IGNORED

What Do Players Really Think Of Bcfc?

allyolly

It seems like it is the time of year for departing players to have a few words put in their mouths about their time at the club. Its all fairly predictable i.e. thanking the fans, wishing us all the best and predicting a bright future etc etc.

So what do you reckon pro players really do think of our club and what would they say to a prospective team mate considering joining us?

Like every club, when the clubs doing well it's a great place to be at, fans are friendly, everyones supportive etc..

But when things are going bad crowd criticism will be much more clearer to the players, and this have a big impact if they enjoyed their stay or not

I'm sure if he was legally allowed Fontaine would call us a bunch of *****..

Opinion of a now departed player was that we should **** off and support someone else. This was when things were awful last season, though.

Think tbh it's just a job to most players. Like the rest op the population, some people are generally happy in their jobs and some aren't.

Money and prestige is irrelevant to job satisfaction.

If they want praise they should equally accept criticism.

They generally get what they deserve, despite their own inflated view of their personal performances.

They are as soft as a lorry load of marshmallows. Wouldn't survive 10 minutes playing rugby.

Opinion of a now departed player was that we should **** off and support someone else. This was when things were awful last season, though.

Think tbh it's just a job to most players. Like the rest op the population, some people are generally happy in their jobs and some aren't.

Money and prestige is irrelevant to job satisfaction.

i think I read an interview with a spurs player at the time saying he didn't even like football only did it cause he was good at it and it paid well!

Quite a few players over the years have moved from other parts of the country and settled here - Tom Ritchie, Don Gillies, Gerry Sweeney, Gerry Gow, all from Scotland are still around the area I believe and quite a few more - maybe we should get a list going.

Some players have been happy at BCFC and some have not - but doesn't that apply with any club, or employer for that matter.

Happiness and success are a vicious circle, one leads to the other, leads to the other - just need to get the ball rolling and it can snowball.

Quite a few players over the years have moved from other parts of the country and settled here - Tom Ritchie, Don Gillies, Gerry Sweeney, Gerry Gow, all from Scotland are still around the area I believe and quite a few more - maybe we should get a list going.

Some players have been happy at BCFC and some have not - but doesn't that apply with any club, or employer for that matter.

Happiness and success are a vicious circle, one leads to the other, leads to the other - just need to get the ball rolling and it can snowball.

It's no surprise really... Bristol as we know, is the best City in England to live in.

What you do find is, it is the areas traditionally from poor areas that have the most success generally.

It's often been muted that it just too nice here to get motivated...if there is any truth in that...who knows...but it certainly shouldn't be overlooked.

Most of them seem to like living in Bristol, but that's half the problem in my view. We need players who want to sweat blood for the shirt, not guys content to keep the missus happy by living in a nice city.

It's often been muted that it just too nice here to get motivated...if there is any truth in that...who knows...but it certainly shouldn't be overlooked.

I remember seeing a quote from one of our recent bosses (I think it was McInnes) from a Fans Q&A thing making this exact point. He said that Bristol City had long had a reputation throughout the footballing world as a 'nice' place to play - good city to live in, reasonably well paid, decent sized fanbase etc - but that didn't always attract the right sort of player.

spoke to damian stewart, the useless CB we signed from QPR, he loved it here! He actually called our club "a bunch of mugs" to my face in town one night  cause by his own admission he didnt believe he was good enough to be on the money he was on! laughed it off, bought me a drink and buggard off! :facepalm:  

spoke to damian stewart, the useless CB we signed from QPR, he loved it here! He actually called our club "a bunch of mugs" to my face in town one night  cause by his own admission he didnt believe he was good enough to be on the money he was on! laughed it off, bought me a drink and buggard off! :facepalm:  

I should imagine El Abd is thinking the same....

Most of them seem to like living in Bristol, but that's half the problem in my view. We need players who want to sweat blood for the shirt, not guys content to keep the missus happy by living in a nice city.

Can't blame them for liking Bristol mind. A lot of ex players end up staying in the area too. Not really a problem though.

There is an article in the Sunday Times about Liam Rosenior. A brief part mentions his time at City and he says he endured bullying because his father was manager, his boots were cut up, certain parents didn't speak to him and he felt like an outcast. He obviously doesn't think much about City but how much truth is there in what he says?

Nope, I don't really like what I do but I'm (apparently) pretty good at it and get paid a good wedge so there's little incentive to do something else. Sad really but a fact of life for many so why would footballers be any different?

In Karl Pilkington's words: "It's best not to be good at anything, that way you don't get held back".

He also said: "No one gets anything done by planning".

Love that boy.

I remember seeing a quote from one of our recent bosses (I think it was McInnes) from a Fans Q&A thing making this exact point. He said that Bristol City had long had a reputation throughout the footballing world as a 'nice' place to play - good city to live in, reasonably well paid, decent sized fanbase etc - but that didn't always attract the right sort of player.

I believe it was "he whose name we shall not speak" .

I think you're talking about the South Bristol Retirement Home for ex-Footballers.

i think I read an interview with a spurs player at the time saying he didn't even like football only did it cause he was good at it and it paid well!

This was from Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Not only has he made a career out of doing something that he happens to be "good" at but he'll also be getting a nice trip to Brazil this summer. Alright for some!

This was from Benoit Assou-Ekotto. Not only has he made a career out of doing something that he happens to be "good" at but he'll also be getting a nice trip to Brazil this summer. Alright for some!

Aye, given a gift that pays him well, but he doesn't enjoy it. Drives around In a smart car. Sensible bloke. No flash cars buys classics that will go up in price. Bought houses in france outright that then pay for his rent in London.

Head screwed on this lad, not pissing it up against the wall like others.

There is an article in the Sunday Times about Liam Rosenior. A brief part mentions his time at City and he says he endured bullying because his father was manager, his boots were cut up, certain parents didn't speak to him and he felt like an outcast. He obviously doesn't think much about City but how much truth is there in what he says?

I had the misfortune of spending a bit of time with Liam around the time he left us as he was seeing a girl who was best mates with my Mrs at the time.

All I will say about him is that any form of bullying he was subject to, he will have fully deserved.

Archived