IGNORED

Bcfc On Local Tv 1968-83

spudski

For you younger Members of the Forum.

On Saturday night BBC showed two games on "Match of the Day". Frequently, but not always this would be two First Division clubs. However the BBC stuck to the title of the programme and if the top two teams in Division 4 were playing one another that would be shown (honest).

On Sunday afternoons, each ITV region would show a local game. But HTV got fed up showing us City, Rovers and the three clubs from South Wales so they started broadcasting week after week the games being shown in London. One Saturday City went to Luton and from 1-0 down at half time won 3-1. Anglia broadcast that game on the Sunday afternoon, but HTV decided we'd rather watch Spurs v Stoke.

On Match of the Day I recall City 2 - Blackpool 4 shortly before we signed Alan Skirton from Blackpool (1968?).

In that 75-76 season they showed City beating York 4-1 both home and away.

When City were in Div 1 MOTD one night showed Joe Royle's debut for City in which he scored four goals v M'boro'.

On Saturday night BBC showed two games on "Match of the Day". Frequently, but not always this would be two First Division clubs. However the BBC stuck to the title of the programme and if the top two teams in Division 4 were playing one another that would be shown (honest).

On Sunday afternoons, each ITV region would show a local game. But HTV got fed up showing us City, Rovers and the three clubs from South Wales so they started broadcasting week after week the games being shown in London. One Saturday City went to Luton and from 1-0 down at half time won 3-1. Anglia broadcast that game on the Sunday afternoon, but HTV decided we'd rather watch Spurs v Stoke.

On Match of the Day I recall City 2 - Blackpool 4 shortly before we signed Alan Skirton from Blackpool (1968?).

When City were in Div 1 MOTD one night showed Joe Royle's debut for City in which he scored four goals v M'boro'.

City 0 Preston 0 in Div 3 early 80's was also shown on MOTD for some reason.

This was on The Big Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovZ-Ak3ddKk

Blimey. I remember standing on the Open End on the steps of the Hospital Broadcast box, watching that match. Skirton was like a fast tank playing on the wing for Blackpool

Help me out here. Was MotD on BBC2 in that era rather than on BBC1? Somewhere in my mind I recall being unable to watch the coverage on MotD that evening and always thought it was because we didn't then have a BBC2 ariel.

Blimey. I remember standing on the Open End on the steps of the Hospital Broadcast box, watching that match. Skirton was like a fast tank playing on the wing for Blackpool

Help me out here. Was MotD on BBC2 in that era rather than on BBC1? Somewhere in my mind I recall being unable to watch the coverage on MotD that evening and always thought it was because we didn't then have a BBC2 ariel.

No ,BBC 1. It started on 2 in 1964 for two seasons.

I remember Quigley having one dissalowed for off side, the cameras caught him shouting "**** off" at the lino, Ken Wolstenholme proceeded to say " You can see what Mr Quigley thought of THAT descision " !

You may be thinking of City v Man City (2-2) THAT was on BBC 2 .

I remember Quigley having one dissalowed for off side, the cameras caught him shouting "**** off" at the lino, Ken Wolstenholme proceeded to say " You can see what Mr Quigley thought of THAT descision " !

You're right about the Man City game being on BBC2. Must have missed watching the Blackpool game for another reason.

They used to have a local game for the second match for a spell commentated by a useless Taff called Idwel Robling, it didn't last long !

Idwel Robling won a TV competition to give a viewer the opportunity to become a MotD commentator. He was by far the worst of the candidates and turned out to be every bit as bad as feared!

Haha true, he never really had a bad'un, actually my favourite has to be Wimbledon.

Hat trick at Ashton Gate, 4-2 win, about 1983 I think.

One of his stand out games for me was a night game at Ashton Gate against Swindon. I think it was an FA cup replay. Keith Waugh saved a penalty and I think Steve Neville got a hat trick, but Riley was awesome that night.*Football cliche alert*. I think he covered every blade of grass that night.

Lots of these games are on YouTube. Most of the matches involving London teams are still around. On that list where it says "BFI" the highlights are held by the British Film Institute.

Here's that Blackpool match, City's second appearance on MOTD in 1967:

I think this may have been the game which got Fred Ford sacked, AD was appointed a couple of weeks later, does anyone who saw the game remember?

According to Peter Godsiff's "Complete History of Bristol  City FC", Fred Ford went after a 0-5 defeat home to Everton in the League Cup.

Archived