IGNORED

F.A. Restructuring - Premier League B teams (Merged)

ashton_fan

In Germany the reserves of the Bundesliga teams play in regional leagues and are allowed to compete in their FA Cup. Arrangements are made so a club does not meet it's reserves in a cup game, but sometimes a reserve team (thanks to an easy draw) progresses further than the first team.

In Germany the reserves of the Bundesliga teams play in regional leagues and are allowed to compete in their FA Cup. Arrangements are made so a club does not meet it's reserves in a cup game, but sometimes a reserve team (thanks to an easy draw) progresses further than the first team.

One of my concerns is that if this crackpot plan sees the light of day something similar will happen in the FA Cup. One of its strengths is the draw isn't seeded. It would have to be contrived.

The sooner this idea is binned the better.

Total dog of an idea. While it's tempting to want to see another tier shoved between Rovers and us, we need to consider the far bigger picture here.

I've never bought into this idea of the Premier League being "The Greatest League in the World" (trademark Sky) and even if it is the paucity of English players means it leaves me cold anyway.

Where English football truly is peerless, though, is in the strength of the Pyramid from top to bottom. You can go five, six divisions down depending on the game and still get a proper football experience and good crowds & atmosphere. Then there's the FA Cup, which still manages to produce its fair share of shock results season in, season out, despite the yawning chasm between the Premier League moneybags and the rest. I went to Melksham Town v Devizes Town one Good Friday in the 1990s (I couldn't even tell you how many leagues there are between them and the FL) and there were a good 300 people in attendance.

This is being missold to the fans as a way of bolstering the fortunes of the England team. Now, anything that benefits the England team is OK by me WITHIN REASON, but even if this was guaranteed to make us competitive and not utterly painful to watch I would be bitterly opposed to it. Anyway, I fail to see how it is going to benefit the England team. The way you do that is by giving more young English talent the opportunity to play at the highest level.

No, this is all about pandering to the whims of the big clubs. It will be disastrous if it happens - I can see it being a slippery slope to bringing an end to relegation and the FA Cup - a wonderful tournament that has already been treated like absolute dogsmuck by the powers that be and the top clubs - will be completely neutered. Watch this suggestion re-open the possibility of the Glasgow clubs joining the English league too. 

What happened to the Combination League? Bring back the reserves there if necessary. Besides, the Premier League big guns have such massive squads now and play so many games that they have ample opportunity to give the young'uns a run-out - for example, a lot of clubs field reserve sides in League Cup ties.

If you want a radical notion, how about scrapping the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup and having all teams, from Manchester City to the smallest team in the pyramid, enter at the same time. The grassroots clubs would get a crack at the big boys, and the greedy sods at the top could finally give something back to the grassroots.

This proposal is beyond cretinous. The Premier League almost killed English football at the grassroots level. I hope we're not about to let Dyke et al finish the job.

English football is indeed peerless in terms of its strength in depth. The top five tiers of English football would wipe the floor with any other country's top 5.

Horrific.

So the elite would be allowed to trample all over the lower echelons just because english talent is not getting through? The likes of cheltenham, Bury, and even the Gas should be treated with exactly the same respect as the top clubs of this country. One has no more right than the other.

How about dealing with the core issue here by sticking a proper cap on foreign players per team, so that the domestic talent is naturally allowed to progress...

Oh I forgot, that would mean the EPL losing it's perceived attractiveness and it's global no 1 status.

In short, it all boils down to money at the top (again), with little thought for everyone else.

Quality post mate. Absolutely bang on.

When I first fell in love with football the thought of finishing in fourth place was certainly not considered a success but as you say.....money. More important than anything in the game now. Sadly it won't ever change and those at the top will try and find all sorts of loop holes to keep the premiership as a global brand.

Chelsea are a fine example of everything that is wrong in the modern game. 

I thought the Premier League was meant to be of benefit to the England team.....

Yup that's how it was sold to the public, in reality it only benefited Rupert Murdoch, players, agents and a handful of big clubs.

I think the only way it could work is if it had its own league, seperate from our current pyramid structure. How successful it would be will always depend on how much tv/media coverage it has, and how much money it would be worth to teams. Imagine if it were to take the place of the conference, it would probably get more air time and tv money than league 1 and 2!

also it would need seriously strict rules on how many players must be English, like 90% of the squad or something, or it would never help the national side

So as I understand it the structure change would be this:

A)

Premier League
??
Championship
??
League One
??            ??
League Two South    League Two North
??
Conference Premier
??                                ??
Conference South      Conference North

Divide league 2 into north and south divisions equally then add 12 "B" teams into each division.  

OR

B)

Premier League
??
Championship
??
League One
?? 
League Two
?? 
League Three (Initial B League)
??  
Conference Premier
??                                ??
Conference South      Conference North

So as I understand it the structure change would be this:

A)

Premier League

??

