IGNORED

David Moyes - Sacked

RedM

Well, now, that's a shame.  There's been a lot of comments on here about how well Martinez has done at Everton this season, but really he's added a gloss to a team that Moyes built.  I always thought Moyes would get the ManUre job, but I never thought he was the right man.  They should have gone for Mourinho, who would have walked barefoot across glass to take it.

And I think some people are forgetting that the same David Moyes was an extremely popular player for Bristol City at the end of his playing career.  And that we tried on a number of occasions to appoint him manager.

Plus, look at his inheritance at Old Trafford:

1. A millstone of being picked as his replacement by a legend (who was still hanging around)
  2. An ageing squad full of players past their best (Evra, Vidic, Giggs, etc) and younger players who simply were never good enough (Nani, Anderson, Jones, Smalling, Buttner) - all signed by his predecessor
  3. Quality senior players (Van Persie, Rooney) who were loyal to Fergie and unimpressed by Moyes
  4. Ridiculous expectations
  5. Revitalised opponents: Liverpool finally coming good, Chelsea with an excellent squad and Mourinho out to prove a point to ManUre and Abramovich
  6. An inexperienced executive team without a decent leader who failed to bring off any major deals - apart from the panic buy of Fellaini - and it's no good laying all that at Moyes' door, he doesn't make the signings at ManUre

Yes, he made errors - dumping the whole backroom team, pursuing Baines, etc - but I think United have had a rotten season coming for some time and only Fergie's sheer dynamism and his character drove them on.

There are parallels between Moyes and when Brian Clough came in and managed Leeds United after Don Revie.

Senior players resistant to change, immune to criticism after past glories and reluctance to fight for the boss.

Moyes has been hung out to dry and this must be incredibly embarrassing for him but I expect he will go on to be successful elsewhere.

So where is he going to rebuild his career?

Would he be willing to drop down to League One?

Come back to Bristol, David...

Cotterill out.

Moyes in!

I can confidentially inform you that he will be managing the Gas for their last two games in the Football League.

There are parallels between Moyes and when Brian Clough came in and managed Leeds United after Don Revie.

Senior players resistant to change, immune to criticism after past glories and reluctance to fight for the boss.

Moyes has been hung out to dry and this must be incredibly embarrassing for him but I expect he will go on to be successful elsewhere.

You have literally taken the words out of my mouth! Many parallels indeed. Could we be witnessing the events of the modern day Damned United unfold?

I don't think he needs to feel embarrassed at all, and doubt that he does. He didn't ask for the job, they (Fergie) chose him and then didn't have the backing... just because he wasn't Fergie. It would have happened to any manager who went there, even the most experienced would not have found the job easy.

As time goes on it will get easier, senior players who are used to Fergie's ways, and only Fergie's ways will be gone. Unless as is reported that Giggs will have a long term role.

The time for Moyes to go to Man U would be now, the manager AFTER, the manager who replaced Fergie, or even the next one after that. Fergie really is a wily old sod, knew just when to jump ship yet still be thought of as God.

Ridiculously short sighted

• Moyes given 2 transfer windows to bring in his own guys
  • Squad of substandard players who fergie could get the best from
  • Moyes hasn't had to juggle premier league and champions league before
  • Van Persie and Rooney clearly not the unit they were last season
  • Look what Liverpool did without Europe this season

Moyes deserved a second season at least to get Utd going.

I don't think he needs to feel embarrassed at all, and doubt that he does. He didn't ask for the job, they (Fergie) chose him and then didn't have the backing... just because he wasn't Fergie. It would have happened to any manager who went there, even the most experienced would not have found the job easy.

As time goes on it will get easier, senior players who are used to Fergie's ways, and only Fergie's ways will be gone. Unless as is reported that Giggs will have a long term role.

The time for Moyes to go to Man U would be now, the manager AFTER, the manager who replaced Fergie, or even the next one after that. Fergie really is a wily old sod, knew just when to jump ship yet still be thought of as God.

Agree he doesn't "Need" to feel embarrassed, as you said I don't he was sufficiently supported although there are things he will need to take responsibility for, replacing the majority of the staff for example.

I think even though he probably doesn't need to, he will feel embarrassed, he's essentially failed and been lampooned in every possible way.

Whether you've been fired from macdonalds or Manchester United, you still been fired, and that can't feel great.

I feel sorry for Moyesie, that was a hospital pass from Ferguson.

The team needed to be rebuilt again. I think Ferguson did it successfully at least 3 times before but didnt either have the heart or the miles left on the clock to do it again.

I said to my uncle watching United on sunday when the team came up on the screen that the United side looked exactly about where they are top 6/7.

Look at their side and look at Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. Look at the back 4?

It's nowhere near in the same league.

He inherited a club needing to be rebuilt and he's been given hardly any time to do it.

However he must own the Felaini transfer - that was overpriced nonsense.

You have literally taken the words out of my mouth! Many parallels indeed. Could we be witnessing the events of the modern day Damned United unfold?

Exactly my thoughts. Whoever took the job would have struggled. Today feels a little sad. 1986 the last time united sacked a manager? Itwas one of those clubs who I thought wdre not like the other clubs who sack their way to success and gave their managers time.

