IGNORED

Rooney Past His Best?

Super

His goal record for Uni-ched is about 0.5 goals per game. He is the 5th top England goal scorer of all-time. You can hardly call that poor.

He might not be in the best form right now but he is a proven player for England and he might actually be fit for this WC as he wasn't for the past two.

I do agree that perhaps he hasn't go on since the early days of 2004 to be that magical player he could have been but still definitely should be in the squad if not the starting line-up.

but he is poor in major tourny's and that's the point we are making, last night proves he isn't fit and shouldn't be starting

but he is poor in major tourny's and that's the point we are making, last night proves he isn't fit and shouldn't be starting

He can't get fit without games before the tournament.

With 2006, we all know he was never fit enough to turn up and play so think it is a bit unfair to judge him on that one.

I'm not saying he is great right now or should definitely start but he has to have a reasonable amount of game time in the warm-up games to see if he can get his fitness back as he has proven how good he can be when he is right.

With 2006, we all know he was never fit enough to turn up and play so think it is a bit unfair to judge him on that one.

I'm not saying he is great right now or should definitely start but he has to have a reasonable amount of game time in the warm-up games to see if he can get his fitness back as he has proven how good he can be when he is right.

and i'm saying he should be dropped, we should play sturridge up on his own with lalana stirling and barkley behind him

Sometimes you have to see a player live to appreciate how good they are. When I went to see us play Northern Ireland at Wembley, Rooney was clearly the best player on the pitch. When I got back to the hotel to watch the highlights, he looked somewhat average. I think what is often missed about Rooney is his off the ball running which for me is far superior to Welbeck.

Sometimes you have to see a player live to appreciate how good they are. When I went to see us play Northern Ireland at Wembley, Rooney was clearly the best player on the pitch. When I got back to the hotel to watch the highlights, he looked somewhat average. I think what is often missed about Rooney is his off the ball running which for me is far superior to Welbeck.

I think he would be perfect as a box to box player.

and i'm saying he should be dropped, we should play sturridge up on his own with lalana stirling and barkley behind him

Not one of those three players have any major international tournament experience, Lallana looked no better than Rooney the other night and hasn't had as good a season as Rooney although his was very good also so why are you not criticizing him? 

Not to mention the fact your judging this on the first friendly against Peru where the whole team were really nothing special, apart from the goal no England player looked particularly amazing in open play, two goals were from defenders at set pieces. And also considering the quality of the opposition, the defence was pretty dire as well, Peru should've scored a fair few times and any higher class opposition would've punished us!

Rooney is the best player in the squad in the position he plays, Barkley has the potential to become one of the best in that position, we should start with Rooney and bring on Barkley later on to stretch the opposition defence.

For me despite his goal I would say Jagielka is the weakest link in the team, I would love to see someone younger and a bit more talented given the chance rather than a 31 year old who has only just come on the international scene the last couple of years.

The best chance England had of winning a trophy was during the Sven era. Back then we had some top players and we bottled it. I am excited about the current crop of youngsters andbelieve Roy has the right mix of youth and experience for this world cup. Listen we have to be realistic, we are not gonna win it. This world cup is all about the new crop gaining experience for the next Euros and worls cup where I believe we will have a much better chance to go far.

As for Rooney I agree SAF wasted some of his talent. Rooney doesn't seem to know what sort of player he is anymore and what his best position is. Personally I have always seen him as simular to Gazza, as such I would play him in midfield and give him freedom to bomb up and down to attack and defend.

I don't know for sure, but I recall we had a fairly decent chance during Sir Alf's reign too.

That is so true actually.

The one time I have seen Rooney in the flesh (admittedly six or seven years ago now), he stood out.

I remember that there was just something about the man, he didn't score or do anything particularly amazing (think he had an assist though) but he had a presence, an aura. There was a sense of threat and danger from him even when the ball was no where near.

Agree completley. However if he isn't fully fit and on form then he shouldn't start, and I'm not convinced Hodgson would take that decision.

What I will say about Rooney is that I can't think of another "top" player who has such a wide gap between his best form and his worst. When he's on form he's brilliant, among the very best in the world bar Messi, Ronaldo and a couple of others. However when he's off form or not fully fit he is dreadful, and the first thing that you notice when he's not right is his first touch, or lack of one.

For me despite his goal I would say Jagielka is the weakest link in the team, I would love to see someone younger and a bit more talented given the chance rather than a 31 year old who has only just come on the international scene the last couple of years.

For me the biggest liability is Glen Johnson, always has been and probably will be until the day he's dropped or packs it in. Yet he is probably still the best English RB at the moment which tells you everything.

For me the biggest liability is Glen Johnson, always has been and probably will be until the day he's dropped or packs it in. Yet he is probably still the best English RB at the moment which tells you everything.

