IGNORED

Best Gig You've Ever Been To....

OK I'm going to go:

Big - Pixies at Glastonbury Festival 1989 / runner-up Roxy Music at Wembley Arena about 2005

Medium - Supergrass at the Pilton Party about 1995/ runner-up The Smiths at Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall in 1984

Small - PJ Harvey at Salisbury Arts Center 1992/ runner-up Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine at the Joyners Arms, Southampton about 1988

It's a sad thing in my life that I used to go to an average of about two gigs a week, even into my 30s, but now family and work has cut that to more like two a year!  :sad26:

I saw Ac/Dc at The Colson Hall on the Back In Black tour, and Springsteen in Birmingham on The River tour, but I try to keep those quiet in case my street cred goes as low as a non league supporting..... oh hang on.

Much cooler gigs were the Clash on several occasions, was anyone else there when the Sikh Elvis impersonator was supporting and Stewart Copeland was filming it all at the Studio?

Saw Madness and The Specials a few times, and I think I saw them both on the two tone tour, before Madness signed to Stiff, but my memory maybe playing tricks on me (vaguely remember it being a matinee gig to get the kids interested)

Psychedelic Furs were always good when they came to town, and there were always plenty of people from Bristol at venues like Goldiggers in Chippenham, Gloucester Leisure Centre (yes really!) and Bath Pavilion (were we once had to walk home from to Fishponds after a disagreement with a few local skins at a Madness gig!)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Colston Hall '75

Super Diamono de Dakar - Yesterdays, King Street '85

Pogues  - Locarno '85

Bhundu Boys - Top Spot Snooker Club '85

The Fall - Fleece, Trinity Centre, Bierkeller, Anson Rooms, Christadelphian Hall

• Admin

Led Zeppelin - Knebworth 1979, absolutely awesome and I believe, the first laser light show at an outdoor festival in the UK. They came on stage at 22.00 and played until nearly 02.00.

A Bristol gig that was an eye opener was Black Sabbath in 1978, supported by the little known Van Halen, who got a couple of encores and had emptied the bars. Sabbath appeared to be pretty pissed off by the ovation that VH got and played through their set and stormed off without an encore.

The Granary was known to throw up the odd surprise, unannounced star, playing under assumed names, saw Robert Plant there amongst others.

Couple of years back, The Saw Doctors at Cropredy festival and at the same festival a band I wouldn't have put down as one I would stay and listen to - UB40, they were great, really professional, knew how to work the crowd and got the whole place dancing.

Reference the post above, I was at a Pogues gig in the Locarno, but i think it would have been late '86 or '87, Shane McGowan was so wrecked when he came on, I was convinced he wouldn't get through the set, but he did, whilst downing the contents of a whisky bottle.

I saw Ac/Dc at The Colson Hall on the Back In Black tour, and Springsteen in Birmingham on The River tour, but I try to keep those quiet in case my street cred goes as low as a non league supporting..... oh hang on.

Much cooler gigs were the Clash on several occasions, was anyone else there when the Sikh Elvis impersonator was supporting and Stewart Copeland was filming it all at the Studio?

Saw Madness and The Specials a few times, and I think I saw them both on the two tone tour, before Madness signed to Stiff, but my memory maybe playing tricks on me (vaguely remember it being a matinee gig to get the kids interested)

Psychedelic Furs were always good when they came to town, and there were always plenty of people from Bristol at venues like Goldiggers in Chippenham, Gloucester Leisure Centre (yes really!) and Bath Pavilion (were we once had to walk home from to Fishponds after a disagreement with a few local skins at a Madness gig!)

Yes, Peter Singh the Rocking Sikh! That would have been summer '82, after Topper had been sacked and replaced by Terry Chimes. Absolutely blistering gig though and the balcony bounced so much I was sure it was coming down!