But the players are to blame here. The only one to come out of this with any credit is surprisingly Rooney.

Exactly my thoughts. Whoever took the job would have struggled. Today feels a little sad. 1986 the last time united sacked a manager? Itwas one of those clubs who I thought wdre not like the other clubs who sack their way to success and gave their managers time.

But the players are to blame here. The only one to come out of this with any credit is surprisingly Rooney.

Maybe not so surprising when you think that Moyes played a huge part in putting him on the map in the first place. But you are right, love him or hate him, Rooney always puts in a shift. It's the other ego's that let Moyes down. Roy Keane was correct though - there are five or six getting a fairly regular game who are not up to playing for Manchester United.

One plus point for Moyes, think of the pay off he's just received having been on a long term contract.

They only have to pay him one year for not making the Champions league.

On Moyes. He was out of his depth and under qualified for the job. Some of his post and before match statements were clueless.

Maybe not so surprising when you think that Moyes played a huge part in putting him on the map in the first place. But you are right, love him or hate him, Rooney always puts in a shift. It's the other ego's that let Moyes down. Roy Keane was correct though - there are five or six getting a fairly regular game who are not up to playing for Manchester United.

I think if we, as outsiders, are trying to identify problematic players that have contributed to Moyes sacking, we have to surely include Rooney? He played his cards well and manoeuvred himself into a position where his financial gain and longevity of contract would make him an equally as powerful figure at the club as Moyes - I Always felt that the effort Moyes out into keeping Rooney should've been put into rebuilding the team with fresh new players who weren't loyal to the old regime. After all, if you're going to change the backroom staff, eventually the on field staff will have to follow suit.

I wonder where Man Utd would be in the table if Saint Alex were still there.I still think they were on a downhill slide anyway.Still we can always look back on the Great Ones achievements.My personal favourite is how he turned his team from maybe the countrys(worlds?) most respected into possibly the most hated.

That makes no sense

Interesting that Phil McNulty on the BBC reckons Moyes pulled out of deals already in place to sign Thiago Alcantara and Ezequiel Garay when he arrived. If so, then he's only got himself to blame. Is Thiago better than Cleverley. Undoubtedly. Is Garay better than Smalling? Undoubtedly. I wonder how much different the season would have been if those two players had been in place from the start of the season

• Moyes given 2 transfer windows to bring in his own guys
  • Squad of substandard players who fergie could get the best from
  • Moyes hasn't had to juggle premier league and champions league before
  • Van Persie and Rooney clearly not the unit they were last season
  • Look what Liverpool did without Europe this season

I disagree. There's plenty of talent in that United squad, just like there was plenty of talent in Bristol City's squad last season. You just need a good manager to get the best out of players. In one season at Everton, Roberto Martinez has highlighted Moyes' limitations.

Dear BBC. I'm a football fan. I've supported my local club since I was a nipper. By definition I really couldn't care less what the Australian supporters branch of MUFC thinks of wotsisname's departure.

The majority of football fans don't have any interest in the top 4 clubs. Really, they don't. Your interview with 2 'fans' in Somalia and Oman on Radio 5 this morning endears the club to me in no way whatsoever. Their opinions are irrelevant to news content.

MUFC 'supporters' would support a headless chicken in a farmyard race, so long as it wears red and, more importantly, wins. They have nothing to do with supporting the game.

I am yet to meet a MUFC 'supporter' who knows the division in which Rochdale, Shrewsbury or Torquay play. They should - these clubs are the bread and butter of the game.

Publicly admitting to being a MUFC fan is an admission of failure. A simple sign of seeking success, neatly placed where sporting and local loyalties should lie.

I spoke to a 15 year old Man U 'fan' the other day.  I told him I was a City fan. His retort?  "Oh, what division do they play in then?"

Man U fan, maybe.  Football fan? Nope.

Interesting that Phil McNulty on the BBC reckons Moyes pulled out of deals already in place to sign Thiago Alcantara and Ezequiel Garay when he arrived. If so, then he's only got himself to blame. Is Thiago better than Cleverley. Undoubtedly. Is Garay better than Smalling? Undoubtedly. I wonder how much different the season would have been if those two players had been in place from the start of the season

His nickname at Everton was "Dithering Dave" because of the amount of time it took him to decide whether he wanted a player or not.

The rumour doing the rounds was that it wasn't his decision to sign Mata either, it was the board who were desperate to regain some credibility after what happened during the summer window, where they spent all summer going after the likes of Fabregas, only to end up overpaying for Fellaini at the last minute.

• Moyes given 2 transfer windows to bring in his own guys - In which he over spent on Fellani, signed Mata who wasn't a priority and generally failed big time
  • Squad of substandard players who fergie could get the best from - Many were substandard but there is more depth than say Liverpool, and he had 2 transfer windows.
  • Moyes hasn't had to juggle premier league and champions league before - But United have. 
  • Van Persie and Rooney clearly not the unit they were last season - Whose fault for not motivating them. 
  • Look what Liverpool did without Europe this season  - And look at Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal who are still in the top 4 with both.

I've reasoned against all your points. Can you now give me points in what he has done well at Utd.

Archived