IGNORED

Rooney Past His Best?

Super

I must've imagined the many going past him in his latter games then. Cole lived on his reputation that he built by some sterling performances in his earlier games for England where I thought he was our best player on numerous occasions. Unfortunately I think age and ego combined and he retired before he started becoming regularly dropped. He was just as poor under Capello as the majority of our defence IMO.

Yet another player who is being courted by some of the top clubs that has obviously managed to fool some top coaches, but is unable to pull the wool over sharp eyed contributors on this forum.

Always have been. But it's only now people are accepting it.

Still, I can't wait for the media to shit all over England once we are out of the WC. They'll be calls for more English players in the PL, more coaches and all that bollocks. It's one big merry go round.

I think the difference thus time is what you've said in your first sentence. This time nobody, not even the most gung-ho tabloid pundit, expects us to compete with the best teams.

It's not a bad place to be for Roy. Any performances pulled off will be seen as an unexpected bonus.

Yet another player who is being courted by some of the top clubs that has obviously managed to fool some top coaches, but is unable to pull the wool over sharp eyed contributors on this forum.

Of course, he was a great player, I said that in my post - but the consensus was (correctly IMO) that he was no longer the best and was no longer cutting it.

He was world-class, but in the last few years of England matches he played, he patently wasn't. Some people seem to think players form does not rise and fall and get blinded by past achievements. You still get characters on here who maintain David James was a good goalie for us. "He must be good, he's played for England."

Of course, he was a great player, I said that in my post - but the consensus was (correctly IMO) that he was no longer the best and was no longer cutting it.

He was world-class, but in the last few years of England matches he played, he patently wasn't. Some people seem to think players form does not rise and fall and get blinded by past achievements. You still get characters on here who maintain David James was a good goalie for us. "He must be good, he's played for England."

Thats what I meant by my post I thought he was a WC player but is past his prime and rightly retired (rather then moan about it I'm look at you defoe)

I think the lack of build up in the media is really going to aid us, no one is expecting england to get out of the group, that in turn means we are playing with less pressure then normal which in turn could see players express theirselfs like they do at club level,

I think (personal op) that the england management team are going into this tourniment with an eye firmly on euro 2016 which they won't say in public,

maybe that will aid rooney its too hard to say but I've form my op on previous comp's which he hasn't performed,

Rooney's preparation for the last three tournaments were not the best. Injuries for both world cups.  I seem to remember he went to Vegas before Euro 2012?  So preparation, far from ideal.

However, he is now with the squad.  Taking extra training sessions, and I think he has the right mental attitude.

He hasn't preformed well on the big stage, but I feel injuries have blighted this.

Maybe he thinks this is his last chance to make an impression on the world stage.

Whether you rate him or not, a fully fit and fully engaged Wayne Rooney is an asset for any team.

Stevo

I am not writing England off either.  On any given day they can beat and lose to the top 30 sides in the world.

There are only 6 players from the 2010 squad (Hart, Johnson, Milner, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney) that have survived.  It was a pretty uninspiring squad for SA, Upson, Wright Philips, Carrick and Heskey too mention a few.  I think Roy has more options with better quality. I still feel this team is still 2 years away from full potential.

If we do get out of our group, teams will not want to play us.

Results have gone our way over the last 2 years, with the exception of Germany and Chile.  We have beat the Italians, beat Brazil, beat Belguim.

Its not all doom and gloom.

Rooney is an absolutely incredible footballer. Not comparing the two as it's not fair but Messing has never delivered for Argies at tourneys but you wouldn't leave him at home.

But Messi has delivered in Champions league finals.

My biggest problem with Rooney is he seems to sluggish and overweight these days.

When he was coming through the ranks at Everton and his early utd career he had pace and used to scare defenders, they never knew when to back off or stay tight to him because either way he would have a trick, pace or speed to go past them.

I can't remember the last time he burst through the oppositions defence with his strength, power and speed.

Very talented player that could pretty much do anything in his younger years but imo he could of been better than he is.

My biggest problem with Rooney is he seems to sluggish and overweight these days.

When he was coming through the ranks at Everton and his early utd career he had pace and used to scare defenders, they never knew when to back off or stay tight to him because either way he would have a trick, pace or speed to go past them.

I can't remember the last time he burst through the oppositions defence with his strength, power and speed.

