IGNORED

Plan B From S C?

Aizoon

I may come across like that because I passionately believe in some of these kids/young lads I watch, so I am rightly going to sing their praises.  Of course some will make it and some won't.

I still firmly believe that Forrester will make it big.  As for Oshodi & Norwood.  Well, Oshodi I honestly believe will end up at the very least in League 1 during his career.  Norwood has all the talent but has a dark side holding him back, so although technically I believe he could play at least L1 level, his demons may hold him back.  For me, I no longer sing Nors' praises, as I don't believe him to be the type I want at my club, that's not to say he's not a talented lad though.  So there you go, there's one I can say I was wrong on.

Here's a question for you Harry, why do you never critique any BCFC academy or development squad players?

Here's a question for you Harry, why do you never critique any BCFC academy or development squad players?

Because they're already our players, so I don't need to scout and appraise them.

For what it's worth though, in my opinion, of the latest much talked about bunch, Jack Batten should make it, Joe Morrell will make it, Tom Fry might make it, Connor Evans should make it, Marley Bishop won't make it.

Because they're already our players, so I don't need to scout and appraise them.

For what it's worth though, in my opinion, of the latest much talked about bunch, Jack Batten should make it, Joe Morrell will make it, Tom Fry might make it, Connor Evans should make it, Marley Bishop won't make it.

I didn't really ask you that, but assumed that with your knowledge that you could give us wide ranging critique about players that we actually have on our books and not so much about those that we don't, I for one would find it more illuminating.

Hi Noggers.

Don't worry fella, I don't take the post as sarky.  I enjoy your debates buddy, you are a reasonable and intelligent poster.

To be fair, I'm not advocating signing 'exclusively' under 24's.  Of course I understand and appreciate that balance is needed - my gripe is that I believe the team should be predominantly filled (at least 5 or 6) with players aged between 21-24.  My concern is that SC seems to be completely ignoring this market.  That, for me, does not equal an eye on the future.

Anyway, on to your other points / questions.

As you can probably appreciate, I am loathe to answer some of your questions.  Suffice to say, I don't work for anyone, so this is all completely voluntary and an interest more than a job.  Over the years, I have managed to build up a very good and extensive network of contacts at football league and non league clubs up and down the country and abroad.  Some work for football clubs, some play for football clubs, some work for agencies, some work independently advising football clubs, some play for academies, some coach at academies.  Between all of these I have a trusted network and have been lucky enough to be privvy to a number of dealings inside various clubs (that may or may not include City!)

I hope you don't take offense mate, but I don't really want to share online anything other than that.

I am wholly aware that we can't sign every kid who might turn out to be any good, but I would just like it if City took seriously some of the things I see and hear.  Not wishing to come back to it, as it's been done to death, but the Matt Grimes situation is one example that is particularly frustrating.  The people I know who's opinion I have on this subject (which includes scouts for very big football clubs), are amazed we didn't snap him up long time ago.

Cheers Harry.

Reading between the lines I get your drift and can understand your frustrations on here.

Hopefully City are the club that has the opportunity to consider the recommendations of you and your contacts first, and if so, will be quick to act on the best of them.

Whatever their dominant stated policy on recruitment at any given time, any club - and certainly Bristol City - who failed to acknowledge and follow up such recommendations would be foolish indeed. No one could really deny that if a club signs 6-8 players a season then it makes the utmost sense for a few of them to be young players with real potential and sell on value.

You can probably take heart that despite what SC has said publicly he obviously hasn't actually closed the door on signing outstanding young lower league players when they become available - the overt interest in Freeman and Ayling being notable current examples.

Even if neither of these deals materialise I don't expect Cotterill to confine this Summer's recruitment to over 24's by any means.

Archived