IGNORED

Bid For Baldock [Merged]

Hartcliffe red

I think 2 millions is a fair price. If they do bid that the club should then offer Baldock a contract. If he doesn't sign then accept the bid. Plenty of other strikers out there that we could get for 2 million. We could easily buy 2 from Joe Garner, Cody McDonald, Sam Winnall and Scott Hogan with 2 million and still have money left. If Baldock does leave im confident Cotterill will replace him with another decent striker.

Blimey, first bid reportedly 1m, second bid 2m ? I would be surprised at such a jump !

Unless we've said that's the asking price. If they offer 2m this early in negotiations, I would say 2.5m and you have a deal, as they will undoubtedly pay it if they really want him and have already planned a 2m bid.

We would be mad not to sell for 2m+ , given we don't even know if he will sign an extension and 2m is big money for a league one club.

We should be rejecting offers for Baldock unless he wants to go.  If he wants to go, we should be getting a premium price - similar to what we paid for Maynard.

People who think finding a replacement will be easy or even possible are in cloud cuckoo land.  Strikers who score better than one in two like Baldock did last season are rare as **** no matter what cash you have to spend.

It's amusing to see the same two posters who gave him so much shit last season talking him down again at the first opportunity.  Just accept it, he's a lot better than you were willing to give him credit for, and leave it at that.

Baldock stated himself he had never had so many chances created for him and he should have scored many more goals.

It is only natural that such a situation would be discussed and put under scrutiny on this fans' forum, particularly at a time when points were so hard to come by.

For the record I hope Baldock stays but it is clearly nonsense for you to state with so much dismissive assertiveness that he could not be replaced. Cotterill's recruits so far give every indication that he would be replaced wisely, and with a similarly exciting young goalscorer.

After all it was Cotterill who restored the confidence and goalscoring form of a clearly ailing striker with an astute positional switch and I'm sure whichever side of the argument we were on at the time we'd all like to give our manager credit for that.

We should be rejecting offers for Baldock unless he wants to go. If he wants to go, we should be getting a premium price - similar to what we paid for Maynard.

People who think finding a replacement will be easy or even possible are in cloud cuckoo land. Strikers who score better than one in two like Baldock did last season are rare as **** no matter what cash you have to spend.

It's amusing to see the same two posters who gave him so much shit last season talking him down again at the first opportunity. Just accept it, he's a lot better than you were willing to give him credit for, and leave it at that.

I have to say, nail on head hit here.

We don't HAVE to sell Sam so the only reason we should is if he puts in a transfer request and then we put him in the shop window and get as much money as humanly possible, because as Nibor says getting a striker with his form is not an easy job.

For the record I hope Baldock stays but it is clearly nonsense for you to state with so much dismissive assertiveness that he could not be replaced. Cotterill's recruits so far give every indication that he would be replaced wisely, and with a similarly exciting young goalscorer.

After all it was Cotterill who restored the confidence and goalscoring form of a clearly ailing striker with an astute positional switch and I'm sure whichever side of the argument we were on at the time we'd all like to give our manager credit for that.

18 goals in 30 games for Baldock under SC.

Can guarantee we've been scouting for a "replacement" for Baldock all last season. As Robbored says it's hardly a surprise firm interest in him is now materialising...

Hogan could be an option, bagged a couple of hatricks towards the end of last season and can play wide in a front 3 or as a proper winger.

I have to say, nail on head hit here.

We don't HAVE to sell Sam so the only reason we should is if he puts in a transfer request and then we put him in the shop window and get as much money as humanly possible, because as Nibor says getting a striker with his form is not an easy job.

That's fine but I assume both you and Nibor are happy if he leaves for nothing next summer? ie "do a Maynard!"

Any club will accept the right bid. The right bud being more ridiculous in as you go up the divisions.

If any bid is accepted then that club are free to discuss terms with SB, simple as. No player is irreplaceable and I hope he stays.

The big BUT....

If the money is right and he can secure 3/4 years on an attractive wage and a thick wedge to signing (on the line) fee - would he stay?

I very much doubt it.

It's naive to include sentiment as part of a player (or agent) decision when based on more money guaranteed for a good few years.

