IGNORED

Best Gig You've Ever Been To....

I was at that INXS gig TRL.Me and my mates were so minging with sweat that when we went to the pub whose name I can't recall after,the landlord gave us all free t-shirts.

I was minging with sweat as well. I didn't get a free tee shirt, I also didn't get lucky that night!

Good gig though

Kraftwerk at the top rank (? - the ice rink  venue) in bristol.

Hawkwind at the lyceum, london (wierd night, the place was chock full of hells angels)

Stranglers in southampton top rank

discipline (re formed King Crimson) at the granary

more recently the Fantasy Orchestra Bowie night was good fun!

Inxs at the Victoria rooms felt surreal at the time

I went to see The Farriss Brothers at the Largs Bay Hotel in Adelaide and then went on the beer with them after the show. They later changed their name to INXS.

Saw AC/DC there as well back in the days when they first started out and Bon Scott was alive.

That's him !! He is now retired and living the quiet life on August Bank Holiday Island which is halfway between Easter Island & Christmas Island

I always thought that August Bank Holiday Island was the Isle of Wight...you live and learn

Glad to see The Fall in there, Eco.

I've been to many excellent Fall gigs, including one at Croydon Waterrats where my mate's mate approached Mark E Smith's mum - an unsurprisingly craggy woman who looked like something from the League of Gentlemen.

"your son means so much to me," said this bloke.

"Ee, it's just our Mark!' replied a non-plussed Mrs Smith.

Haven't seen her at a gig yet bit apparently she is a regular. 

I brought MES a whisky in the Seven Stars before the Fleece gig in and he kindly wrote a christmas card to my then 6 yr old daughter, which probably meant more to me than her.

I'm obviously a bit younger than most on this thread (!)

Arctic Monkeys (Cardiff) and Kings of Leon (Swindon) in their very early days are probably my two favourite. Small venues are always best.

Sia Furler at the Roundhouse.

Muse at Benicassim Festival was incredible although I was 'in the moment' so to speak!

Was that at the Great Hall (Cardiff Uni) with We Are Scientists supporting? NME tour I think. If so, that was a mental gig.

A few of my favourites over the past couple of years have been Janelle Monae, Mogwai, The National and Jurassic 5 at the O2. Going back 5 years ago ish Vampire Weekend and The Black Keys at Anson Rooms were both excellent. Also, Animal Collective at Trinity and The Mountain Goats. Oh and Sigur Ros at Colston Hall.

Was that at the Great Hall (Cardiff Uni) with We Are Scientists supporting? NME tour I think. If so, that was a mental gig.

A few of my favourites over the past couple of years have been Janelle Monae, Mogwai, The National and Jurassic 5 at the O2. Going back 5 years ago ish Vampire Weekend and The Black Keys at Anson Rooms were both excellent. Also, Animal Collective at Trinity and The Mountain Goats. Oh and Sigur Ros at Colston Hall.

Yes it was that gig. Superb evening.

I remember the NME tour coming to Bristol one year and watching, in one evening, Futureheads, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs and Killers at the academy. 2004 it was. Great night!

Would love to see Jurassic 5.

Yes it was that gig. Superb evening.

I remember the NME tour coming to Bristol one year and watching, in one evening, Futureheads, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs and Killers at the academy. 2004 it was. Great night!

Would love to see Jurassic 5.

Yep, I was also there for that one - crammed in like sardines. I remember Brandon Flowers face, couldn't believe the whole place was singing along to every word...

This is a hard choice, seen some great ones. 

Recent , Jim Jones Review and the Strypes are brilliant . Sadly Jim Jones are on their farewell tour now.

I've seen all sorts from the 2tone tours to Motorhead and haven't seen many bad ones, Housemartins stand out and Kolonel Kilgore's Vietnamese formation surf team at the Lacarno was truly amazing, for a local band to sell it out was special.

Special mention for the Manics, Bluetones, OCS, Jam , Tanya Donely...

see I said it was dificult , I'll stop now.

Worst ones , Cameo (I was married at the time and dragged along , obviously never going to last) Secret Affair (IoW and Fleece) and Paul Weller's acoustic tour.

This is a hard choice, seen some great ones. 

Recent , Jim Jones Review and the Strypes are brilliant . Sadly Jim Jones are on their farewell tour now.

I've seen all sorts from the 2tone tours to Motorhead and haven't seen many bad ones, Housemartins stand out and Kolonel Kilgore's Vietnamese formation surf team at the Lacarno was truly amazing, for a local band to sell it out was special.

Special mention for the Manics, Bluetones, OCS, Jam , Tanya Donely...

see I said it was dificult , I'll stop now.

Worst ones , Cameo (I was married at the time and dragged along , obviously never going to last) Secret Affair (IoW and Fleece) and Paul Weller's acoustic tour.

