IGNORED

Frank Fielding

EstoniaTallinnRed

Rich, isn't it more to the point to ask whether Fielding's reputation for it is justified.

If he does carry the ball over the line (which is a very clear breach of the rules) then the answer isn't to start complaining about other teams or players, it's simply to stop doing it and play to the rules?

It's Fieldings duty to play to the rules, I agree and was not suggesting otherwise. I was just highlighting the point that because there's been a few claims that he does carry the ball over the line, the spotlight falls on him. Other teams will make a big point of it to gain an advantage, even if those claims were unfounded in the first place, which claims usually are. We know that linesmen are renowned for not knowing anything about when a ball is kicked and when a player is offside, so unless they've improved their skills and are exactly in line with the edge of the box, they are using guesswork to make decisions, which they frequently get wrong.

PS, I wasn't complaining about other teams, I was highlighting our deficiencies compared to other teams.

It's Fieldings duty to play to the rules, I agree and was not suggesting otherwise. I was just highlighting the point that because there's been a few claims that he does carry the ball over the line, the spotlight falls on him. Other teams will make a big point of it to gain an advantage, even if those claims were unfounded in the first place, which claims usually are. We know that linesmen are renowned for not knowing anything about when a ball is kicked and when a player is offside, so unless they've improved their skills and are exactly in line with the edge of the box, they are using guesswork to make decisions, which they frequently get wrong.

PS, I wasn't complaining about other teams, I was highlighting our deficiencies compared to other teams.

spot on rich but hopefully now hes been penalised and costly at that,frankie will let go a yard earlier.wont make much difference,he hasnt exactly got elliots accuracy anyway

Disappointed with Fielding on Saturday. Teams are obviously telling their players to shoot from distance and the attempt at "saving" that free kick was awful. Must make signing a new Goalkeeper a priority in the summer.

A bit harsh. On the whole Fielding has been very good since coming back and against Port Vale and Swindon made crucial saves which would have otherwise led to us going behind vs Swindon and conceding an equaliser vs Vale.

Cotts needs to try and cut out some of these needless errors though.

A bit harsh. On the whole Fielding has been very good since coming back and against Port Vale and Swindon made crucial saves which would have otherwise led to us going behind vs Swindon and conceding an equaliser vs Vale.

Agreed, but Fielding got beaten from a point between the half way line and the penalty area for the first goal and didn't move at all for the second. The free kick WAS just about perfect but you can at least ask the question about how he set the wall up.

If you keep getting beaten from 25-30 yards thens something isn't right. Either his positioning is wrong or he has an eyesight problem causing him to react late (you might laugh but I know of a keeper playing at a very decent level who is short sighted, ignored it, and couldn't understand why he was getting beat from distance regularly. When he went to the opticians and started wearing contact lens in games he was twice the keeper - seriously!!).

I appreciate that sometimes there is nothing you can do if the quality of the strike is perfect but it is happening too often for me. The fact that opposition players are actively looking to shoot on sight at Fielding suggests to me that opposition scouts have noticed it too.

If you keep getting beaten from 25-30 yards thens something isn't right. Either his positioning is wrong or he has an eyesight problem .

It was a brilliant free kick that he had no chance of saving imo - it flew into the top corner.

Alternative view of it here;

We do seem to let in a few long range shots though - could be more to do with defenders backing off or not closing down than the keepers fault.

Is it an eyesight problem, or just Frank can't see cos the bloody wall is in the way?

Or maybe, looking at the still from the video clip above, Frank just thought the Rotherham lad was going to kick it under the wall??

It was a brilliant free kick that he had no chance of saving imo - it flew into the top corner.

Alternative view of it here;

We do seem to let in a few long range shots though - could be more to do with defenders backing off or not closing down than the keepers fault.

That free kick was pretty much unstoppable- I thought that at the time and the video reinforces it. The issue with getting beaten from distance is in my opinion because we don't close down quickly enough- be that around the box or further up the pitch. That was evident from the first goal and continued throughout the game and was in greater contrast because Rotherham did it so well. You give a footballer of any quality time and space on the edge of the box and they'll have a very good chance of getting it on target, statistics then suggest some of those are going to go in. It's been a problem all season and it needs sorting- and while we're at it, we should stop backing off and allowing players to run the ball into our box ALL THE TIME

Is it an eyesight problem, or just Frank can't see cos the bloody wall is in the way?

Or maybe, looking at the still from the video clip above, Frank just thought the Rotherham lad was going to kick it under the wall??

How on earth is Frank supposed to see, when there's a great big black rectangle with a white triangle blocking his view?

How on earth is Frank supposed to see, when there's a great big black rectangle with a white triangle blocking his view?

He could have just pressed it.  And then seen where the ball ends up.  Pressed the little black square with the reverse triangle just below his legs.  And hey presto, shot is saved.

******* amateur.

I think the wall is meant to be in the way.....

He's crouched down looking at the ball through the legs of the wall to get his positioning right I would think.

Sometimes, just sometimes, credit has to be given to the player who executes such a good free kick.

Unstoppable in my opinion, and would have beaten keepers much bigger and better than him.

Not going to argue too much about the free kick although that crouching position is a very poor starting position with his weight too far forward and gives him very little chance of making a save in the position where the ball ended up. Any keeper coach would say that.

But my concern is that he is getting beaten from distance (Shrewbury, Colchester and Rotherham off the top of my head) with shots that are not even flying in the top corner or having ridiculous swerve on them. More like halfway up the goal height which should be a comfortable saving height for keepers. Having said that I do agree that no outfield players seems to want to take responsibility for closing these shots down. Sometimes just making a movement towards the ball will put a player off shooting.

Gods sake its a great free kick should keepers stop Ronaldos,Messi Baines,etc everytime they put them in the top corner!!

They normally hit it top corner to the side of the goal the keeper is not covering. That free kick was hit to teh side Fielding was supposed to be covering. But like I said I'm more concerned about the long shots going in from open play than the free kick - the ones which are beating him halfway up the goal not the top corner.

The long distance goals that are going in....blame the non existent midfield or defence who don't close down!

In the case of the Shrewsbury and Rotherham goals at least it's more a case of the Gary Smart syndrome.

Players scoring their best ever career goals out of the blue with wonder strikes against BCFC.

He's rubbish.Never comes for the ball from a corner.routed on his line.We have always had good keepers but first time ever all 3 are shite

I wouldn't go as far as you but what I will say is that the much maligned Gerken, first choice keeper at top half Championship club, is so far better than anything we have at present it's unreal!!

There is no footage of the incident, but we seem to be fast to demonise frank.

well screw you guys i love frank he does the thing i like most in a keeper, catches the damn ball.

oh and all the goals in that game were top top drawer ;)

That free kick was pretty much unstoppable- I thought that at the time and the video reinforces it. The issue with getting beaten from distance is in my opinion because we don't close down quickly enough- be that around the box or further up the pitch. That was evident from the first goal and continued throughout the game and was in greater contrast because Rotherham did it so well. You give a footballer of any quality time and space on the edge of the box and they'll have a very good chance of getting it on target, statistics then suggest some of those are going to go in. It's been a problem all season and it needs sorting- and while we're at it, we should stop backing off and allowing players to run the ball into our box ALL THE TIME

thats what caused the second goal without doubt at colchester

Archived