IGNORED

Glastonbury

internetjef

Yep, heading down weds... Forecast is all over place but hopefully not too much rain.

Massive Attack on Sunday the highlight for me personally.

• Admin

I'm giving it a miss too. 

Went every year from 1987-2005, but started to lose the vibe over the crowds of posh students and the relentless greed of the Mean Fiddler organisation, who now control ticketing. 

The line up this year is shocking compared to previous years.

For those two reasons, I wont be touching Glasto with a bargepole for years to come

Can remember the days of wondering down to Bristol ticket shop and buying a ticket in my lunch hour - no panic on the internet.

For me the festival has evolved away from what Glastonbury was all about

Going for the first time this year. The tickets were sold on my birthday last October, seemed like a good idea at the time now as it gets nearer terror takes over me.

Not sure what to really expect, disappointed with the line up but am assured there is something for everyone. Once I get there I'll probably love it and not want to come home, then again I'm not much good at 'roughing it'.

Yep, heading down weds... Forecast is all over place but hopefully not too much rain.

Massive Attack on Sunday the highlight for me personally.

Saw MA at Route de Rock in St Malo a few years back - for me they are a major disappointment live these days, basically just a 3D DJ set. A long way off their prime.

My recommendation is Stickman Cartel cus one of my mates (a big Bristol City fan) is the drummer. They're over at The Rabbit Hole 6.45pm Friday.

I've never been to Glasto and doesn't appeal to me.

I must thank the OP for your recommendation of The Gaslight Anthem's debut - absolutely fantastic album!

Going for the first time this year. The tickets were sold on my birthday last October, seemed like a good idea at the time now as it gets nearer terror takes over me.

Not sure what to really expect, disappointed with the line up but am assured there is something for everyone. Once I get there I'll probably love it and not want to come home, then again I'm not much good at 'roughing it'.

I'm sure, if it's your first time, you'll love it.

See, other festivals are just big gigs in a field, but Glastonbury has "the madness" - there's always something to astound.

My advice would be to spend time away from the big stages, explore the lesser fields and tiny tents. There are 12,000 performers this year and many "unknowns" playing in a coffee tent are total stars.

Just enjoy the scale of the thing. A city the size of Bath (but much, much cooler!) springs up overnight in open countryside. That, in itself, is a mind****.

Make sure you allocate some time to just wandering around- you never know what you'll find. Eat from Grand Bouffe as much as you can. In fact, just eat as much as you can; the food options are awesome. Just go with the flow and see what happens. One of the great things about Glastonbury is how the most banal of situations can turn into the most fun of times

For those two reasons, I wont be touching Glasto with a bargepole for years to come

Can remember the days of wondering down to Bristol ticket shop and buying a ticket in my lunch hour - no panic on the internet.

For me the festival has evolved away from what Glastonbury was all about

Evolved further than that. It was the Pilton pop festival wasn't it?

• Admin

The very first time I went to Glasto back many years ago (in the days when over the fence was the way in for many - and you used to be able to use the local pubs) can always remember meeting a guy smashed out of his head on absinthe, said to me he had hitchhiked from Liverpool to get there, and went on to tell me about how he lived and fed off an industrial wheelie bin !

In normal life, I'd cross the road from people like this, but this is the mad part of the festival.

There is so much to do there you could in theory not see any of the music, keep an eye on the comedy area - Bill Bailey is always a favourite live

Glastonbury has evolved with the times, it had to or it'd been closed down. I find it a lot safer and no where near as crime ridden as the mid 90s for example!

The ticket situation isn't ideal but I don't see any other way they could do it these days.

• Admin

Glastonbury has evolved with the times, it had to or it'd been closed down. I find it a lot safer and no where near as crime ridden as the mid 90s for example!

The ticket situation isn't ideal but I don't see any other way they could do it these days.

Going through Temple Meads on the way home last night the first buses were taking the helpers down to Pilton.

They looked like they had never been away from mum and dad before!

Can't wait to see the emotional mess that they are in when they return next week

I agree to an extent. The invasion of "scallies" in the late 90s had to be addressed. ********* from Manchester and Scouseland roaming in feral packs just getting pissed,fighting and nicking stuff. So I welcomed the fence going up.

I just wish less of a fuss was made of it. If it wasn't on telly you might get fewer Ruperts and Tarquins there.

Eavis should also rethink of the pricing policy for locals tickets. I live 2 miles from the site and get massively inconvenienced by it, yet get no concession at all.

A couple of the guys I usually go to the festival with first attended 'over the fence' and while they admit that there was a certain edge to Glastonbury in the mid 90s that is no longer there, they prefer it now. The organisers have worked hard to keep it unique and while the cost of the tickets and the creeping corporate influence is an issue, it still presents good value for money if you ask me. To be fair, it's easy for someone to say that if they can afford to go! I still reckon it's the greatest place on earth for one weekend a year

It once was glorious ...

A fleeting glimpse for a week of an alternative world where everything did not depend on money.

Cheap or even free.

You could work for a few hours for food and drink with anarcho and hippie left wing collective groups like Daves place. People shared an ideal.

Now its hundeds of pounds to get in, the tide rolled back on alternative a decade ago, even the independant stalls paying thousands of pounds for a pitch are being forced out by the chains.

Glastonbury over prices the traders, who pass that onto the punters who pay over the odds for anything and everything.

Daves place and the teapot cafe and all the others who did it it for love are priced out.

Once Carter USM and the Orb headlined. Now its hip hop high rollers, and tax dodgers getting a Rooney an hour.

Money, money, money ...

It once was glorious ...

A fleeting glimpse for a week of an alternative world where everything did not depend on money.

Cheap or even free.

You could work for a few hours for food and drink with anarcho and hippie left wing collective groups like Daves place. People shared an ideal.

Now its hundeds of pounds to get in, the tide rolled back on alternative a decade ago, even the independant stalls paying thousands of pounds for a pitch are being forced out by the chains.

Glastonbury over prices the traders, who pass that onto the punters who pay over the odds for anything and everything.

Daves place and the teapot cafe and all the others who did it it for love are priced out.

Once Carter USM and the Orb headlined. Now its hip hop high rollers, and tax dodgers getting a Rooney an hour.

Money, money, money ...

Dolly Parton headlining, Using the term Rooney an hour would probably be about right ;)

It once was glorious ...

Cheap or even free.

Money, money, money ...

Do they not still have the Teapot?! That's an institution.

Never been, never will - doesn't interest me at all. Until The Beatles do Friday night, Nirvana do the Saturday and you finish off with the big 4 on Sunday (Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer & Megadeth for any heretics out there!) then wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Seen all the bands that I want to see live, standing, sleeping, shitting in a field for 3 or 4 days surrounded by people off their tits isn't on my wish list at all!

My missus goes every year with a lot of friends and ex Uni chums, but they've all said this is the last year they will go, as Robbo has been saying, they feel it's lost a certain spark over the years and become too commercial

She is devastated that Metallica are headlining.....she doesn't appreciate the finer things in life, hence how she ended up with me I guess!

Archived