I was also lucky enough to get to the inaugural 2 Tone tour - the Bristol show at the Locarno. Aged 14, proudly adorned in new Harrington, DMs and Fred Perry shirt. I don't recall a matinee though and Madness were definitely off the tour by that point, having just signed to Stiff, and were replaced by Dexys Midnight Runners. A completely mental night, one of my favourite ever.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Colston Hall '75

Super Diamono de Dakar - Yesterdays, King Street '85

Pogues - Locarno '85

Bhundu Boys - Top Spot Snooker Club '85

The Fall - Fleece, Trinity Centre, Bierkeller, Anson Rooms, Christadelphian Hall

Glad to see The Fall in there, Eco.

I've been to many excellent Fall gigs, including one at Croydon Waterrats where my mate's mate approached Mark E Smith's mum - an unsurprisingly craggy woman who looked like something from the League of Gentlemen.

"your son means so much to me," said this bloke.

"Ee, it's just our Mark!' replied a non-plussed Mrs Smith.

The Redskins at Bristol Bierkeller circa 1986 was probably my favourite.  Others worth a mention, Paul Weller, Glastonbury 1994, The Specials in Cardiff about 5 years ago,  Toots and the Maytals at the Bristol Academy 3 years ago, The Alarm, Colston Hall, 1985, The Strypes in Sheffield this year (the same day we got dicked by Sheff Utd - evening was much better than the afternoon)

Can't think of one that surpasses all others, but a number stand out for various reasons:

New Order at the Hacienda in October 1986. Pretty much the reason I picked Manchester for university, and ticked it off a couple of weeks into my first term.

Smiths at Brixton Academy in December 1986, didn't realise at the time, but it would prove to be their last ever show.

Specials at Dublin Olympia in November 2009: missed them first time around, never thought I would get a chance to see them again. Never seen a crowd so collectively up for it.

Tackhead at International II in 1988 or 1989. Loudest show I can recall. And sublime musicianship.

Chameleons at the Bierkeller in the mid 1980s. Criminally underrated band.

Sisters of Mercy at the Studio in 1984, totally blew me away.

Of the ones mentioned above, also saw the Pogues at the Studio, think it was 1985 and the tour for Rum Sodomy and The Lash. And saw the Fall a few times, including the Anson Rooms, probably also 1985 ish. I recall seeing the Cramps at the Studio around 1985, and not having seen such an intimidating mosh pit before.

Of the ones that got away, regret not being old enough to see Joy Division, not taking up an offer to see the Clash in Brixton, and not being well enough to see the Sisters again in 1985.

Missing out on gigs is one thing that is a negative of living miles away overseas.

Agree with this. Saw New Order and Balaam and The Angel (I know, I know) at Goldiggers, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Echo and the Bunnymen at Gloucester and Half-Man Half-Biscuit at Bath.

Led Zeppelin - Knebworth 1979, absolutely awesome and I believe, the first laser light show at an outdoor festival in the UK. They came on stage at 22.00 and played until nearly 02.00.

A Bristol gig that was an eye opener was Black Sabbath in 1978, supported by the little known Van Halen, who got a couple of encores and had emptied the bars. Sabbath appeared to be pretty pissed off by the ovation that VH got and played through their set and stormed off without an encore.

The Granary was known to throw up the odd surprise, unannounced star, playing under assumed names, saw Robert Plant there amongst others.

Couple of years back, The Saw Doctors at Cropredy festival and at the same festival a band I wouldn't have put down as one I would stay and listen to - UB40, they were great, really professional, knew how to work the crowd and got the whole place dancing.

Reference the post above, I was at a Pogues gig in the Locarno, but i think it would have been late '86 or '87, Shane McGowan was so wrecked when he came on, I was convinced he wouldn't get through the set, but he did, whilst downing the contents of a whisky bottle.

Only thought it was '85 cos that's when Rum Sodomy & the Lash came out I think but could well have been the dates you mention. Spider Stacey did a great beer tray hitting head routine from what I can remember.

I'm obviously a bit younger than most on this thread (!)

Arctic Monkeys (Cardiff) and Kings of Leon (Swindon) in their very early days are probably my two favourite. Small venues are always best.

Sia Furler at the Roundhouse.

Muse at Benicassim Festival was incredible although I was 'in the moment' so to speak!

Archived