Either way if the club accept any bid, then it's up to him and it won't be an easy decision to make.

Can guarantee we've been scouting for a "replacement" for Baldock all last season. As Robbored says it's hardly a surprise firm interest in him is now materialising...

Hogan could be an option, bagged a couple of hatricks towards the end of last season and can play wide in a front 3 or as a proper winger.

Indeed, the form and promise of Scott Hogan, like Sam Winnall, will undoubtedly have been noted by City.

Amongst a number of others.

I can't understand why anyone would think it would come as a shock to Cotterill, or City, if Baldock should leave.

The club will be well prepared for that eventuality and will no doubt move immediately for the most promising young lower league striker if he does go.

That's fine but I assume both you and Nibor are happy if he leaves for nothing next summer? ie "do a Maynard!"

It would not be outside of our wit to offer him a much improved new contract, with a hefty promotion bonus that would match what he could earn in the Championship.

You get the feeling that he is happy here and has faith that we can mount a promotion challenge this season. We've assembled the sort of team around him which should really suit the sort of striker he is, so there's every reason to hope that he can do even better than last season.

Everything's a gamble in contract negotiations, all of us - including the board and SC - are playing a guessing game, but if he went and we had another mediocre season, would we really be any better off?

Baldock stated himself he had never had so many chances created for him and he should have scored many more goals.

It is only natural that such a situation would be discussed and put under scrutiny on this fans' forum, particularly at a time when points were so hard to come by.

Every striker will say the same.  It isn't natural that you take every single opportunity to discuss Baldock and that more than 9 out of 10 your posts about him are negative.  You've got a chip on your shoulder, and it's bloody obvious.

I am willing to bet that if he leaves we don't land a replacement who does as well as Baldock did last season, and that you'll complain far less about the replacement.

Also, I think only in the heads of the tiny minority who have this grudge did Baldock suffer any kind of confidence crisis and actually he played up front all season, there was no significant change in position.

If he scores in 1 in 2 next season then yep, that's fine.  

The reality is that if he leaves there is very little chance of us signing a player who will score at the rate Baldock did last season.  

Transfers are very risky, and we have a known quantity who is the best in the division.

We have little to gain from taking the risk since the money is not material to the owner.

It would not be outside of our wit to offer him a much improved new contract, with a hefty promotion bonus that would match what he could earn in the Championship.

You get the feeling that he is happy here and has faith that we can mount a promotion challenge this season. We've assembled the sort of team around him which should really suit the sort of striker he is, so there's every reason to hope that he can do even better than last season.

Everything's a gamble in contract negotiations, all of us - including the board and SC - are playing a guessing game, but if he went and we had another mediocre season, would we really be any better off?

Agree with this. Who's to say that Brighton can offer him much more than we are currently paying anyway ? Many of their fans feel that they will struggle this season so it could be that we go up and they go down this coming season. I believe he will stay, sign an extended contract but with a clause that come the transfer window's if we are not challenging then the option will be that he can leave should a given price tag be matched. That would appear to best for all parties.Without him I fear we will be spending another few seasons at least in L1 especially if we replace him with a lower level unproven striker. 

Out of interest (I don't normally care about this kind of thing) is Sammy married? Have kids?

These are both factors which could effect if he wants to leave Bristol or stay. For instance he might not want to pull his kids out of school or his wife might love/loath bristol.

Personally I hope he stays but if he isn't going to sign an extension and a large bid comes in then we would be crazy not to sell. Would be very difficult to replace him though.

Out of interest (I don't normally care about this kind of thing) is Sammy married? Have kids?

These are both factors which could effect if he wants to leave Bristol or stay. For instance he might not want to pull his kids out of school or his wife might love/loath bristol.

Personally I hope he stays but if he isn't going to sign an extension and a large bid comes in then we would be crazy not to sell. Would be very difficult to replace him though.

You make a good point.

From Evening Post........................But Baldock has always maintained he and his partner are happy in Bristol, while he takes his responsibilities as captain very seriously.

Her indoors always has a big say.

