IGNORED

Rosenior On Safe Standing

Eco

The intention at Ashton Gate is precisely that: one standing fan (initially rugby only) per rail seat space. If rules for football change, then the same will apply for standing fans at football. As you say, there is no argument against it. It is clearly safer than what happens now at every all-seater ground, where fans stand behind seats with low backs (or no backs at all), which are then trip hazards.

Thanks for the info. All sounds good to me.

• SC&T Board Members

I find that so infuriating as at many German clubs do 2 per seat. The increase in capacity is much smaller than it could be. It's safe for 2, so why don't we do 2. I know the red tape etc but only have one chance to put these rail seats in. I think what we're doing is great but if we're going to do it we should do it properly.  

http://sta-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hannover-visit-1-004.jpeg

More than one per space would generate greater resistance from people who might fear that clubs were trying to 'cram in' as many people as possible just to make money, while disregarding safety. It is hard to argue against one per space from a safety perspective.

You don't really know much about safe standing, do you Leroy?

What a complete load of tosh. if he's been paid for writing that the post should be asking for their money back.

i dont think he wrote it, just endorsed it and copped the cheque that went with it.

too much proper english in there for the clueless thick ****

Instead of posting on here, put a comment on the Post website, keeping it clean and without personal abuse. If he gets 100 replies all politely telling him he's a co ck he might just get the message. Also think City should invite him to take a look, assuming he can get his fat arse out of a warm studio for a day.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. One presumes he's been fighting against standing in the lower leagues all this time?

Ordinarily the dangerous part of standing is surging. Problem solved.

So long as you don't let thousands too many into one area of the ground I can't forsee ANY other problems as a result of rails.

It's somewhere to rest your pie too.

More than one per space would generate greater resistance from people who might fear that clubs were trying to 'cram in' as many people as possible just to make money, while disregarding safety. It is hard to argue against one per space from a safety perspective.

Good work Blagdon, but this aspect has to be seen as disappointing.

So rail seats will not increase capacity, in which case there's no prospect of prices coming down.

Is there evidence of more than one space per seat being unsafe or causing any problems in Germany?

• SC&T Board Members

Good work Blagdon, but this aspect has to be seen as disappointing.

So rail seats will not increase capacity, in which case there's no prospect of prices coming down.

Is there evidence of more than one space per seat being unsafe or causing any problems in Germany?

No evidence of that, no. And current UK capacity guidelines for a traditional terrace permit 18 standing fans in the same space that would be taken by 10 seats in a grandstand. In theory, therefore, there is indeed scope for increasing the capacity of an area by using rail seats and standing, but that is not the intention in this case.

I'm all for safe standing and if it's available where I want to be in the ground I will use it. However I would like to throw a word of caution in. The one's installed in Block A are just individual structures, there doesn't appear to be the strength you would get if a continuous rail was installed? They look a bit lightweight.

We argue that this is safer than the current situation where people stand anyway and all they have in front of them is the back of a plastic seat (or in the EE nothing at all because the seats have no backs). There is rarely any surging in the current arrangement because people are aware of the danger. Do you think the rail seats, if they are not substantial enough, could give people a false sense of security that they can take the pressure of a 16 stone bloke leaning forward on it, the one I saw in Block A didn't look like it would hold up.

As I said I am all for it, but I think we need to ensure the rail seat structure itself is strong enough to offer the level of support that it may need in the event of over enthusiastic fans. Not something we have seen at the Gate for a few seasons but hopefully we will see soon.

Maybe if he can't get his head around it he should try and do the slightest bit of research into it.

His extensive research into the subject concludes that these seats work in the Bundesliga but shouldn't be used here because he doesn't want a return to dangerous crowd surges.....something that can't happen with SAFE standing. The clue is in the name.

Top work Leroy.

Anyway, I want to ban the Football League show because I run the risk of being electrocuted if I give in to the urge to smash my head through the television screen every time him and Claridge are on.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. One presumes he's been fighting against standing in the lower leagues all this time?

Ordinarily the dangerous part of standing is surging. Problem solved.

So long as you don't let thousands too many into one area of the ground I can't forsee ANY other problems as a result of rails.

It's somewhere to rest your pie too.

If Leroy is so set against standing at football then surely he must have been disgusted at the terracing that existed on two sides of Plainmoor whilst he was manager of Torquay?

