IGNORED

England World Cup Squad

Super

And that's why that ass wipe Dyke wants to introduce B teams, backward thinking.

He's turned his back on England, time to move on. I'm not a fan of Smalling and would have taken Stones or Caulker for the experience, but I'd never go back to JT.

Agree it's slightly backward thinking, regardless of who said it - but his justification was you need experience around the squad and if we are 1-0 up and holding on, I would happily throw John Terry on as opposed to a younger CB - one more tournament and that man will be Cahill.

To be fair, it was a loaded question on Soccer Am - we don't need to take Jones and Smalling, Jones maybe for his versatility but he's a real jack-of-all trades, master of none at the moment

What the hell has Wilshere done this year to deserve his place, he's been woeful this year. Another top four club player that is perceived as being 'great' for no reason. Can't him and Ramsey swap nationalities?

Wilshire is a superb player. He's hardly keeping anyone better out of the squad is he?

Compared to who?

It looks blatantly ordinary to me,I wonder how many of those would even get in a Premier league eleven!

Of course we are ordinary, we have no right to pretend otherwise!

The sooner we accept we are a run of the mill international team the better. There's been a self entitlement in the English mindset for years. Let's get behind a young emerging English teams and see what happens.

Unlike Mr Cole, I've yet to receive a phone call from Roy telling me I'm not going to Rio so I've still got my fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed:

In case I don't make it in to the final 30 I'd just like to announce my retirement from international football after this World Cup. I will remain on standby just should there be any injuries until then.

;)

MR,

It's OK. Roy has just phoned me to explain that I'm not going (said I had lost a bit of pace at aged 60, or some such rubbish) and knowing I was on OTIB, asked me to pass on the message that you aren't going either - The FA are on a cost cutting push at the moment!

He added that you might as well announce your retirement as Douglas Bader is ahead of you on the standby list.

Of course we are ordinary, we have no right to pretend otherwise!

The sooner we accept we are a run of the mill international team the better. There's been a self entitlement in the English mindset for years. Let's get behind a young emerging English teams and see what happens.

I was responding to a post which said we have a "strong" squad!

What the hell has Wilshere done this year to deserve his place, he's been woeful this year. Another top four club player that is perceived as being 'great' for no reason. Can't him and Ramsey swap nationalities?

He's hardly set the world alight, but he's hardly been woeful..

Compared to who?

It looks blatantly ordinary to me,I wonder how many of those would even get in a Premier league eleven!

I said it's "relatively" strong, and I stand by that. There are very few *strong* squads out there now, and we only look very weak in defence, the rest isn't too bad. The same could be said to Argentina and Brazil in all fairness, though going forward they are much stronger. Aside from the elite (Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany), the rest are either behind us or just ahead of us. No way in hell are the likes of France and Uruguay better than us tbh, the Netherlands are roughly where we are, and Italy are the only team out of the top 4 that are ahead of us imo.

Not bad. Some real talent and potential in there, whether it's possible for hodgson to create a competitive side capable of getting out of the group I'm not sure...

Defence worries me. Cahill is probably our strongest centre back, and he hasn't always really carried his club form onto the international level. Jagielka the same. I think we will concede a few! Just hope we can rely on the guys up the other end to do the business.

This must be the first world cup that I can remember where I'm not excited. It is nearly upon us yet this is the first thought I have given it. Usually I'm chomping at the bit from at least christmas onwards...

Milner for god sake! But other than that you cant really argue! If Carroll went I wouldnt have been impressed and fair play to Lambert!

Who would you have taken over Milner? Man City play him most games and have deemed him good enough in a title winning squad. Very underrated player.

Who would you have taken over Milner? Man City play him most games and have deemed him good enough in a title winning squad. Very underrated player.

Not a fan of Milners, I struggle to see what he offers, however he has 2x PL winners medals an FA and League cup win - so if ManuelP things he's good enough to be in his squad of world class players and play fairly regularly then we need to accept that.

Pretty much an expected squad then.

But Welbeck? Why?? Whats he done this season?

If we want to bring youngsters I would rather have seen a surprising call up like Wickham, Gayle or even Ings. I mean its our 4th choice striker, why not?

Huddlestone should but wont

Good player but not international standard, I think Roy seems to have got it right from what I have read/heard so far. A good mix of experienced heads and a few younger exciting players. At the end of the day he's always going to get criticism from some quarters dependent on who he takes/leaves behind and tbh it doesn't really matter because they are only going to make up the numbers.

If we want to bring youngsters I would rather have seen a surprising call up like Wickham, Gayle or even Ings. I mean its our 4th choice striker, why not?

Welbeck is 23... a whole two years older than Wickham.

Dwight Gayle is 24, Danny Welbeck is 23...

Edit: Think I may have mis-interpreted what you were getting at so apologies!

England squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

I wouldn't have taken Lampard, I know he is a class player but think we are more in need of a holding cm like Carrick. Only 6 players in the squad have been to a World Cup before, great choice by Roy going to be a breath of fresh air not having to watch the same set of players under achieve at a World Cup!

Archived