IGNORED

Everything on the Botswana / South Africa Tour (Merged)

B-Rizzle

Sorry for the misplaced quote marks. I think that the tour to Botswana is ridiculous but, yes, positives can be drawn from it. The team has to go because the owner has obliged them. I wish he wouldn't do things like that. Like I wish he didn't set up some vanity brand like Bristol Sport and ram it down our throats.

Again; fair enough.  I know there are different perspectives on Lansdown, but personally I don't see this tour being bad for the club.

People do realise some of our fans are traveling out there today and helping to build a school? Hardly a worthless "vanity project".

Exactly.  

Hate to do it but; This.

We moan players don't care, and realise how lucky they are to have 'made' it, and having travelled in sub-Saharan ;Africa myself, it certainly gives you a hell of a reality check, so hope this impacts on the players.

Botswanna is an up togther country by "Ka" standards. Proper roads, good hotels ... Food ... Electricity and water from pipes that is not brown.

Lived in Africa.

If it is about "we're lucky us" headpspace exploration go to Kenya and Tanzania or Zambia or Malawai or Zim ... Maybe not Zim many don't like whitey, or anybody that does.

Not even sure the locals are that interested in football either.

Went to a game between Osarian and Mummias in Kenya and hundreds came round the ground to stare at I thinking he with the red face sun burn might be a new signing ...

you do know that you don't have to buy any of the stuff, also how is it different then branded addias stuff being rammed down our throats, or anything branded for that matter?

If you team up with a proper brand, you have the opportunity to generate revenue. Real, outside revenue. And there's no danger of "Adidas" cannibalising "Bristol City" in brand terms.

It's not so much what is written on the shirt, or how it's designed that's the problem. It's the intention behind it. Our own brand is being diluted/replaced by another.

Botswanna is an up togther country by "Ka" standards. Proper roads, good hotels ... Food ... Electricity and water from pipes that is not brown.

Lived in Africa.

If it is about "we're lucky us" headpspace exploration go to Kenya and Tanzania or Zambia or Malawai or Zim ... Maybe not Zim many don't like whitey, or anybody that does.

Not even sure the locals are that interested in football either.

Went to a game between Osarian and Mummias in Kenya and hundreds came round the ground to stare at I thinking he with the red face sun burn might be a new signing ...

Having been to some of those mentioned, but admittedly not Botswana, thank you for the insights.

That said; still a very different experience for most of our squad, compared to what they will have been used to.

Most pros today grow up in the academy system, and their commitment to making it in their profession limits their ability to travel widely, certainly outside of football related activities, or at least that is the experience of several current pros I know. 

Again; fair enough.  I know there are different perspectives on Lansdown, but personally I don't see this tour being bad for the club.

Exactly.  

I'm sure, samo II, that if you became a billionaire over night (maybe you are already but I'm presuming you're not) and bought BCFC, you would not force the team to go to Botswana just because you had other business interests there. I'm also sure that you would do everything in your power to protect the brand of Bristol City rather than have it diluted/replaced by your own personal, Bristol-based sport brand.

If you team up with a proper brand, you have the opportunity to generate revenue. Real, outside revenue. And there's no danger of "Adidas" cannibalising "Bristol City" in brand terms.

It's not so much what is written on the shirt, or how it's designed that's the problem. It's the intention behind it. Our own brand is being diluted/replaced by another.

theres plenty of danger addias not sending through the shirts or trainingware on time which happened last season,

I'm sure, samo II, that if you became a billionaire over night (maybe you are already but I'm presuming you're not) and bought BCFC, you would not force the team to go to Botswana just because you had other business interests there. I'm also sure that you would do everything in your power to protect the brand of Bristol City rather than have it diluted/replaced by your own personal, Bristol-based sport brand.

I'd rather have a unique bristol based brand then a faceless sweatshop corparation one,

You're right; I'm not a billionaire, unfortunately. 

I think I've stumbled on some deeper issues that aren't really anything to do with my original post, so I'm out.

So I'm even more confused why a League One football team should be needed to build a school for them?

You already have one: Bristol City. Why create another one?

who's shirts were produced by Addias and Puma now they are done in house through Bristol Sport, its Still a Bristol City shirt so what is your problem

or is your problem as I suspect Lansdown himself?

who's shirts were produced by Addias and Puma now they are done in house through Bristol Sport, its Still a Bristol City shirt so what is your problem

or is your problem as I suspect Lansdown himself?

Bristol Sport now owns a textile factory? Oh come on, Monkeh.

Please try and debate the issues at hand rather than make insinuations.

So I'm even more confused why a League One football team should be needed to build a school for them?

By Western Standards its still poor ...

I've worked for charity. Voluteered for months living away. Different field mind... But not sure about this Botswanna sketch. Is it really the best use of money v giving it direct.

There is Community work in BS3 - 4 to do. A Bristol City resource is being taken to another continent.

They must be a good side, beat the Police 2-0 in a Premier League match!

Rollers v  Police.

Do you think Sting would get the better of Les McKeown in the air?

So many negative 'cup half empty' people on this forum. Seriously, cheer the puck up!

For what it's worth, my opinion is that...

The Botswana tour is a positive thing. A weeks training camp at England's 2010 World Cup base - can't argue with that! Followed by a week experiencing something different in Botswana, playing competitive games against local sides. This trip will raise the profile of City in the country and arguably the games will be more beneficial than some naff Spanish B team where nothing matters. There'll be atmosphere and 'hype' around our games out there as well.

Bristol Sport is about raising the profile of Bristol sporting teams in Bristol. As has been said a million times it makes us more marketable as companies can sponsor rugby and football teams at the same time. It also further marginalises rovers as bristol rugby and city are effectively side by side now. Bristol Sport will simply oversee the business side of the club - it's incredibly positive from my point of view.