And if anyone actually read to the end of his article, he really is taking the piss when he advocates a super stadium for both Bristol clubs. Penis.

• SC&T Board Members

I'm all for safe standing and if it's available where I want to be in the ground I will use it. However I would like to throw a word of caution in. The one's installed in Block A are just individual structures, there doesn't appear to be the strength you would get if a continuous rail was installed? They look a bit lightweight.

We argue that this is safer than the current situation where people stand anyway and all they have in front of them is the back of a plastic seat (or in the EE nothing at all because the seats have no backs). There is rarely any surging in the current arrangement because people are aware of the danger. Do you think the rail seats, if they are not substantial enough, could give people a false sense of security that they can take the pressure of a 16 stone bloke leaning forward on it, the one I saw in Block A didn't look like it would hold up.

As I said I am all for it, but I think we need to ensure the rail seat structure itself is strong enough to offer the level of support that it may need in the event of over enthusiastic fans. Not something we have seen at the Gate for a few seasons but hopefully we will see soon.

Each seat frame/rail can withstand the same load that a crush barrier on a traditional terrace is required to withstand (they are designed to hold back up to 8 rows of people, while a rail seat will only ever have to support 2 and at Ashton Gate only 1). They are more than robust enough.

So Rosenior acknowledges that safe standing works in Germany but doesn't advocate it's introduction in this country.

He obviously thinks British football fans can't behave themselves like their German counterparts.

Cheers Leroy.

Don't agree with his views, but I find the level of resulting personal abuse very distasteful. You may not respect his opinion but you're not inviting respect for yourselves either.

I find his constant dig at this club distasteful. Here is a guy who played for the club and who I have good memories of his playing time here.

He has found it in him to run us down at every opportunity, and this latest outburst is ******* typical of him. Even if the club had announced free season tickets to all members, this bloke would be picking holes in us.

Don't agree with his views, but I find the level of resulting personal abuse very distasteful. You may not respect his opinion but you're not inviting respect for yourselves either.

He's been given the opportunity to express his views on a key footballing issue.

His assessment is one of a simpleton.  Poorly argued, full of contradiction and ignoring the key facts.

He's letting the sport down and should shut up.

Each seat frame/rail can withstand the same load that a crush barrier on a traditional terrace is required to withstand (they are designed to hold back up to 8 rows of people, while a rail seat will only ever have to support 2 and at Ashton Gate only 1). They are more than robust enough.

Thanks for that.

Agree: the article is pure opinion. The fact that its pure opinion, and no facts at all to back it up, makes a poor case for what he's saying. But a response that just tells him to **** off kind of makes his case stronger. Far more constructive to suggest that the club invite him down to have a look. He might realise how difficult it would be to "surge" if he saw it.

I don't agree with a word of what he says. But its his opinion and that's his right (as people on here keep saying!).

Agree: the article is pure opinion. The fact that its pure opinion, and no facts at all to back it up, makes a poor case for what he's saying. But a response that just tells him to **** off kind of makes his case stronger. Far more constructive to suggest that the club invite him down to have a look. He might realise how difficult it would be to "surge" if he saw it.

I don't agree with a word of what he says. But its his opinion and that's his right (as people on here keep saying!).

Really good point about inviting him down.  Someone should also point out to him that you are allowed to stand at Rugby matches which is the reason why we are putting it in.  Whether he likes it or not they will go in.  The only issue is when the regulator allows us to use the area as standing for football.  We're likely to be the club that trials it, so us fans will have the responsibility to show that this works so that supporters of all other sides in the country can have similar facilities.

Really good point about inviting him down.  Someone should also point out to him that you are allowed to stand at Rugby matches which is the reason why we are putting it in.  Whether he likes it or not they will go in.  The only issue is when the regulator allows us to use the area as standing for football.  We're likely to be the club that trials it, so us fans will have the responsibility to show that this works so that supporters of all other sides in the country can have similar facilities.

I'm not sure what inviting him down will achieve, other than he'll get a free lunch.

What else is there to know about a rail and a seat? It really isn't a difficult concept,

No personal abuse from me but it's a very poorly researched article. I get the impression that Leroy hadn't even seen the rail seating solution before writing it in all honesty otherwise the 'surging' comment would have been removed. As Dave mentioned, I would like to hear his comments should the club invite him to actually look at the rail seating / safe standing.

Archived