IGNORED

Glastonbury

internetjef

I saw a pic on fb that was meant to be James Hetfield hunting, didn't look anything like him to be honest - not saying that he doesn't, but didn't look like him on that

I find shooting animals for fun disgusting, but I'm sure we could dig up skeletons in all bands closets that someone would find disgusting. I'd have watched The Lost Prophets a couple of years ago, for instance.....

Should also add that I'd be quite happy for it to be the big 3 and leave Metallica out of it to be honest, there's been a few things down the years that have soured the taste a little, but there's still something about Master of Puppets that takes me back to being 14 and thrashing around at their gigs

He has a long and well documented past with a gun; was a vocal member of the NRA, but to be fair I think he may have changed his tune after some of the school shootings in the states (to his credit)

I actually like Metallica (not sure I'd be bothered about a full 2 hour headline set though) but I don't think they're a fit for the 'vibe' of Glastonbury as people. Then again, Nicky Wire suggested they should "build some more bypasses across the whole ******* place" last time The Manics played and they're up again so what do I know! I hate The Manic Street Preachers so much...

He has a long and well documented past with a gun; was a vocal member of the NRA, but to be fair I think he may have changed his tune after some of the school shootings in the states (to his credit)

I actually like Metallica (not sure I'd be bothered about a full 2 hour headline set though) but I don't think they're a fit for the 'vibe' of Glastonbury as people. Then again, Nicky Wire suggested they should "build some more bypasses across the whole ******* place" last time The Manics played and they're up again so what do I know! I hate The Manic Street Preachers so much...

Def not a Glasto vibe, that's for sure. One more thing on the tick list for them though, can't knock their career!

Didn't know the Manic's were there, used to love them.....I've turned into one of the people that I thought was sad when I was 20, can't remember the last cd I bought, I still listen to stuff I was listening to between 14 and 25. An old fart if you will! Just prefer bands before they get too big and commercial, love the rawness of early Metallica, Slayer, Nirvana etc, then it gets over produced and it loses something....they make a fortune though, so I'm sure they're doing the right thing!

Def not a Glasto vibe, that's for sure. One more thing on the tick list for them though, can't knock their career!

Didn't know the Manic's were there, used to love them.....I've turned into one of the people that I thought was sad when I was 20, can't remember the last cd I bought, I still listen to stuff I was listening to between 14 and 25. An old fart if you will! Just prefer bands before they get too big and commercial, love the rawness of early Metallica, Slayer, Nirvana etc, then it gets over produced and it loses something....they make a fortune though, so I'm sure they're doing the right thing!

Some bands suit a higher level of production though. The Arctic Monkey's for example, were good because they were raw and aggressive on their first album and then struggled to find a sound for the next two before nailing it on their most recent edition

I still listen to a lot of the music from my youth, but I make an effort to seek out new stuff. One of the things I love at Glasto is just picking a band you've never heard of and going to see them. Last year I saw Savages on a whim and was blown away, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Away from festivals, play about with Spotify; find a band you like and check the 'Related Artists' and domino from there. I'm finding new bands every week just doing that

The thing is not to make to rigid a list of "must-see" names as if you do Glastonbury right you'll never know where or in what state you'll end up!

One year, I saw nothing on the main stages but was blown away by an all-girl 60's styled garage band in vinyl cat-suits;-), a swing band featuring a late-middle aged crooner who relaxed in a comfy chair and smoked a cigar during the instrumental bits, and a cowboy styled hoedown band who covered the Dead Kennedys.

All stuff you might never pay for outside the festival, but in context brilliant!

Some bands suit a higher level of production though. The Arctic Monkey's for example, were good because they were raw and aggressive on their first album and then struggled to find a sound for the next two before nailing it on their most recent edition

I still listen to a lot of the music from my youth, but I make an effort to seek out new stuff. One of the things I love at Glasto is just picking a band you've never heard of and going to see them. Last year I saw Savages on a whim and was blown away, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Away from festivals, play about with Spotify; find a band you like and check the 'Related Artists' and domino from there. I'm finding new bands every week just doing that

Funnily enough I downloaded Spotify onto my phone the other night for that reason, looking for something news. I'll check Savages out - thanks for tip!

I won't try and pretend it's better in the rain, but if you drink enough cider and get into the spirit of it, the rain isn't that big a deal. I wasn't there in 2005 when it was really bad, but 2007 was like the Somme and it was one of my favourite Glastonburys

Not been to Glastonbury for many years. Have some friends going, and checked the line-up out of curiosity: didn't recognise most of the acts, and 2 of the few I would want to see clash (Billy Bragg and Arcade Fire.)

Might go next year for old time's sake if I can get my arse in gear in time.

Is it a mud-fest yet?

I won't try and pretend it's better in the rain, but if you drink enough cider and get into the spirit of it, the rain isn't that big a deal. I wasn't there in 2005 when it was really bad, but 2007 was like the Somme and it was one of my favourite Glastonburys

I went last year, from Tuesday to Sunday and it was 30 degrees every day, except one day it rained all day and there was a bit of flooding... that was probably the best day! The rain doesn't stop anyone from getting in the spirit and it just gives you more to laugh about!

I went last year, from Tuesday to Sunday and it was 30 degrees every day, except one day it rained all day and there was a bit of flooding... that was probably the best day! The rain doesn't stop anyone from getting in the spirit and it just gives you more to laugh about!

Yep, I was there last year- got piss wet through on Thursday night (I think?) then collapsed in the bus queue at the end of the weekend from heat stroke! Really good year last year; it was my honeymoon as we'd got married a couple of weeks before

Yeah Savages are good. Just heard from a mate that The War on Drugs were quality this afternoon, they're playing the O2 Academy in Nov and everyone should make an effort to go!

Yeah Savages are good. Just heard from a mate that The War on Drugs were quality this afternoon, they're playing the O2 Academy in Nov and everyone should make an effort to go!

They're one of my favourite bands around at the minute; I saw them in Manchester a couple of weeks ago and they were excellent. This discussion is not helping my "why didn't I get a bloody ticket" disposition!!!

the rain has never really been something that spoils glastonbury, in my view.  2005 was without doubt the best festival i've experienced, swimming in the mud and whatever else at the bottom of pennard hill and being covered from head to toe in mud all weekend was all good fun.  the sun came out eventually and nobody seemed to notice.

Thinking of doing Glastonbury but I am not the slumming type,so are you allowed to enter and leave the site as you please ?

The reason that I ask is that I would prefer to travel each day and stay in a decent B&B, Is this allowed ?

Yep; a colleague of mine goes with his wife and two girls and stays in a nearby cottage. I think it's cheating but it can be done!

Yeah Slarti, been switching between them and Kaiser Chiefs all night and been impressed with them (although have listened to their albums before). Thought KCs were quite good, even if they're generally speaking a poor man's Blur. Also thought Foster the People were good.

Looking in now. I'm old and subsequently old school. Haven't got a clue about much after 90's. This Arcade Fire seem quite good ,a sort of Neil Young meets The Tubes ! Very good stage presence and theatricals .

Arcade Fire are good performers but a bit dull for headliners

Archived