In conclusion, stop being a much of miserable bar stewards, life's not all that bad and as BCFC fans we have a lot to be optimistic about both on and off the pitch!

So many negative 'cup half empty' people on this forum. Seriously, cheer the puck up!

The Botswana tour is a positive thing. A weeks training camp at England's 2010 World Cup base - can't argue with that! Followed by a week experiencing something different in Botswana, playing competitive games against local sides. This trip will raise the profile of City in the country and arguably the games will be more beneficial than some naff Spanish B team where nothing matters. There'll be atmosphere and 'hype' around our games out there as well.

Bristol Sport is about raising the profile of Bristol sporting teams in Bristol. As has been said a million times it makes us more marketable as companies can sponsor rugby and football teams at the same time. It also further marginalises rovers as bristol rugby and city are effectively side by side now. Bristol Sport will simply oversee the business side of the club - it's incredibly positive from my point of view.

In conclusion, stop being a much of miserable bar stewards, life's not all that bad and as BCFC fans we have a lot to be optimistic about both on and off the pitch!

Instead of sunning themselves in Africa I would have preferred to see players attending kids football tournaments at Ashton, Brislington, Mangotsfield, Yate, or wherever they are. The Community Trust did appear at Yate, but are too thinly spread to be regularly obvious across Bristol.

I would prefer to see Bristol City and its Community trust spending an intensive week interacting with the Community here, and creating alliances with children and parents, businesses, schools and footbal clubs, and on it goes.

Money spent on flights could run a festival of footbal in BS3, open day, skills schools, tournaments the list is only limited by imagination.

That is how to marginalise the Gas here , and position the football club as an obvious active participant v a peripheral one in the Community.

• Admin

All very nice, but nothing there actually benefits the supporters or community in and around Bristol

What do people think about the number of friendlies we have arranged - only 5 at the moment, doesn't seem that many to get a squad up to match speed, assume there has to be something arranged for August 2nd at some point?

Instead of sunning themselves in Africa I would have preferred to see players attending kids football tournaments at Ashton, Brislington, Mangotsfield, Yate, or wherever they are. The Community Trust did appear at Yate, but are too thinly spread to be regularly obvious across Bristol.

I would prefer to see Bristol City and its Community trust spending an intensive week interacting with the Community here, and creating alliances with children and parents, businesses, schools and footbal clubs, and on it goes.

Money spent on flights could run a festival of footbal in BS3, open day, skills schools, tournaments the list is only limited by imagination.

That is how to marginalise the Gas here , and position the football club as an obvious active particapant v a peripheral one in the Community.

Where as i completely see where you are coming from, and agree that interaction with the community is important, this is not a holiday for the players or the staff, they are on a program which has obviously been planned out in order to prepare the team for the start of the season. The management team obviously see this necessary for preparation, and there are many positives to be gained from going out to Africa. And it's not as if the community trust only go out to one gig a year to meet the community, they are constantly trying to encourage youngsters to engage with not just football, but sport in general, for example they were down for the Portishead game interacting with kids. My point being, the team have a job to do, they can't be constantly going to kids tournaments, they need to prepare for the season ahead. 

All very nice, but nothing there actually benefits the supporters or community in and around Bristol

What do people think about the number of friendlies we have arranged - only 5 at the moment, doesn't seem that many to get a squad up to match speed, assume there has to be something arranged for August 2nd at some point?

But the trip is first and foremost a pre-season training camp in the same way we've been to Spain and Portugal in previous seasons. They're staying at England's World Cup base for goodness sake. Can't get much better than that as far as training camps go.

we only had 6 last season

Where as i completely see where you are coming from, and agree that interaction with the community is important, this is not a holiday for the players or the staff, they are on a program which has obviously been planned out in order to prepare the team for the start of the season. The management team obviously see this necessary for preparation, and there are many positives to be gained from going out to Africa. And it's not as if the community trust only go out to one gig a year to meet the community, they are constantly trying to encourage youngsters to engage with not just football, but sport in general, for example they were down for the Portishead game interacting with kids. My point being, the team have a job to do, they can't be constantly going to kids tournaments, they need to prepare for the season ahead.

I seriously doubt that the management team see going to Botswanna as necessary.

The Community trust is tiny in relation to Bristol.

My son attended Bristol City Comunity Trust coaching before joining a developement centre [non City] and saw no players in six months, speaking to other parents whose kids attended elsewhere this is normal.

Being active in kids coaching in Bristol you get to see how much contact there is between Bristol City and football at grass roots. There is a window there all the time to do better, other clubs are moving into it.

Bristol City FC have the opportunity every summer to make significant improvement in supporter and community engagement ... They are in Africa.

I serioulsy doubt that the management team see going to Botswanna as necessary.

The Community trust is tiny in relation to Bristol.

My son attended Bristol City Comunity Trust coaching before joining a developement centre [non City] and saw not one player in six months, same for the parents.

Being active in kids coaching etc in Bristol you get to see how much contact there is between Bristol City and the football at grass roots. There is a window there all the time to so better, other clubs are moving into it.

Bristol City FC have the opportunity every summer to make significant improvement in supporter and community engagemnet ... They are in Africa.

It is literally no different than if they went to Spain or somewhere else in Europe for a week or two; calm down.

They are in and around the city and available for community work 50 weeks out of the year; targeting this trip as an example of them forsaking that duty is missing the point of it.

As the video says, and as the management have spoken of before, for them this is about making the team as prepared as they can be for a positive season, not really about them building relationships.  

And with all due respect; I'd rather they were all over shacked up at a international class training facility for a week preparing for the season, away from the distractions at home, than a week of community work.  They can do that during the campaign.

Archived