I was at the Colonel Kilgores gig, a bloke I knew from school was in the band. There was a great buzz beforehand around the venue, but to be honest after the Ride Of The Valkeries opening on the screens I thought it went rapidly downhill.

I was at the final Kilgores gig too. Musically speaking I couldn't possibly appraise it as I was way too pissed and it was a VERY long time ago. But I do remember being impressed with the whole formation dancing on the dance floor - it seemed like 75% of the audience had been to some secret rehearsal!

While I'm here: Pogues, Studio 85

Housemartins, Bierkeller, 85,

Undertones, Locarno, 79

Ramones, Studio, 89

Ian Dury, Colston Hall, 79

SLF, a million times

The Jam, Locarno, 80

The Stranglers, Locarno, 80

U2, Locarno, 81

The Damned & Anti Nowhere League, Locarno, 81

New Order, Trinity, 81

Selecter, Locarno, 80

Adam & The Ants, Locarno, 80

Half Man Half Biscuit, Tropic, 86

Vice Squad & Lunatic Fringe, Granary, 81

Echo & The Bunnymen, Berkeley, 80

Wah! Heat, Berkeley, 80

The Teardrop Explodes, Locarno, 81

I won't get started on the 90s.

Wurzels on Weston Pier ;)

Pendulum were bloody good live.

But Kasabian were out of this world, especially in Ibiza! 50 Cent wasn't far behind. Saw 'e in the biggest club in the world joined by Balotelli, Mayweather, Jordan Henderson, the Ox and Paris Hilton! I say joined... They were in view from!

AC/DC at Download festival a couple years back. Only the second time I have seen them and it was the Monsters of rock anniversary in front of 100 thousand people at Donnington- they smashed it. 

Others in no particular order:

Radiohead at the Wolverhampton Civic.

Imogen heap at Manchester academy 3.

Eighties Matchbox b-line disaster at Manchester Club academy.

Blur at the Wolverhampton Civic.

The Music at the Manchester Ritz.

Prince at the Manchester Academy- I was lucky enough to get a ticket for one of the small venue shows in Feb. Seriously good.

Rage against the Machine at Download.

Rammstein at Download (I get free tickets every year so a lot of the bands I have seen are here!!) - I never thought a show where a German man dressed in bondage suit pretended to shag a gimp whist giant penis shaped cannons spray the crowd in foam would be in my top shows I have ever seen...... but there you have it.

Mew at Manchester academy 2.

Gallows at the Roadhouse.

Nick Cave... every time I have seen him.

Sure there are others but this is off the top of my head.

afraid I haven't seen a lot of gigs in Bristol....

The Charlatans always put on a good show, seen them a few times over the years. Metallica and Anthrax back in the late 80s were fantastic live, particularly Anthrax, they knew how to involve the crowd, which when you're 16, pissed and just had a go on a cigarette that tasted a bit funny you really get in to!

Two stand out though. Onslaught at CH or Hippodrome in 89. Not the flashiest band, but I loved them. Just stood there and played, beautiful. And The Stone Roses last summer in Finsbury Park, didn't miss a beat all night, played the classics and made me feel 16 again, without the funny tasting fag this time!

Cider Manc, you may remember last year I asked where to go for indie music up your neck of the woods? Ended up in a place called Lock 91, or something similar and saw The Rivertairs. If you like your guitar playing indie bands then these guys are worth looking up, fantastic stuff

On a side note Rival Schools came in the shuffle on the way home tonight....anyone else into them? Used For Glue is in my top 5 fav songs of all time. If you've not heard it give it a shot on YouTube, guitars and drums. Beautiful

The Charlatans always put on a good show, seen them a few times over the years. Metallica and Anthrax back in the late 80s were fantastic live, particularly Anthrax, they knew how to involve the crowd, which when you're 16, pissed and just had a go on a cigarette that tasted a bit funny you really get in to!

Two stand out though. Onslaught at CH or Hippodrome in 89. Not the flashiest band, but I loved them. Just stood there and played, beautiful. And The Stone Roses last summer in Finsbury Park, didn't miss a beat all night, played the classics and made me feel 16 again, without the funny tasting fag this time!

Cider Manc, you may remember last year I asked where to go for indie music up your neck of the woods? Ended up in a place called Lock 91, or something similar and saw The Rivertairs. If you like your guitar playing indie bands then these guys are worth looking up, fantastic stuff

On a side note Rival Schools came in the shuffle on the way home tonight....anyone else into them? Used For Glue is in my top 5 fav songs of all time. If you've not heard it give it a shot on YouTube, guitars and drums. Beautiful

I'll check them out matey. Lock 91 is a bit of a hidden gem- despite being right next to Deansgate locks-  a cracking little bar but very much on the pricey side.

Archived