IGNORED

0-11 In 54 Years

Aizoon

I was thinking about goal totals the other night, and realised that I've seen the whole range from 0 to 11 over the years, so I thought I'd share the most memorable - not all for the right reason :(

0. 0-0 home to Barnsley in Jan 1960. My first, and a memorably dull game even after 54 years.

1. 0-1 loss to Brighton at the Millennium May 2004. Heartbroken by the abject performance and DW's squad selection that effectively threw the game.

1-0 at Leeds Jan 1974. No more need be said.

2. 2-0 v Oldham Apr 1965. John Atyeo's goal put us in a promotion place for the first time with 5 minutes left of the season.

3. 2-1 v Hartlepool May 2004. Amazing last minute comeback. Couldn't help feeling sorry for pools fans afterwards, though.

4. 2-2 v Swindon Oct 1963. The Don Rogers team played us off the park but Atyeo saved us with a pair.

5. 4-1 v Sunderland in old Div 1 Sep 1976. We kicked off in both halves and it was on MOTD.

6. 1-5 v Wolves Nov 1994 - watched with a Wolves mate.

7. 1-6 v Wolves Nov 1999 - watched with same Wolves mate. Some people never learn.

8. 4-4 v Wrexham Jan 1978 - the only game I saw where both teams came back from two goals down and probably the start of the great slide...

9. 6-3 v Southend Apr 1963 - Bobby Williams and Barry Meyer got their only hat tricks in the first half and all nine goals were at the other (East) end. It was Barry's last game before retiring to play and umpire cricket. Not bad to go out on his sole hat-trick! City fans were booing the team for only being three goals up in the second half :(

10. 8-2 v Dartford Nov 1961 - met a guy in a Dartford pub 30 years afterwards who remembered being at the game.

And, two elevens!

11. 11-0 v Chichester Nov 1960 - the story goes that John Atyeo got a rollicking from manager Fred Ford for only scoring FIVE.

9-2 v St. Albans City Dec 1996 - notable because St. Albans set out to play football and were applauded off by city fans.

Anyone reckon I'll ever see a 12-goal thriller? I played in one once ;)

OK, trying to remember a 4-0 at HT. The only one I could remember was April 69 v Fulham

4-0 HT ,6-0 FT.

They were full of old timers Graham Leggett, Johnny Haynes, Tony Macedo Brian Deer. Think the average age must have been 35, god, they were poor. Remember it Alz ?

I do, but I'm not sure Haynes was playing.

Yeah great post -- was also at the Chichester game -- sadly missed the St Albans one. Leeds is the standout result of my City career but up there with that one was the first away game back in Div 1 vs Arsenal!! .. so far back even before Wenger!!

I've already got that one on my avatar ;)

I was thinking about goal totals the other night, and realised that I've seen the whole range from 0 to 11 over the years, so I thought I'd share the most memorable - not all for the right reason :(

0. 0-0 home to Barnsley in Jan 1960. My first, and a memorably dull game even after 54 years.

1. 0-1 loss to Brighton at the Millennium May 2004. Heartbroken by the abject performance and DW's squad selection that effectively threw the game.

1-0 at Leeds Jan 1974. No more need be said.

2. 2-0 v Oldham Apr 1965. John Atyeo's goal put us in a promotion place for the first time with 5 minutes left of the season.

3. 2-1 v Hartlepool May 2004. Amazing last minute comeback. Couldn't help feeling sorry for pools fans afterwards, though.

4. 2-2 v Swindon Oct 1963. The Don Rogers team played us off the park but Atyeo saved us with a pair.

5. 4-1 v Sunderland in old Div 1 Sep 1976. We kicked off in both halves and it was on MOTD.

6. 1-5 v Wolves Nov 1994 - watched with a Wolves mate.

7. 1-6 v Wolves Nov 1999 - watched with same Wolves mate. Some people never learn.

8. 4-4 v Wrexham Jan 1978 - the only game I saw where both teams came back from two goals down and probably the start of the great slide...

9. 6-3 v Southend Apr 1963 - Bobby Williams and Barry Meyer got their only hat tricks in the first half and all nine goals were at the other (East) end. It was Barry's last game before retiring to play and umpire cricket. Not bad to go out on his sole hat-trick! City fans were booing the team for only being three goals up in the second half :(

10. 8-2 v Dartford Nov 1961 - met a guy in a Dartford pub 30 years afterwards who remembered being at the game.

And, two elevens!

11. 11-0 v Chichester Nov 1960 - the story goes that John Atyeo got a rollicking from manager Fred Ford for only scoring FIVE.

9-2 v St. Albans City Dec 1996 - notable because St. Albans set out to play football and were applauded off by city fans.

Anyone reckon I'll ever see a 12-goal thriller? I played in one once ;)

Aiz Great memories!...Was at a few although nothing before 1967 you old codger!

Thought I'd mention the Sunderland game. Mentioned it a few times on here over the years and this is the first time anyone else has brought it up!...Funny thing I was standing on the railings in the back of the Open End near where the old broadcast hut was! I didnt notice, but my mate (A Spurs fan) said Bristol have kicked off both halves!! :laugh:!! Who are ******* Bristol!!

The home 6-1's always hurt and Gabbiadini got  four (maybe five of six) for Sunderland once. How about a 5-2 home win V Millwall in the Ted Heath inspired power crisis...And four goal debut Joe Royal...12 maybe next home game??!

OK, trying to remember a 4-0 at HT. The only one I could remember was April 69 v Fulham

4-0 HT ,6-0 FT.

They were full of old timers Graham Leggett, Johnny Haynes, Tony Macedo Brian Deer. Think the average age must have been 35, god, they were poor. Remember it Alz ?

I remember that match - It was one the first times I had seen City play as a kid.

Fulham went down that season and the East End were singing "relegation to you dear Fulham" throughout the game. :P

What I remember the most was George Cohen who was awful that day. I think he had been out for about a year with a bad knee injury and was making a come back - but it was obvious he wasn't right and was finished as a player - kind of sad to see a legend from the the world cup winning team go out that way.

He deffo was, he was an old man (and looked it) retired at the end of that season.

Had a look in the Wickipedia about that - Haynes played for Fulham until 1970 while Cohen retired in March '69 due to injury - that game against City was possibly the last time Cohen ever played.

I remember that match - It was one the first times I had seen City play as a kid.

Fulham went down that season and the East End were singing "relegation to you dear Fulham" throughout the game. :P

What I remember the most was George Cohen who was awful that day. I think he had been out for about a year with a bad knee injury and was making a come back - but it was obvious he wasn't right and was finished as a player - kind of sad to see a legend from the the world cup winning team go out that way.

Whenever it comes up about the worst team you've seen down the Gate (in the last 50 odd years) that Fulham team always springs to mind, they were truely dreadful that day .

Whenever it comes up about the worst team you've seen down the Gate (in the last 50 odd years) that Fulham team always springs to mind, they were truely dreadful that day .

Very sad, because there were players in that side who'd been heroes of mine :(

Archived