IGNORED

Bid For Baldock [Merged]

Hartcliffe red

I think Cotts would be gutted if Baldock left. He made him captain and his goals in the latter part of last season were a massive reason why we stayed up and I don't believe we would  be able to attract a forward of his quality to play in this division. If we are to challenge for promotion this season he has to stay regardless whether he agrees to sign an extension to his contract or not.    

Obviously I don't agree.

Cotterill would be a bit disappointed, nothing more, he'd be philosophical about it and fully understand these things happen all the time in football.

I think you're wrong to suggest we wouldn't be able to attract a quality replacement - the signings SC has already made disprove this.

No one 'has to stay', a player leaves and the club moves on.

Any disappointment SC felt would certainly disappear as soon as he got the new man on board, and I suggest, providing it was another exciting signing, the same would quickly apply to the majority of fans.

I think Cotts would be gutted if Baldock left. He made him captain and his goals in the latter part of last season were a massive reason why we stayed up and I don't believe we would be able to attract a forward of his quality to play in this division. If we are to challenge for promotion this season he has to stay regardless whether he agrees to sign an extension to his contract or not.

Surely it was SOD that made Baldock captain?

Obviously I don't agree.

Cotterill would be a bit disappointed, nothing more, he'd be philosophical about it and fully understand these things happen all the time in football.

I think you're wrong to suggest we wouldn't be able to attract a quality replacement - the signings SC has already made disprove this.

Any disappointment SC felt would certainly disappear as soon as he got the new man on board, and I suggest, providing it was another exciting signing, the same would quickly apply to the majority of fans.

If we had ,say ,half of the fee that is being quoted for  :sub: Ulloa,we could find somebody suitable i'm sure .

Obviously I don't agree.

Replacing a quality 20 a season goalscorer is quite different to replacing a player in any other position. They are few and far between. SB is the best striker in this division because he is playing at a level lower than he should be. Lets not let our best/most potent assets leave when we don't need to sell. The City team would be weaker without Baldock and I dont believe a top quality Championship goalscorer would be prepared to drop his wages and a division to play for us.      

Replacing a quality 20 a season goalscorer is quite different to replacing a player in any other position. They are few and far between. SB is the best striker in this division because he is playing at a level lower than he should be. Lets not let our best/most potent assets leave when we don't need to sell. The City team would be weaker without Baldock and I dont believe a top quality Championship goalscorer would be prepared to drop his wages and a division to play for us.      

Agree up to a point with this, Sam is playing at a lower level than his ability and earned his goals last season by working hard for the team, however the main striker this season whether it be Sam or A N Other should hopefully have more chances laid on a plate what with the extra creativty we have in the team. Teams won't have to concentrate on stopping just JET this season as if that is the case Freeman will have a field day.

In many ways Baldock had a bad season last year, he didn't perform very well in cup competitions and missed an awful lot of opportunities yet still managed to be the leagues top scorer. Does that not tell you what a mentally strong player we have on our hands here? Captain material and a leader of men? Probably not, no.

However he does what every striker worth his name does, keeps going. He could of had 40 in the league last season. His work rate and movement is up there with the best in league one. He is a class act on his day and his day will become far more frequent with the likes of Freeman being added to the already lethal partnership of him and JET. I think it's hilarious how Sam gets abuse.

He seems happy here and we for need to sell him. Cut the kid some slack and watch him bang them in next season.

He's priceless to us if we plan on promotion this season, without his goals we would have finished bottom last season.

If Sam want's to go then let him. I'd be gutted but life goes on.

On the other hand if Sam want's to stay but the club still decide to sell him I'd be royally pissed off.

What actually happens in that scenario when another clubs bid is excepted but the player doesn't want to go?

We should be rejecting offers for Baldock unless he wants to go.  If he wants to go, we should be getting a premium price - similar to what we paid for Maynard.

People who think finding a replacement will be easy or even possible are in cloud cuckoo land.  Strikers who score better than one in two like Baldock did last season are rare as **** no matter what cash you have to spend.

It's amusing to see the same two posters who gave him so much shit last season talking him down again at the first opportunity.  Just accept it, he's a lot better than you were willing to give him credit for, and leave it at that.

If true if be surprised if he turns them down - IF a offer is accepted.

More money and higher division.

Would you turn down a promotion and much more money in your job? I certainly wouldn't and I'm sure he is no different and loyalty means **** all.

Players won't leave for the 'love' of a club. That barely exists anywhere in football.

If true if be surprised if he turns them down - IF a offer is accepted.

More money and higher division.

Would you turn down a promotion and much more money in your job? I certainly wouldn't and I'm sure he is no different and loyalty means **** all.

Players won't leave for the 'love' of a club. That barely exists anywhere in football.

Yes but we're led to believe he's happy here and that counts for a lot. Not everyone if driven by money believe it or not - even some footballers. He's still on a very good wage here and actually if you read the Brighton forum they are not exactly flush with cash (they're making huge losses despite new stadium) and so it'd probably only be a fairly modest pay rise.

Plus he'd go there and be 2nd/3rd choice striker. Here he's one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Yes but we're led to believe he's happy here and that counts for a lot. Not everyone if driven by money believe it or not - even some footballers. He's still on a very good wage here and actually if you read the Brighton forum they are not exactly flush with cash (they're making huge losses despite new stadium) and so it'd probably only be a fairly modest pay rise.

Plus he'd go there and be 2nd/3rd choice striker. Here he's one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I can see where you're coming from KITR but, in my humble opinion, your previous comment has it bang on. IF Sammy is as happy as he says he is, sign a new contract, thereby protecting the club and maybe have some sort of release clause in it to protect himself. The board had their fingers burnt by Maynard and, even though he's a good player, we don't want that to happen again with Sammy.

Why ?

Top scorer in Division 3 ,in a poor team for half the season.

Goal scorers like SB are rare .He has the potential to do it at a higher level being an intelligent and mobile player .

2 million is big bucks but hopefully not enough to tempt Lansdown who earns that in a week . ;0)

He has one year left on his contract, that's why

He has one year left on his contract, that's why

It don't matter ,the length of his contract but the fact he has one .

If however wants SB in their side now ,they must make an offer that City can't refuse otherwise bugger off and wait until his contract runs out and then see how much it will cost them .

It don't matter ,the length of his contract but the fact he has one .

If however wants SB in their side now ,they must make an offer that City can't refuse otherwise bugger off and wait until his contract runs out and then see how much it will cost them .

It matters massively.  If his contract runs out we'll get nothing for him

Archived