IGNORED

Yeovil

prankerd

I agree that for 2/3 seasons it was fantastic, but that's slightly tempered with the fact he was given far more money to spend than any other manager has ever had at our club.

We were paying more than most other Championship clubs and some lower level Premier clubs.

As for the loan players he bought in ( the same as he has done at Yeovil this season) well a lot of those were gambles and not the signings of a top manager.

Also agree with that. It was also a bit dodgy how a lot of the play-off final losing side got contract improvements and extensions that summer that was kind of kept quiet. These players were still only 'overachievers' in my eyes and didn't warrant the contracts they were being given. I think that showed itself once we began to lose our promotion momentum and began our downward spiral.

Also agree with that. It was also a bit dodgy how a lot of the play-off final losing side got contract improvements and extensions that summer that was kind of kept quiet. These players were still only 'overachievers' in my eyes and didn't warrant the contracts they were being given. I think that showed itself once we began to lose our promotion momentum and began our downward spiral.

and also his awful record at buying decent strikers - or even strikers that were in the starting 11 for more than a season. Maynard is probably the only one that really excelled here. Clarkson, Trundle & Styvar cost mega money and flopped. Byfield, Jevons, Saborio, Agyemang, Maierhoffer, Stern John etc all very short term

He got us 90 minutes from the premier league and will always be a hero for that in my eyes. It's entirely possible we will never get that close again in my lifetime, if ever.

Plenty of managers make signings that don't work out, but ultimate responsibility for signings surely has to lie with the board, they sanction the signings surely? And the same for contact renewals and offers. I doubt GJ was given free reign to dish out contracts as he saw fit.

Is there a wage bill table that compares championship and premier league clubs... I am sure there is. Assume that's where u found such info Portland.

It seemed to be common knowledge at the time,we spent millions,SL was " going for it" and was willing to sanction signing after signing.

I seem to remember people itk saying that our wage bill was right up the top of the Championship payers.

Adebola was good yes but when we signed him what we really needed to spend on was a player to take us up! We were in auto spots at the time and our form worsened after Christmas. Teams around us spent (hull getting Frazier Campbell) which was the difference that season. Had we spent and went for it we may have gone up automatically!

I liked adebola but he wasn't quite of the calibre we needed to sustain auto promotion attempt.

Adebola got 6 goals from Jan 31 to end of the season in a side creating eff all... Not sure what more he could have done.

Adebola got 6 goals from Jan 31 to end of the season in a side creating eff all... Not sure what more he could have done.

My point wasn't about him per say but Adebola wasn't a promotion winning signing as we well know. Should have spent bigger that window and ensured we went up. Adebola was fine, but not quite the level we needed.

My point wasn't about him per say but Adebola wasn't a promotion winning signing as we well know. Should have spent bigger that window and ensured we went up. Adebola was fine, but not quite the level we needed.

We should have signed Kevin Phillips. He was in dispute with West Brom over the length of contract on offer. If we'd have steamed in with a decent offer, we'd have got him and we'd have gone up.

on the other hand,mega buck signings on huge wages would probably have put a few noses out of joint giving players reason to not put in 100% and a resulting dip in form.

That's where man Management comes into play, any side with a superstar has to encourage the other players to see that they are worth that little bit more because of what they bring to the team.

Archived