IGNORED

F.A. Restructuring - Premier League B teams (Merged)

ashton_fan

When it says no non-EU players what does that mean for the likes of Marv and El-Abd? Born in England but play for countries outside the EU, I honestly don't know anything about it, when you play for a different country do you need to do something like get a passport for that country?

it wouldn't affect them, as they are still British citizens.

• Admin

As much as I initially dislike the idea, we have to remember this is going to hit the Conference Premier the hardest, and those leagues below that.

The season that this comes into play, the 10 B teams will join the league, along with the two that dropped out of the league along with the 8 highest placed teams from the conference.

To be honest splitting the leagues like this has happened a few times recently, no more so than when the Conferenece North and South were created.

I can remember Weston winning their league, the following year finishing in the top half and boom, two promotions in two seasons.

If the games are played at the home grounds of the Prem sides, the conference teams will have a great time playing at the likes of Old Trafford / Emirates / Etihad etc.

The hardest part and I've not seen this written anywhere yet is what happens to the 14 lowest placed sides in the conference ?

It will mean pushing teams down the leagues and essentially undoing what I referred to above.

I actually see the not letting the younger players go out on loan to league clubs as a good thing - if a team brings in a number of fringe players it could be deemed an unfair advantage?

One thing it will do is create massive squads for those 10 Prem sides who will have the B team

As much as I initially dislike the idea, we have to remember this is going to hit the Conference Premier the hardest, and those leagues below that.

The season that this comes into play, the 10 B teams will join the league, along with the two that dropped out of the league along with the 8 highest placed teams from the conference.

To be honest splitting the leagues like this has happened a few times recently, no more so than when the Conferenece North and South were created.

I can remember Weston winning their league, the following year finishing in the top half and boom, two promotions in two seasons.

If the games are played at the home grounds of the Prem sides, the conference teams will have a great time playing at the likes of Old Trafford / Emirates / Etihad etc.

The hardest part and I've not seen this written anywhere yet is what happens to the 14 lowest placed sides in the conference ?

It will mean pushing teams down the leagues and essentially undoing what I referred to above.

I actually see the not letting the younger players go out on loan to league clubs as a good thing - if a team brings in a number of fringe players it could be deemed an unfair advantage?

One thing it will do is create massive squads for those 10 Prem sides who will have the B team

And let's not forget that they already stockpile players that they've little or no intention of playing. I'm convinced that some teams buy players just so that other clubs can't have them. 

When it says no non-EU players what does that mean for the likes of Marv and El-Abd? Born in England but play for countries outside the EU, I honestly don't know anything about it, when you play for a different country do you need to do something like get a passport for that country?

They would both count as home-grown, as they were born here and their football education was all done here.

Yes, but not to the championship. So does that mean that we could have a team finishing 12th in league 1 getting promoted?

So as it stands, we could indeed play a Liverpool B team in a few years time, as Barrs Court intimated.

And yes, if all these B teams rise to League 1, and all finish in the top 10, a team could, theoretically, finish 11th and get promotion.

If the FA really wanted to improve English football and get more youngsters playing and moving into the England team they need to grow some balls and introduce quotas of ages and nationalities into the Prem. Stop teams like Chelsea and Man City etc buying players from here there and everywhere and force them to play some English talent. That's the only real way to do it. This introduction of a new league is just to show that the FA is doing something and isn't completely spineless when it comes to football and this country.

It wouldn't be good for the lower leagues but since when did the FA/Prem care about that!!

Looks like I'm the only one so far who thinks it will be a good idea...only if certain regulations were put in place.

I'm all for the development of young English footballers, and I really do think it needs something like this, to shake up English football.

We rely too much on our history and traditions and we have rested on our laurels.

Young developing English players need better coaching and better competition in games.

The one thing I would insist on, is that their was a limit to foreign players being allowed in the teams.

I see this for the good of the National game.

I've watched quiet a bit of Reserve team football over the years, especially from some of the bigger Clubs.

The Standard of football is very good.

Technically, the players are better than most teams in League 1 and below.

They generally lack the physical strengths of the League team...that's where they will gain much needed experience.

You only had to witness the Glos Cup final... City v Mangoes...to see that our young players were technically and better organised and tactically aware...but they lost out to 'Men'...who put a shift in and physically out muscled them...as well as using experience.

I also feel that it will be positive to other teams in the leagues...as the quality of 'Football' will improve.

Teams over a season, will realise they can't purely out muscle these development teams. They would have to improve their footballing skills too.

It doesn't surprise me that Dario Gradi, Glenn Hoddle and Howard Wilkinson are behind this...they are all very forward thinking coaches and good for the English game.

Seeing young English lads develop and play good football is a joy to watch. Watching their progress is half the fun.

Anyone who watches development/Reserve team football will know this. Give it a go...it brings you closer to your Club. It definitely feels more grass roots and connected.

