IGNORED

Bobby Reid

ciderbeans

What's people's thoughts on him as the season has progressed?

I am very glad he is being given game time to help him progress. There are definate flashes of brilliance and he is by no means a finished article.

However IMO, he has been well below par the last few games. I would like to put it down to him being tired from playing a lot of games but he was a ghost today and weak in possession when he did have it. This is all after being rested last game.

Is he being over done? Should we stick with him in their or make him a bench player like burns and Bryan?

I would like to see him continue but he doesn't seem to be able to keep up the pace and continuity like people such as will Hughes who just go from strength to strength.

In the immediate future, my thoughts turn to survival where we need big rough and ready players like Marv who will put in the dog work and help us going out points. Reid should be in the team when there is less pressure to gain points as he is more likely to perform then.

What do people think?

hes 21 tomorrow

A tad older than I realised

Still think he would be roundly criticised here if it weren't for the fact he is young and local.

Players that have been considerably better than Bobby this season take stick on here yet you never see a word against him.

I think he has lots of potential but has a long way to go to realise it.

I was gonna start a thread on this earlier but didnt wanna be the person to do it...

Last few games he's been poor and his main problem currently is his positional sense both attacking and defensively. Today for example he was higher up of the 3, yet rarely was he in space and didnt get into the game at all.

A tad older than I realised

Still think he would be roundly criticised here if it weren't for the fact he is young and local.

Players that have been considerably better than Bobby this season take stick on here yet you never see a word against him.

I think he has lots of potential but has a long way to go to realise it.

One issue with Reid is the fact he is still very, very slight. Same with Bryan.

You can get away with it more as a winger but in the centre of midfield, at this level, it helps to be stronger and heavier. I would hazard a guess he is between 10 and 11 stone which is very light for someone in that position. He can get stronger and heavier.

However, what Reid does have is ability which you can't accumulate in the same way. I have been impressed overall but form has dipped recently.

Also I don't get this 'being overdone' thing that both SOD and SC have alluded to.

What is he, 18/19? Surely you will be as physically fit at that age as you will ever be? I wish I was as fit as I was at that age...

This is his first full season where he has been involved week in ,week out. It's catching up to him, as I'd expect.

It isn't necessarily about physical fitness as it is mental.

I dont think we can afford to play Reid and JET in the same team at the moment it makes us too leightweight in midfield and allows opposing teams to walk right through our midfield. Both skillfull players and crowd pleasers on their day but neither can tackle and constantly get robbed of the ball trying to be to flash this immediately puts us back under pressure

You can see why he hardly played when on loan at oldham last season,

Has plenty of skill which showed in his mazy run early in the second half and then finished it off with a poor pass through to their keeper, but that was as good as it got.

I can't honestly see him developing any more at the age he is now and becoming the creative playmaker that his fan club crave for.

Has a very good first touch and very quick feet but after 2/3 of the season now how many goals has he scored? How many assists has he actually got? His final product is not good and regularly the final ball is over hit or the shot wild.

I don't think that his small physique is a problem but I agree with others about his positional sense, it's not great. He is a luxury player in our current situation and I'm not sure one we can play week in week out at the moment. I think he will improve but as mentioned above he is not a kid anymore.

The pressure is doing him no favours and it seems to be weighing heavy on him. Time for a rest, re-evaluation of what he needs to improve and an off season of hard work with the coaching staff. Still has a lot to offer I'm sure but I do think that taking a break will help him in the long run.

He has probably burnt himself out. Young players are always doing it. Another example would be Raheem Sterling. Everyone thought he was great, and then his form dipped so there manager gave him a break, now he is better again! Young kids usually run on adrenaline to get them through.

I've been less than impressed recently I must admit.

He gets a free ride because he is young and local. If he weren't from Bristol he'd take a slating on here for his recent performances. But you can't criticise a local lad....

he is a young lad and that is why he is given some slack by the supporters and rightly so, the last thing he needs is to be slaughtered because he played poorly, having said that maybe he does need to be taken out of the team for a couple of games and come back fresh.

A bit to early to write off the young lad surely. Maybe he has lost some confidence and is struggling with the pressure like many young players do.

No, thats it mate. It's all over for him the OTIB backlash has begun. He is reaching that magical age where suddenly as far as they are concerned he cannot learn and improve. Might as well get rid and start the process again with the next big thing. 

Yesterday he tried to show too many flicks and cocky touches , when what we need right now is someone in midfield controlling the game, getting their foot in , winning possession and making simple passes if needs be.

Also twice just before ht, we had free kicks 25/30 yards out and Bobby takes control over JET and chips a ball that both times was just predictable and simply not good enough. Why not let JET have a crack when you're 1 down at home in a dangerous position ? Maybe SC. Has told him to take control of these situations but it seemed strange to me.

Whilst on about Bobbys poor performance, I don't think he was helped by Packs headless chicken impression yesterday ! Lots of effort not much final product. Thank heavens for Marvs second half performance - some great tackles and 2 crucial goals !!

That's how you do it lads - watch and learn !!

Tries to make things happen rather than shirk it and go backwards. As a result he is prone to getting caught out or misplacing a difficult pass - personally, I don't have a problem with this.

Didn't have a good game yesterday but I hope he doesn't change how he plays. He is one of the few who always looks to get us on the front foot and the team moving forward.

Whilst on about Bobbys poor performance, I don't think he was helped by Packs headless chicken impression yesterday ! Lots of effort not much final product. Thank heavens for Marvs second half performance - some great tackles and 2 crucial goals !!

That's how you do it lads - watch and learn !!

Couldn't agree less about Pack, not always seen what he offers us but he was the only outfield player who came out of the first half with any credit, winning tackles, using the ball sensibly, so that's very harsh.

Couldn't agree less about Pack, not always seen what he offers us but he was the only outfield player who came out of the first half with any credit, winning tackles, using the ball sensibly, so that's very harsh.

But my opinion Graham sorry. Just thought there was effort there but not a lot of skill, which is disappointing for me as I expected a lot more from him.

Archived