IGNORED

Everything on the Botswana / South Africa Tour (Merged)

B-Rizzle

Is anyone aware of the details of this tour e.g. How long are the club staying in each place?

Also, are they currently staying at the same place that England stayed in during 2010 World Cup or just somewhere in a similar area? Rustenburg I think it is...

Im sure there's lots of good PR in it but i still dont really get this tour. Surely the players would have benefited more from staying here and playing a pre season against stronger opposition. Plus it would have saved money for the club.

the club aren't paying for it, lansdown is,

Im sure there's lots of good PR in it but i still dont really get this tour. Surely the players would have benefited more from staying here and playing a pre season against stronger opposition. Plus it would have saved money for the club.

Please tell us more about the strengths & weaknesses of Township Rollers & the Botswana national team.

Having not seen as much of them as you clearly have, I'd be interested to know who their key players are and what formation we can expect them to play.

Thanks.

It's gone a bit flat for me now. I have no interest in seeing the team do community work in Botswana as I think there is plenty they could have achieved here in their home city. There won't be any further transfer dealings for a couple of weeks either, and I'm not expecting much more anyway. The World Cup is over. Our season suddenly seems a long way off again. Back to watching the Tour de France and later the Commonwealth Games it is then...

the club aren't paying for it, lansdown is,

It is a strange one.

I can't see it makes business sense.  If its just for PR, who benefits?

If its philanthropic, just send some money for new community facilities and the like.

Perhaps the club believe Botswanian (?) players are the next big thing? The other African nations seemed all tied up with top level english and european sides, so maybe they think there is a new market in up and coming talent. This may sound unlikely, but no more unlikely then getting players from Ghana, Ivory Coast et al did 20 years ago.

Their fans just look like they enjoy their football nothing wrong with that. I'm hoping the trip will be a humbling experience for players from their otherwise sheltered materialistic lives. I just hope the club doctors are forcing the anti malarial down their throats, last thing we need is half the squad going down with malaria. 

I'm more concerned about the pitches we'll be playing on that may make concrete feel soft on the toe? Maybe I'm being unfair but even going to Latvia the (ahem) heavier members of our squad like McCombe came back with ankle injuries that crocked them for the first part of the season.

I've been to "Gabs" the Capital ... It isn't malarial.

I really see no obvious benefit in going there v some other there closer.

All for charidee ... Send a cheque Steve.

Meanwhile last weekend thousands of kids and parents were tuther side of the natch wall in Ashton Park.

Potential Bristol Sport customers of the future from under seven sizes up ..

A football tournament HERE and what were Bristol City doing and what will they be doing next week?

Their fans just look like they enjoy their football nothing wrong with that. I'm hoping the trip will be a humbling experience for players from their otherwise sheltered materialistic lives. 

Hate to do it but; This.

We moan players don't care, and realise how lucky they are to have 'made' it, and having travelled in sub-Saharan Africa myself, it certainly gives you a hell of a reality check, so hope this impacts on the players.

Plus, can see it being more of a bonding experience than some two week jolly to Portugal or Spain, where disinterested locals turn out to watch us play some 'Big' team's B-side.  Those 'mental' fans will certainly make our lads feel like the game means something, because to them and their team, it most likely will.

Realise folk on here love a moan, but it is what it is; try and see the positives.

Hate to do it but; This.

We moan players don't care, and realise how lucky they are to have 'made' it, and having travelled in sub-Saharan Africa myself, it certainly gives you a hell of a reality check, so hope this impacts on the players.

Plus, can see it being more of a bonding experience than some two week jolly to Portugal or Spain, where disinterested locals turn out to watch us play some 'Big' team's B-side.  Those 'mental' fans will certainly make our lads feel like the game means something, because to them and their team, it most likely will.

Realise folk on here love a moan, but it is what it is; try and see the positives.

Well said mate

Hate to do it but; This.

I like what you're saying but I don't think that calling bullshit on something should be considered "moaning".

I like what you're saying but I don't think that calling bullshit on something should be considered "moaning".

Fair enough, but what do you mean by "calling bullshit"?  That suggests you're exposing some kind of obvious flaw, while I just don't agree/see it.

I presented a counter argument to the negativity; you want to do similar?

Fair enough, but what do you mean by "calling bullshit"?  That suggests you're exposing some kind of obvious flaw, while I just don't agree/see it.

I presented a counter argument to the negativity; you want to do similar?

And PS - Was saying that we, as fans, moan about players being spoilt, not about us moaning about the Botswana tour, so your quote marks were misplaced.

Sorry for the misplaced quote marks. I think that the tour to Botswana is ridiculous but, yes, positives can be drawn from it. The team has to go because the owner has obliged them. I wish he wouldn't do things like that. Like I wish he didn't set up some vanity brand like Bristol Sport and ram it down our throats.

Sorry for the misplaced quote marks. I think that the tour to Botswana is ridiculous but, yes, positives can be drawn from it. The team has to go because the owner has obliged them. I wish he wouldn't do things like that. Like I wish he didn't set up some vanity brand like Bristol Sport and ram it down our throats.

you do know that you don't have to buy any of the stuff, also how is it different then branded addias stuff being rammed down our throats, or anything branded for that matter?

Archived