I used to watch Man Utd Reserves regularly. You could sit in the Main stand anywhere you liked. I often sat behind Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and listened in to his comments and chats with the coach. Alex Ferguson and Bobby Charlton would often watch and openly mix and be happy to talk to the fans...plus, you get to meet many former players, Coaches and Scouts watching from other Clubs... all in all, a good footballing experience.

I can only see positives from the idea, as long as it's not abused and structured properly.

Don't allow loads of foreign youngsters in the teams and I will be happy.

Wouldn't it be great if City got promoted to the Championship and were allowed to have their B team playing above the Gas ;)  :thumbsup:

Shocking idea.

Was this really an exhaustive review??? More like how can we give the Premiership more control of English football.

If you want more English players playing a higher level of football, then restrict the number of overseas players in a league match-day squad to 4. Clubs can still employ as many overseas players as they want thus fulfilling any EU freedom of movement rules, but they are forced to play English players on match days.

Of course the Premiership won't do that as it dilutes their product as far as TV revenue streams are concerned.

The FA won't do it because they don't have the balls or the power to standup to the Premiership.

Some of the suggestions seem more like restrictions to prevent the lower league teams progressing up to the "Pantomineship", such as only teams in the Premiership can purchase players on non-EU visas.

I read on the BBC that the B-league would be made up of 10 B teams and 10 from the Conference, who would determine what clubs make up the B-team? You can bet it wouldn't contain Stoke, Aston Villa, Sunderland, West Ham and the other lower end premiership teams.

If you must have a B league then why not simply a mirror premiership B league, play on a Thursday night, sell the TV rights to Dave, ITV 4 or some other satellite channel, and make it competitive by removing goal difference from end of season calculations.

The Premiership - killing football stone-dead

How about we go with this but we have a league within a league so the points the B gets wont go onto the actual league one table but onto a league one B table? This way league tables will look more realistic and avoid the 11th place team being champions and it would give the B teams something to play for.

Some years ago the then Manager or Germany requested that all Bundesliga clubs must have at least two German player under the age of 21 on the pitch at any time. This was to develop their own youngsters and thus strengthen the national team.Guess what; the clubs rejected that idea.

The final blow.

It has been coming, sure this might help the premier league, or the England national side, but the Fa are missing the point.

We love football, not just the premier league, or the national side.

I ask everyone to say no to this, should fans be consulted. It will kill off the lower leagues. The pyramid that is unique to our English game, will no longer be here, the same pyramid that plays a big part in making English football so entertaining.

I don't know about you, but coming 12th and going up, and having our league full of Manchester United B teams, or Burnley U21s is not what I want. Where has the passion gone? They're missing the point.

Evil idea - we have a great lower league and non-league system - why wreck it with empty premier league grounds and their disinterested reserve teams?

Premiership Reserves rarely play "at home" In the past Arsenal have used Barnet's ground and Man U used Bury's for their reserves whilst Chelsea used Aldershot for their youth team. We can look forward to playing unwanted oppos in an unfancied ground.

There's already enough teams we don't need anymore. If the fa want to make some meaningful changes how about stopping the top clubs signing all these young foreign kids and invest money into grass roots football and limit the about of foreign players in any given league.

All the top young players from the premier leauge get loaned out anyway to play competive football so adding more teams isn't going to make much of a diffrence. The bit about Spain have it and it's part of the reason they are so good now, well the b leauge in spain has been going for 50+ years and it's only been succesful the past 10 years. The fa said the same thing when France were so good about setting up a natianal accamdey well France have been really good and carried on the succes they had haven't they after going through thier purple patch.

Honestly I think Greg Dyke needs to step down get someone younger in who has fresh unique ideas on how to move English football on not copying other countries.

What's wrong with loaning the little darlings out as has been done for as long as I can remember?.

How can you say "We want young players to be playing at the top level" and then restrict them to L1 and below?.

Complete load of bollocks IMO and just another chance for the top 4 to royally shaft lower league clubs.

But we all know that the wimps at the FL will bend over and take one for the National team.....don't we.

How would this work with FFP?

Could we end up with 20 B teams in league 1?

What happen to a B team who's parent club get relegated from the prem, that's assuming they don't close that door next.

So teams would be promoted from league 2 ( because 3 of the remaining actual league teams would have gone down) to the championship as B teams can't be promoted that high, and vice versus, surely it would financially cripple most clubs going down and those going up won't be able to compete!

Have they really thought this through!

Can't be assed to read all the mumbo jumbo about how it would work. All I know is I'm dead against anything that involves reserve teams.

The FL has been going 100 odd years. It's about local pride, village v village, town v town, city v city. Don't matter how good or poor these teams may be, it's the BEST they've got, not some poncy PL team daneing to send their unwanted over paid oiks to some place to make up the numbers!

I tell you ,if we were ever involved playing against someones' B team, THAT'S the time I would call it a day!

**** off Dyke !

Archived