IGNORED

New Centre Back

Major Isewater

Slight sterotype there NTB.

Not sure how, 19 seems a perfectly reasonable age to be seriously knocking on the first team door to me. Good players tend to make the breakthrough fairly early - think Gow, Merrick, at 17, and in an age when football was far more physical than today.

Those who hovver 'promisingly' round the fringe of the squad for years into their early 20's, without ever being able to command anything like a regular place, don't generally amount to much.

I don't see 21 as a 'youth' player in football terms at all, a really promising player should have made at least a few dozen apps. by then and be looking to be a regular starter.

I'm sure Wes Burns for instance will be expecting to be a regular somewhere long before he's 21 in almost 2 years..

Not sure how, 19 seems a perfectly reasonable age to be seriously knocking on the first team door to me. Good players tend to make the breakthrough fairly early - think Gow, Merrick, at 17, and in an age when football was far more physical than today.

Those who hovver 'promisingly' round the fringe of the squad for years into their early 20's, without ever being able to command anything like a regular place, don't generally amount to much.

I don't see 21 as a 'youth' player in football terms at all, a really promising player should have made at least a few dozen apps. by then and be looking to be a regular starter.

I'm sure Wes Burns for instance will be expecting to be a regular somewhere long before he's 21 in almost 2 years..

There are enough players who have fallen into obscurity at that age and then emerged from non-league/the lower leagues in later years to make my point.

There are enough players who have fallen into obscurity at that age and then emerged from non-league/the lower leagues in later years to make my point.

Not sure what your point is.

I didn't say they should be first team regulars at 19 or immediately get a free transfer, just that 19 is a reasonable age to debut a promising player.

Not sure what your point is.

I didn't say they should be first team regulars at 19 or immediately get a free transfer, just that 19 is a reasonable age to debut a promising player.

Saying that a player "seen to have potential" should have made their debut 19. Many don't even manage that, before falling into a lower division and climbing back.

Saying that a player "seen to have potential" should have made their debut 19. Many don't even manage that, before falling into a lower division and climbing back.

I didn't actually say that, I said they should be ready to make their debut, if needed.

That is they should have the talent to do so, and the club should have confidence they have the necessary character which any professional footballer requires.

I'm not sure how many go on to 'climb back from a lower division' from a club like BCFC, as we're already pretty low down the divisions ourselves, but hopefully City won't be a club that pampers and mollycoddles 21/22 year olds with repeated renewed contracts because they might possibly come good later in their careers.

Excellent signing.

...certainly, as emergency signings go this ones not to be sneezed at, wouldnt be surprised if as soon as he heard we were sniffing around he thought to himself "yeah, Bristol City sounds good, come and sinus!" 

We've got a bogeyman, we've got a bogeyman e i adieo, we've gotta bogeyman!! :)

Come on guys, whose going to be the first to bang on about 5 pillars? reference this signing and say I said this would happen when SC took over and now look.

Well, it seems it's you, Esmond, but I'm not going to disagree with you.

Come on guys, whose going to be the first to bang on about 5 pillars? reference this signing and say I said this would happen when SC took over and now look.

Five pillars remain in place but work on them has been suspended whilst Cotterill leads the club to safety. All hands to pump as they say.

Have you on holiday in Syria recently?

Sorry. Genuinely don't get the implication :(

I've called for full support for Cotterill ever since I got over O'Driscoll being sacked, which took about a fortnight, and have been quite generous in my praise of his achievements. I worry about the long term but, at present, the short term is more important.

We signed him up from Luton cos he suits us fine

Ya do Nyron-ron, ya do Nyron

On matchday you stop the ball from crossing our line

Ya do Nyron-ron, ya do Ny-ron

Ohh... he suits us fine

He stops the ball from crossing our line

Ohh... you suit us fine

Ya do Nyron-ron ya do Nyron.

This is possibly the best chant I've seen on here. Well played sir!

Fits perfectly. That's if other people know the song...

Archived