IGNORED

He's Fat He's Round

middlehitter40

Well we didn't finish above 14th in his first 3 or 4 seasons, we were only one point off being relegated in the 70/71 season, and as AD said himself, it was probably only John Galleys goals that stopped us from going down and the fact that we reached the league Cup semi final possibly saved him. We had 3 out of four seasons where we would have been play off material if they had existed then, the other season was the one where our FA Cup run saw us beat Leeds which was a distraction.

The point was though, that because the team was largely built around youth that came through our ranks, most of the fans could see there was a long term plan and were willing to see it being implemented. It's worth mentioning that on a personal level, Dicks was not that popular with the fans and that was obvious when things weren't going well, which must have made it even more difficult for the chairman and the board to stick by him.

One other big difference - no internet back then!

What a lot of people are forgetting is that City is not run in the same way as a usual business. With a normal business there would be a meaningful hierarchy of jobs each with a job title, job description, clear responsibilities and reporting etc. The chairman, CEO and directors would be answerable to the shareholders at the AGM.

It may be possible to produce a diagram showing how this applies, in theory, for City. If so, the next thing to do with this would be to throw it into the bin as the club is really run by Steve Lansdown. This is as expected as it's his money. Job titles with this scenario are necessary for regulatory purposes, but in reality meaningless. Steve L does a good job in attending Q & A sessions but he isn't answerable to the shareholders as he is the shareholder. This isn't a dig at S L as the same applies at other clubs.

Thats a big thing I think. Some fans bitch that the board need to stick to long term plans etc. But the storms that brew on the internet when results turn poor must have such a big affect. In the past you might get 1 or 2 newspaper articles and highlights on the telly. Now you get every little thing turned into huge conspiracies by bored people on the internet. Brainwashing in a way, on a huge scale.

I didn't bother to read the forum yesterday(unheard of for me) because I knew it would be so depressing and vindictive beacuase we had lost. Had a look today and blow and behold a huge thread slating our manager because he had the nerve to have a bit of self belief about himself.

Along side this thread it makes for embarrasing reading. After Coppel SL gets ridiculed for being to hands on, He takes a step back now he's to distant. Where do we want him? Plymouth somewhere inbetween.

Sexton I remember used to get dogs abuse on here as a vocal few didn't like him. Now SLs being blamed for pushing him out to get JL on the board. Do some of you just sit at home thinking of random stuff to make up?

We are an unbalanced rebuilt team, who are subtly improving. Yes we lost at Shef Utd but we won last week at Orient(2nd in the league). This season was always oing to be a struggle, more than the fans expected but thats football what can you do. We aren't in a great position but we can still easily survive theres enough games left of the season. If we were 6 points of the playoffs we would all still have hope but because we are at the wrong end its hopeless. City fans on here must be some of the most defeatist in the country.

These are the sort of priceless comments I love OTIB for

Ok. Do you not think some on here are abnormally defeatist? We're what a point of safety yet all I keep being told is we're deffinately going down and cant win, despite the fact we won 2 games ago. Hell it was like suicide watch on here after we drew with Tranmere, hence why i didn't even bother checking on here sunday.

Steve L needs to be round and fat in order to give him the thick skin he needs to run this club, especially if he ever risks his sanity reading what the club's fans have to say about him.

A normal, sane billionaire would read comment on here and decide there are better things to put money into and that do not give him headaches and would mean he didn't have to get flights out of Guernsey every couple of weeks in order to suffer regular disappointment and an ever reducing bank balance.

Frankly I am amazed that Steve L has not jacked it all in yet, given the seemingly unending flack and abuse he gets from fans.

• Admin

Ok. Do you not think some on here are abnormally defeatist?

From friends I know of other teams they are no different in what they say.

Like any team, following a defeat certain people are the loudest following a victory an equal number will be on here.

Reckon you could replace the names for another team with most posts

From friends I know of other teams they are no different in what they say.

Like any team, following a defeat certain people are the loudest following a victory an equal number will be on here.

Reckon you could replace the names for another team with most posts

Not sure that's true, Phant. After Orient I couldn't believe how quiet Otib was. 

It was inconvenient for various agendas I suppose...

Not sure that's true, Phant. After Orient I couldn't believe how quiet Otib was. 

It was inconvenient for various agendas I suppose...

Robbo, what is all this agenda malarky you and some others go on about?  Seems like some sort of one up manship thrown at those with a different opinion!