Very talented player that could pretty much do anything in his younger years but imo he could of been better than he is.

It's believed up here in Manchester that Fergie is responsible for this. Rather than encourage him to beat a man, the common belief is that Fergie decided he would encourage him to be more like a bulldozer and bulk him up- a good first touch, the ability to hold the ball up  bringing others into the game and the ability to bully his way passed people (al la Drogba). Problem being that Rooney always goes looking for the ball and isn't disciplined enough to maintain his weight properly.

Not sure how much is in it- but a lot of them say it.

It's believed up here in Manchester that Fergie is responsible for this. Rather than encourage him to beat a man, the common belief is that Fergie decided he would encourage him to be more like a bulldozer and bulk him up- a good first touch, the ability to hold the ball up  bringing others into the game and the ability to bully his way passed people (al la Drogba). Problem being that Rooney always goes looking for the ball and isn't disciplined enough to maintain his weight properly.

Not sure how much is in it- but a lot of them say it.

So we can blame Fergie for Rooney not reaching the limits he should of.......excellent! :)

It's a shame that Rooney does not play like he did when he was younger, some players get better with age/experience and some (like rooney?) do not.

Because Wayne isn't as good as Messi, Ronaldo, e.c.t people think he's overrated. That's absulote bolognaise, he's in the top 25 players in the world. Think of the worlds population, what's he won in his career and what's his goal scoring and assists record for club and country. He's a top drawer premier/champions league/ international player.

The otib coaching experts put him in the same league as suburban league players. Comical

Always over rated in my opinion and is not a natural striker. CAM role suits him best. I agree however than England should adopt Liverpool's style of play unless opposition is parking the bus and depending on humidity.

Wouldn't be a bad thing if this was our attack personally.

Sturridge

Sterling

Oxlade-Chamberlain Walcott

I disagree. Rooney is far more effective played up top and when he's told to stay there. His goal tally is very good in the seasons he's played in that role. He's not good enough for the number 10 position.

I also think any team that adopts a high tempo style that aren't used to the climate will struggle due to the conditions. Especially us!

Rooney is no different to any England player of the past 8 years or so, they cannot turn it on against top class opposition, that only happens against average or inferior opposition and sometimes that can even then it can be a struggle. in short we have no world class players IMO, none that would prosper in Spain, Italy or Germany anyway.

Don't agree... Ashley Cole rarely had a bad game.

He's right about one thing though, Ashley Cole is a tosser.

Infact I don't like many players in the England squad, hence why I don't have a interest in international football.

Utter rubbish. Give me City anyday of the week!

He's right about one thing though, Ashley Cole is a tosser.

Infact I don't like many players in the England squad, hence why I don't have a interest in international football.

Utter rubbish. Give me City anyday of the week!

Why's cole a tosser?

Rooney is no different to any England player of the past 8 years or so, they cannot turn it on against top class opposition, that only happens against average or inferior opposition and sometimes that can even then it can be a struggle. in short we have no world class players IMO, none that would prosper in Spain, Italy or Germany anyway.

Ross Barkley would prosper in the Bundesliga La liga or the Seria A NOW Imo..

Basing it on tonight performance I hope he isn't fit to start he was awful

Have to agree. Hoped he would show more but we were much better when he went off which says it all. 1 up at the world cup is the way forward but sadly for Wayne he aint the man for the job. Step forward DS, it is YOUR time.

The best chance England had of winning a trophy was during the Sven era. Back then we had some top players and we bottled it. I am excited about the current crop of youngsters andbelieve Roy has the right mix of youth and experience for this world cup. Listen we have to be realistic, we are not gonna win it. This world cup is all about the new crop gaining experience for the next Euros and worls cup where I believe we will have a much better chance to go far.

As for Rooney I agree SAF wasted some of his talent. Rooney doesn't seem to know what sort of player he is anymore and what his best position is. Personally I have always seen him as simular to Gazza, as such I would play him in midfield and give him freedom to bomb up and down to attack and defend.

His goal record for Uni-ched is about 0.5 goals per game. He is the 5th top England goal scorer of all-time. You can hardly call that poor.

He might not be in the best form right now but he is a proven player for England and he might actually be fit for this WC as he wasn't for the past two.

I do agree that perhaps he hasn't go on since the early days of 2004 to be that magical player he could have been but still definitely should be in the squad if not the starting line-up.

Archived