Every striker will say the same.  It isn't natural that you take every single opportunity to discuss Baldock and that more than 9 out of 10 your posts about him are negative.  You've got a chip on your shoulder, and it's bloody obvious.

I am willing to bet that if he leaves we don't land a replacement who does as well as Baldock did last season, and that you'll complain far less about the replacement.

Also, I think only in the heads of the tiny minority who have this grudge did Baldock suffer any kind of confidence crisis and actually he played up front all season, there was no significant change in position.

Thankyou for your interpretation of my posts Nibor. But if there's one thing I really can't accept it's posters misinterpreting or falsely exaggerating my opinions on here.

So, once and for all, let me make my views on Baldock crystal clear.

Whatever your opinion, I firmly believe he suffered a crisis of form and confidence over an extended period last season, only relieved by the arrival of Cotterill, his public refusal to substitute him at h/t when he was struggling badly against MKDons, and that astute positional switch. 

No significant change in Baldock's position instigated by Cotterill you say? Really? Cotterill moved him out wide, so he was no longer directly competing soul destroyingly in the air with huge defenders, as you must surely be well aware. Or are you still so vehemently anti- Cotterill that you refuse to give him any credit for this?

Because of this apparent fragility, and the extra pressure of Captaincy, I'm not convinced he is the right man to Captain City this season - for his own good and that of the club - but if Cotts. looks at all the options now available and concludes that he is, then that's fine by me.

I certainly have no grudge whatsoever against Baldock - as I have said, my hope is Baldock stays with City, and indeed fires us to promotion this season as a record BCFC goalscorer. I do not accept however that he is somehow beyond scrutiny, and even criticism.

If he does go elsewhere though, I disagree with you completely that he is somehow irreplaceable. 

There you have it.

You are entitled to disagree with every single point above, but at the same time you should accept that all of them are perfectly reasonable views for someone else to hold, and I don't believe I go over the top in debates.

Perhaps you can get back to disagreeing with people with the reasoned argument you were once renowned for rather than sniping at posters and making things personal.

It's very disappointing that your main contribution to the forum these days seems to be to bring up old grudges against other posters, seemingly for no other reason than at one time or another they refused to accept that Nibor is Right.

For me its a case of Cotts saying to Sammy. Heres yer shirt ( hope sam doesnt read the forum ) this is the club....these are the signings this is the plan , look at the fans ( hope sam doesnt read forum ). You want in and build to make that better sign. If not Take 10 million if not letvhim see his contract out.

Thankyou for your interpretation of my posts Nibor. But if there's one thing I really can't accept it's posters misinterpreting or falsely exaggerating my opinions on here.

So, once and for all, let me make my views on Baldock crystal clear.

Whatever your opinion, I firmly believe he suffered a crisis of form and confidence over an extended period last season, only relieved by the arrival of Cotterill, his public refusal to substitute him at h/t when he was struggling badly against MKDons, and that astute positional switch. 

No significant change in Baldock's position instigated by Cotterill you say? Really? Cotterill moved him out wide, so he was no longer directly competing soul destroyingly in the air with huge defenders, as you must surely be well aware. Or are you still so vehemently anti- Cotterill that you refuse to give him any credit for this?

Because of this apparent fragility, and the extra pressure of Captaincy, I'm not convinced he is the right man to Captain City this season - for his own good and that of the club - but if Cotts. looks at all the options now available and concludes that he is, then that's fine by me.

I certainly have no grudge whatsoever against Baldock - as I have said, my hope is Baldock stays with City, and indeed fires us to promotion this season as a record BCFC goalscorer. I do not accept however that he is somehow beyond scrutiny, and even criticism.

If he does go elsewhere though, I disagree with you completely that he is somehow irreplaceable. 

There you have it.

You are entitled to disagree with every single point above, but at the same time you should accept that all of them are perfectly reasonable views for someone else to hold, and I don't believe I go over the top in debates.

Perhaps you can get back to disagreeing with people with the reasoned argument you were once renowned for rather than sniping at posters and making things personal.

It's very disappointing that your main contribution to the forum these days seems to be to bring up old grudges against other posters, seemingly for no other reason than at one time or another they refused to accept that Nibor is Right.