The only agenda anyone has on here is a well performing well run Bristol City, how they choose to give opinion on how to come to that outcome is different.  yes it is an agenda, an agenda to improve.  I am damn sure you have that very same agenda

Don't I know it. replying to your post got me thinking about that team in the 70's and one thing was for sure, they knew how to blow off steam! Then I thought about the threads on here criticising players who hit the town etc, god knows what those people would have made of the lifestyle of Cashley, Gow and some of the others, they would have been ripped apart. 

Criticism was reserved for terraces and the bars, and there was just the letters page of the post for people to vent their feelings. It all adds up.

Robbo, what is all this agenda malarky you and some others go on about?  Seems like some sort of one up manship thrown at those with a different opinion!

The only agenda anyone has on here is a well performing well run Bristol City, how they choose to give opinion on how to come to that outcome is different.  yes it is an agenda, an agenda to improve.  I am damn sure you have that very same agenda

Well, without getting drawn into a very well-worn debate again, all I'd say is that it appears that a lot of Otibers would much prefer a moan to a cheer.

Hopefully, we all have City's cause at heart though - just with different ideas of what would best serve it.

Well, without getting drawn into a very well-worn debate again, all I'd say is that it appears that a lot of Otibers would much prefer a moan to a cheer.

Hopefully, we all have City's cause at heart though - just with different ideas of what would best serve it.

While that is undoubtedly true, we shouldn't follow and cheer blindly should we? In the past I have been accused of being one of the "Happy Clappers" for being supportive of both DMC and SOD, but I thought that both were doing (and did) a lot of good work in the background, (the youth and development squad areas) and that I could see a long term plan with them. I have no evidence of the same with SC and he has no history of being that sort of Manager. But again it's not him I am blaming as such, more the people that put him in charge in a move that seems to fly in the face of everything they have said they stand for. 

There used to be a qualified person at the club - Colin Sexton. Not everybody liked him but he had relevant experience and things ran a lot more efficiently than they do now. Of course there was no room at the club for him and Jon Lansdowne so one had to go. The wrong one was given the boot

Colin Sexstone did a great job at Nevil Road and a great job at Ashton Gate, and got precious little thanks for either.

Remember when he stood up for City fans victimised by the West Midlands Police Farce at Walsall? Can you imagine the present bunch doing that? They'd slap on life bans before you could say "fit-up".

Neil Warnock

sorry Phantom, gotta disagree Warnob MIGHT keep us up this season, repeat MIGHT, but sure as eggs is eggs he'll bring his donkey journeymen in and ultimately spend large amounts  of money on more donkies, get the bullet and leave the club in even WORSE shape than O Drosscoll managed..

Dont get thge love in for this northern****....only worse name to mention are Hollowbonce and the ****wit Billy Davies..

I have never been a fan of his

and I will post within 7 day's why I think he is the worst thing that has ever happened to Bristol City in the modern erea.

This will come later in the week when thing's have cooled down but for now.........

he's fat he's round he's taking city down......

Steve lansdown, Steve lansdown

Is it because you have heard about the merger talks ?

I just don't get why he doesn't hire properly qualified people in important positions, i.e. Chairman & Chief Executive for two?

He wouldn't do that at Hargreaves/Lansdown, or more to the point he couldn't !

I've said for years, he needs an equal to come in and share the burden, and also make BCFC a democracy, not dictatorship.

I like the majority would love Steve Lansdown to be a massive success, but until he faces up to his mistakes, and takes the action needed, the club's going to hell in a handcart, before our eyes!

All those idiots who put pressure on the board with "got to get rid of jobs for the boys", about 4 years ago, look where the bloody hell that's got us.

They ripped the soul out the place.

This is Karma at work, for all those good people behind the scenes with Bristol City in their hearts, loyal servants who were sacked without the common courtesy of a simple thank you, after years of hard work and dedication.

Bridges need to be built to restore any faith in the club, and bloody big ones at that!

Roman Abramovich runs Chelsea like a dictatorship and he's thrown lots of money at the club for top managers and top players. A successful formula - just look at what they've won over the last 10 years and with about 10 different managers as well. :cool:

Ah Bert Tann loves banging the conspiracy drum. He believes that its all a merchant venturer plot. I'm sure the fact that a certain vice chairman of City spending a considerable time at the minimal is utterly unrelated......

I think that Bert Tann the Gasman may realize something that many of us don't.

Hey you!!  That's my job (see earlier in the thread).  Bloody thieving gypo!!  ;)

5 days to go.............................

Oops, been away for a couple of days.  Should have let Red Ferret do it after all - sorry Red.  Anyway...

2 days to go...............

Archived