IGNORED

England World Cup Squad

Super

Depressing looking at that lot - Jones and Smalling ? Nowhere near good enough, just making up the numbers same for a lot of them tbh.

We aint got a prayer of getting out of the group stage.

Agree, Jones and Smalling? are they not the main reasons why Man Utd have done naff all this season?

Agree.

Welbeck has rarely played as a striker for England. Usually played out wide but still never let us down. Probably one of our best players at the last euros and completely deserves to go. He gets a lot of unfair criticism.

As for our defence we are fragile, don't rate Johnson or Smalling but they are versatile which is an advantage at tournaments. We also don't have much choice with regards to the defence.

Don't think his criticism is unfair. For someone playing for Man United he should be scoring a hell of a lot more goals, but his record for England is ok. Doubtful he'll be starting anyway.

I think he could quite easily play off the left or right or in centre mid. I think it's be a risk to play him centrally alongside Gerrard, but he's a big lad and he's not afraid to put himself about. I wonder if a wild card for the 'box-to-box' role could be Ox-Chamb? Great engine and great ability. I imagine it'll be Henderson though, which would be a sensible choice tbh

Not saying I wouldn't play Barkley out wide or even deeper but he's struggled to flourish in those positions at club level. Was often played out wide when on loan at Sheff Wed and struggled to make an impact but he's obviously drastically improved since then. I just don't think Roy would play him in those roles. As for The Ox I would love to see him play centrally but as you say I think Henderson will get that role.

Don't think his criticism is unfair. For someone playing for Man United he should be scoring a hell of a lot more goals, but his record for England is ok. Doubtful he'll be starting anyway.

When played up top for united this season his goals return hasn't been that bad. When RVP & Rooney are fit he doesn't get a look in but his commitment and work rate is impressive. Like you say though can't see him starting but with Rodriguez being injured Roy made the right choice in Welbeck.

I wouldnt have Wellbeck anywhere near the England Squad

What i find interesting is that all season there has been loads of threads about JET

He scores goals and makes goals for others but is a Lazy ========

But most posters on here would sooner have that than a Donkey who works his socks off but has little end product

Seems ok for that sort of player to play for England!!

good crosser of the ball, brilliant at tracking back and defending and can't play anywhere across the middle!

Plus runs his socks off for 90 minutes, can contribute with the occasional goal and assist.

A no nonsense player that deserves his place and is criticised unfairly by the odd retard, who doesnt understand the game enough to value his role.

Agree, Jones and Smalling? are they not the main reasons why Man Utd have done naff all this season?

Smalling yes, but although stats mean nothing they show Jones has actually been one of united's better players this season, would rather see Jones & Cahill than Cahill & Jagielka if I'm honest.

I said it's "relatively" strong, and I stand by that. There are very few *strong* squads out there now, and we only look very weak in defence, the rest isn't too bad. The same could be said to Argentina and Brazil in all fairness, though going forward they are much stronger. Aside from the elite (Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany), the rest are either behind us or just ahead of us. No way in hell are the likes of France and Uruguay better than us tbh, the Netherlands are roughly where we are, and Italy are the only team out of the top 4 that are ahead of us imo.

Fair enough, that's your opinion, but I think your kidding yourself.

None of the teams you mention will be worried about England.

Jones a at centre half is fine, it's because he plays elsewhere that he gets criticism.

However think he maybe injured and Stones takes the his place...

Fair enough, that's your opinion, but I think your kidding yourself.

None of the teams you mention will be worried about England.

England 2-1 Brazil

Brazil 2-2 England

England 1-0 Belgium

France 1-1 England

England 2-1 Italy

England 1-0 Spain

All in the last 2.5 years, and all respectable results. We may not be in the bracket of Spain and Germany, but they will most certainly be worried about us to an extent.

England 2-1 Brazil

Brazil 2-2 England

England 1-0 Belgium

France 1-1 England

England 2-1 Italy

England 1-0 Spain

All in the last 2.5 years, and all respectable results. We may not be in the bracket of Spain and Germany, but they will most certainly be worried about us to an extent.

How many of those results were in competitive competitions?

How often do competitive competitions come along?

I'm not saying we're up there with the top, but people seem to think we're behind the likes of Portugal, Uruguay and France ffs. No chance.

Been making the same point for ages, we're not in the top tier but teams would rather not play us I'm sure of that.

England 2-1 Brazil

Brazil 2-2 England

England 1-0 Belgium

France 1-1 England

England 2-1 Italy

England 1-0 Spain

World Cup final tournaments are a million times different from meaningless friendlies.

We as a team are not savvy enough when it comes to major competitions.

We have reached one semi final of a a World Cup played outside of England in 60 years,that's not going to change this year imo.

World Cup final tournaments are a million times different from meaningless friendlies.

We as a team are not savvy enough when it comes to major competitions.

We have reached one semi final of a a World Cup played outside of England in 60 years,that's not going to change this year imo.

I haven't heard anyone say England will make the semis or beyond. I think the point was the the so called "big teams" won't look at us like cannon fodder and will have respect the England team.

I haven't heard anyone say England will make the semis or beyond. I think the point was the the so called "big teams" won't look at us like cannon fodder and will have respect the England team.

Every team in the finals will get respected.

But some teams are on a higher level than others,unfortunately we aren't at that level.

Don't be so quick to write us off, I think we're going to surprise a few tbh! Watch this space.

I genuinely hope your right,but I've read the same thing for the last 30 years.

Perhaps someone could look out the thread from the euros 2 years ago,it was exactly the same as this one!

Lampard? on this seasons showing a spent force IMO.

i'm not a great lover of Ashley Cole but I have to say when Mourinho brought him back for the champions league semi's I thought he was terrific.

Agreed on Lampard, I think next season will be his last in the top flight. As for the rest they are about the best we have right now, a fair number of young players is a good thing as nobody is expecting much from us this time. still we can dream :laugh:

Archived