Ah how did I miss Glen Johnson, I would have to agree with you there, I would very much like to see Phil Jones involved over either Johnson or Jagielka

Why's cole a tosser?

I don't get the Cole haters. He left Arsenal for Chelsea, probably for a better contract, but bare in mind he was childhood Arsenal fan. Their must have been more to it than just money.

Yea he cheated on his Mrs, no one else on here ever played the field? Or at least been tempted. Sent a few naughty texts as well, oops naughty Ashley.

On the pitch he has always come across as professional, and has a good attitude towards his career (mostly), especially England.

What he does in his private life is no one elses business to be fair

Ah how did I miss Glen Johnson, I would have to agree with you there, I would very much like to see Phil Jones involved over either Johnson or Jagielka

Its a brave man that splits up a CB pairing that's undefeated in 12 games.

I agree that for the Italy and Uruguay games Id like to see Jones instead of Johnson as hes better defensively, but still offers something going forward.

Rooney was very poor on Friday, just as he was very very poor throughout the last World Cup in South Africa.

There's no denying he is an incredibly talented footballer, but when he's not in the mood, he really stinks.  His first touch, at times, can be Carlton Palmer-esque.

The 3 people who gave the ball away most on Friday were Rooney, Gerrard & Johnson - our 3 most 'experienced' internationals!  Hopefully all 3 will improve dramatically in 13 days time, as all are likely to start so need to seriously up their game.

Rooney was very poor on Friday, just as he was very very poor throughout the last World Cup in South Africa.

There's no denying he is an incredibly talented footballer, but when he's not in the mood, he really stinks. His first touch, at times, can be Carlton Palmer-esque.

The 3 people who gave the ball away most on Friday were Rooney, Gerrard & Johnson - our 3 most 'experienced' internationals! Hopefully all 3 will improve dramatically in 13 days time, as all are likely to start so need to seriously up their game.

Unfortunately his first touch was even not as good as Charlton Palmer-esque. Johnson like many others including the likes of Ashley Cole are overrated and that is why we seldom win anything.

Eh? he must have done something for you dislike him, if not you would be a odd and somewhat worrisome person to know.

He comes across as a little arrogant child. Overrated also IMO

Plus he did the dirty on Cheryl, he can't be right.

I don't get the Cole haters. He left Arsenal for Chelsea, probably for a better contract, but bare in mind he was childhood Arsenal fan. Their must have been more to it than just money.

Yea he cheated on his Mrs, no one else on here ever played the field? Or at least been tempted. Sent a few naughty texts as well, oops naughty Ashley.

On the pitch he has always come across as professional, and has a good attitude towards his career (mostly), especially England.

What he does in his private life is no one elses business to be fair

So the fact that he tweeted that he "hated England and English people", the fact that he lied to a court about speeding through a busy town centre at 104mph, that he shot a kid with an airgun and tried to squirm out of any blame, that he sent a picture of his dick to a random girl, makes him sound like a great bloke to you does it?

Add in the contract jiggery pokery, incredible greed and the fact that none of his team mates like him, and you have - as Lew says - an arrogant and overrated tosser.

True world class player and never let England down.

As for Rooney, he hasn't reached his full potential - same as a lot of English players.

Maybe this tournament will be the one if he's fit enough....

That last line is the key

He hasn't gone into a tournament fully fit since 2004, and even this year seems like it might be a struggle

That last line is the key

He hasn't gone into a tournament fully fit since 2004, and even this year seems like it might be a struggle

I'm sure a lot of players don't go in fully fit but never use it as an excuse all the time.

Because Wayne isn't as good as Messi, Ronaldo, e.c.t people think he's overrated. That's absulote bolognaise, he's in the top 25 players in the world. Think of the worlds population, what's he won in his career and what's his goal scoring and assists record for club and country. He's a top drawer premier/champions league/ international player.

The otib coaching experts put him in the same league as suburban league players. Comical

Exactly this.

I can handle people not rating him etc IF they can have a reasoned debate on here with others to back it up. Sadly some can't even spell the word, let alone understand the meaning of it. It's a game of opinions but some on here about Rooney have been laughable. On his day Rooney is class but as you say, some think if a player isn't as good as Messi or Ronaldo then they are 'over rated' or 'rubbish'. We all know Rooney has not had a good tournament since 2004 and at major tournaments since for a variety of reasons he has not performed to an acceptable level. I find it amazing how people can claim he doesn't do it in the big games. His goal scoring record for England is very good and for years he has done the business for United. IF he doesn't perform then I think it's fair he should be dropped, as should any player who doesn't perform but for some to completely dismiss him like they have is ridiculous. 

Anyway, define 'over rated'? Over rated compared to what? Who? I hope he performs and this is the tournament for him, if not he should be dropped but he shouldn't be made a scape goat or be the victim of the standard tournament witch hunt.

Archived