IGNORED

Rooney Past His Best?

Super

i see stevie G has said scholes is wrong in saying this but he has a point surely. Never scored at the world cup and rarely delivers in big games. will roy have the balls to drop him if he starts poorly in brazil?

Always over rated in my opinion and is not a natural striker. CAM role suits him best. I agree however than England should adopt Liverpool's style of play unless opposition is parking the bus and depending on humidity.

Wouldn't be a bad thing if this was our attack personally. 

Sturridge

Sterling

Oxlade-Chamberlain                           Walcott

He wouldn't be in my England squad, he rarely performs for england, good at club level but not international level,

I think Roy is probbilly the only england manager we've had thats not afried to drop the big names

Lets hope so.

He was fantastic in 2004, but either mediocre / poor / dreadful (or injured !) in 2006, 2010 & 2012. 

He couldn't even control a ball at the last world cup, was it Algeria the 0-0? he was embarrassing that night.

He wouldn't be in my England squad, he rarely performs for england, good at club level but not international level,

I think Roy is probbilly the only england manager we've had thats not afried to drop the big names

Rarely performs? Take a look at his goal scoring record for England.

when was the last time he performed when it counts, compared to him Crouch is messi like at major tournys

30 of his 38 goals have come in competitive games. Not a bad record, World Cup he's been poor, the same as his 10 fellow colleagues.

The harder he tries + the bigger the occasion, the more desperate he seems to be. Loses his first touch and looks sluggish.

I'd rather have him on the bench with Sturridge, Lallana, Sterling and Lambert as our attackers.

thats my thinking too, he just seems to implode on the big stages, most cup finals united have been in he seems to go missing, apart from that cracking goal against barca a few years ago,

I do think we'd be stonger if we have sturridge up top with lalana stirling and barkley behind him,

30 of his 38 goals have come in competitive games. Not a bad record, World Cup he's been poor, the same as his 10 fellow colleagues.

and thats my reasoning we are after all about to play in the world cup a touniment he normally goes missing in,

He hardly had great preparation for either 2006 or 2010. A broken metatarsal  before 2006 and then force off injured against Munich in the champs league (during his most prolific season) in 2010 with ligament damage. He didn't look anywhere near fit for either.

This is his last chance to show what he can do, I just hope that this fact doesn't hinder him as he loses the natural ability he carries as soon as he tries too hard or over thinks things.

Another thing worth pointing out is that Rooney had 10 assists and scored 17 goals in the prem this season. Meaning that he was worth 27 goals- an amount that only Suarez, Sturridge, and Yaya can better. Not bad for an average player. (And consider that this was in a mid-table team  :innocent06: ). 

You said when it counts? Do competitive qualifiers not count then?

how many world cup finals goals has rooney scored?, the only time he's scored in a major tourny is 2004 where he got 4, 2 against switziland and 2 against croatia,

he also scored 7 in quilfiying not 10 3 of those against san marino

• Admin

I think in previous tournaments Rooney has felt the pressure of being our only attacking outlet and buckled under it. Hopefully this time with the likes of Lallana & Sturridge supporting it enables him to play with the freedom he displayed in that first Euro finals.

5 goals in 6 In the euro finals, only 2 short of what he's scored in freindlys.

I believe Rooney is a fantastically talented footballer. A natural. But for whatever reason (s), he can't extract it on the biggest stage.

The 4 goals in euro 2004, were when he burst onto the scene. He was amazing back then. But he never recaptured that and I doubt he ever will, as he was fearless then, but now appears to be very fearful.

He gives the ball away far too often, his touch is usually non existent. He seems unable to overcome confidence issues if he starts a match poorly.

Occasionally he shows what he is capable of, but no way near enough for international level.

He has a prolific goalscoring record, which would be fine on it's own if he were a Michael owen or defoe, but this is a player on whom a nation has pinned it's hopes - our zidane, ronaldo, pele. He has to do more.

Edit: grammar.

Even when Rooney has played poor for England, he's still been heads and shoulders above the rest of the team. He's the only world class player we have now that AC has retired.

AC/DC are still touring - albeit Without Malcolm Young, who has health issues.

If you mean Ashley Cole, the only thing he's world-class at is being a tosser. Long-since surpassed in his position, some of his later performances in an England shirt were shocking.

If you mean Ashley Cole, the only thing he's world-class at is being a tosser. Long-since surpassed in his position, some of his later performances in an England shirt were shocking.

Don't agree... Ashley Cole rarely had a bad game.

Ashley cole is up there with the best left backs england ever produced imo, I too think he was world class not many players use to go past him,

But it was right for Roy not to take him, and he went about his international retirement the right way with an air of grace about him,

Don't like him as a person (based on what I've read on his antics) but as a footballer I have nothing but respect for the bloke

Ashley cole is up there with the best left backs england ever produced imo, I too think he was world class not many players use to go past him,

But it was right for Roy not to take him, and he went about his international retirement the right way with an air of grace about him,

Don't like him as a person (based on what I've read on his antics) but as a footballer I have nothing but respect for the bloke

I must've imagined the many going past him in his latter games then. Cole lived on his reputation that he built by some sterling performances in his earlier games for England where I thought he was our best player on numerous occasions. Unfortunately I think age and ego combined and he retired before he started becoming regularly dropped. He was just as poor under Capello as the majority of our defence IMO.

England are a totally average team thats the problem 

Always have been. But it's only now people are accepting it.

Still, I can't wait for the media to shit all over England once we are out of the WC. They'll be calls for more English players in the PL, more coaches and all that bollocks. It's one big merry go round.

Archived