to the keeper, when the striker nipped in and scored.

James Quinn, Northern Irish INTERNATIONAL striker :blink:  who we had on loan under Johnson was also totally hopeless.

No way on Vilmos Sebok. A very decent defender in the classic sweeper style. Signed by Benny Lennartsson I believe, midway through the season and departed when the Pulis took over due to the fact Pulis struggled with anybody who wasn't British.

10.Sebok-Vilmos-Bristol.jpg

And of course he scored an international hat-trick against Liechtenstein in a Euro qualifier. Not too many defenders get those!

He was total crap. Him and Matt Heywood - awful. 

Dave Partridge is one of the worst I can remember, always remember him giving a goal away by ducking out of the way of a long ball to let it run through to the keeper, when the striker nipped in and scored.

James Quinn, Northern Irish INTERNATIONAL striker :blink:  who we had on loan under Johnson was also totally hopeless.

Also turned out for the Gas and Willem II strangely enough.

Archived