Moved him out wide?  Nope.  He played as a striker whether in a two, on his own or as part of a front three.  Yes he moved around a lot but he always did that.  He didn't play exclusively wide or tackle back.  He didn't suffer some dramatic drop in form that turned around either.  He continued to make the runs and get in positions to score and had a short dry spell.  It wasn't a big deal for 99% of City fans.

I wasn't a fan of Cotterill's appointment and can't claim to have warmed to him, but you'll notice that I've posted about it a handful of times usually when directly asked, not hundreds of times and in every thread that mentions his name.  I have given Cotterill credit for turning us around last season, and will continue to do so - but this idea he transformed Baldock from a cry baby into a top scorer is complete nonsense, and the facts (goals and assists!) fly in the face of it.  I've never suggested Baldock is beyond criticism, I just think hundreds of negative posts is excessive for our top scorer and indicative of some underlying axe to grind.  

As for sniping, I hope the irony was intentional.  I don't have as much time to read the forum these days so perhaps it's just that the same people posting the same negative hyperbole about the same topics every single time they come up stands out like a sore thumb to me and since Carey didn't get a new deal you seem to have dialled it up a few more notches.  I wonder who will be next if Baldock does move up a level?  Sorry if you feel victimized by that, but if you don't like people bringing up your old grudges you might try not continually drawing attention to them.

If you want some reasoned argument you'd have to provide some yourself.  How exactly did this additional pressure from the captaincy manifest itself during Baldock's golden boot winning season?  What were these apparent signs of fragility that I and everyone else I know who watches us missed?  Who exactly could we sign that would score 20 league goals?  If you explained some of the "reasons" for these views perhaps people would understand why this continual criticism is justified...

if he goes he goes and we are a little bit richer if he stays he stays and we have a 20 goal striker,

Doesn't bother me etherway to be honest as its a part of modern football, as long as he doesn't do a maynard then its fine,

Money will always chuck loyalty straight out the window, if enough money is there hes gone, if it aint he stays. We have a good record of off loading our top goalscorers for money, but we always seem to find another.

Hope he signs a new contract having said that and the club makes a statement about it..soon.

From the BBC article where Elliott speaks about wanting promotion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28151984);

"If I was a 23 or 24-year-old and I pitched up here, I'd want to get stuck into it and be part of what they're trying to build."

Hopefully this sort of talk coming from a senior pro reflects a sense of positivity around the club that will go someway towards persuading the younger players to take the 'gamble' of staying with us to see what the next campaign brings.

I Baldock goes, he goes, and we should be enough from any sale to replace him with hopefully another decent striker, or maybe a couple who could make up the goal scoring we'd be losing.

From the BBC article where Elliott speaks about wanting promotion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28151984);

Hopefully this sort of talk coming from a senior pro reflects a sense of positivity around the club that will go someway towards persuading the younger players to take the 'gamble' of staying with us to see what the next campaign brings.

I Baldock goes, he goes, and we should be enough from any sale to replace him with hopefully another decent striker, or maybe a couple who could make up the goal scoring we'd be losing.

Very true. If Baldock wants to go he won't find it hard to find a move. But that's it, he would have to want to go. If he looks and sees the positive changes the club has made in recent months and prepared to honour his contract, then I can see him here for the year he has left. I think if we fail to get promoted he has every right to look elsewhere next June.

We don't know what is happening with contract negotiations, maybe an extension has been put to him already, maybe months ago? Just because we aren't aware doesn't mean it's not happening. I certainly don't think the club is looking to sell their top scorer, they seem to be recruiting players to help him, building the team around him. Why break it up and have to start again.

But that's football, players arrive, players leave. I guess we aren't really used to our players being sought after, we've had so many in the past ho have just left and even more we've been glad to see the back of. We don't sell many, not for millions anyway. It's all new-ish to us!

As someone said earlier, it'd be far from certain Brighton could even offer him a higher wage ... didn't Luke Ayling turn them down for us?

Even if wages are a bit higher, I can't see Baldock gambling family contentment, club captaincy and promise of an extremely attacking squad for next season for a move and a club who could very likely be in the same division as us in a year's time.

Archived