Championship

??

League One

?? ??

League Two South League Two North

??

Conference Premier

?? ??

Conference South Conference North

Divide league 2 into north and south divisions equally then add 12 "B" teams into each division.

OR

B)

Premier League

??

Championship

??

League One

??

League Two

??

League Three (Initial B League)

??

Conference Premier

?? ??

I prefer the 2nd one, sags get relegated further then hahaha

Premier League

??

Championship

??

League One

??

League Two

??

League Three (Initial B League for prem)

??

League Four (Initial B League for championship)

??

Conference Premier

?? ??

Wouldn't it look like this?

Whatever it looks like it would kill the game IMO.

I thought the Premier League was meant to be of benefit to the England team.....

This.

The formation of the premier league was always and only about money and I will never believe a word any of football's big wigs spout when it comes to changes mooted that are anything to do with the premier league or premier league clubs.

For you younger Members of this forum...

Until the late 1980's there were there were 22 teams in Divisions 1 and 2 with 24 in divisions 3 and 4. At the League's AGM clubs in the top two divisions had one vote each whilst those in the lower two had just four votes between them. All league gate receipts were split three ways; the home team kept the majority, some went to the visitors and the third lot went into a league kitty. At the end of the season that kitty was divided into 92 equal parts, one for each club.

The clubs in the lower two divisions then demanded equal votes and the clubs in the upper twoagreed in principle, but wanted league status to be reflected. As a result clubs in Div 4 got one vote each, Div 3 - 3 votes each, Div 2 - 6 votes each whilst those in Div 1 had 12 votes each. Do the sums; the 22 clubs in Div 1 if acting unanimously, could out vote the other 70 teams in the League. At the same time it was decided from then on each team would keep 100% of it's gate receipts. Then ITV won exclusive rights to show league football and concentrated on just six clubs then in Div 1. They obviously considered themselves superior to the rest and a few years later the clubs then in Div 1 broke away to form their Premiership.

Most of the top teams have young foreign players in there reserve teams anyway.

This wouldn't solve anything.

I tend to agree up to a point. I believe the intentions of the FA are not, as many seem to be ranting one of 'pigs in a trough'; likely they have the best intentions of the national game at heart having seen ALL other major nations and Holland and Belgium surpass the consistency of standard we seem to dish up.

I salute them for at the very least trying to find a solution and looking at the models overseas which do, in fact, adopt this type of system.

That said you are right Bill that it would have less of an impact here, at least in theory, because our game is more international in its make up than any other.

So what to do? Ditch the idea completely? No, I believe something could be done that does benefit the national game significantly enough that a relative level of downside could offset. What that is remains open to debate and conjecture. I suppose a parallel league apparatus could be set up that does not affect the lower league clubs could it not? Something we already have, or did have, in the Football Combination.. can this not be somehow made more competitive and beneficial to the national game?

One final point here is that to offset the undoubted plethora of foreign youngsters in the B teams of the best clubs and to not unduly benefit their own nations we could limit the number of them in a given squad or first 11 to just 3 players. No doubt Platini would say that is illegal due to EU rules... another reason to ditch membership ;)

This.

The formation of the premier league was always and only about money and I will never believe a word any of football's big wigs spout when it comes to changes mooted that are anything to do with the premier league or premier league clubs.

P.S. Just read on teletext that the club finishing bottom of the prem this season will receive more money than did last season's champions, Man U!

Good thing it was never about money.

This is a death knell for lower league English football.

Bristol City Vs Liverpool B. Umm no thanks.

I do like the idea of partnerships though (A prem club can loan a lower league side 8 players). It seems less invasive than changing the structure and adding b teams.

I'm hoping common sense will prevail, as frankly **** the England team and the FA, who are the beneficiaries of this proposed change to the league format.

This just in from the BBC: 'The creation of a new tier within the Football League to accommodate Premier League B teams is at the heart of the Football Association commission's four-point plan to boost English football.'

I am sure this is worthy of serious debate: haven't we got enough teams already? It will mean that the prem teams suck up even more of the young talent.

On a less serious note, will Rovers become the Cheltenham B team?

When it says no non-EU players what does that mean for the likes of Marv and El-Abd? Born in England but play for countries outside the EU, I honestly don't know anything about it, when you play for a different country do you need to do something like get a passport for that country?

Can't see it happening. I'd imagine the majority of the 72 FL clubs would vote against it.

Not even sure how it would work. If it's only for B teams of premier clubs, what happens when a team is relegated from the prem? Is their B team removed from 'League 3' and replaced with a team going up?

It works abroad because they have fewer clubs, don't see it working here at all.

Archived